Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Retooling Window ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, as far as the new brakes, some say this is a downgrade because they are not using Brembo anymore.

Name brand is irrelevant. Plaid brake pads suck massively & they are pads made by Brembo. Swap those pads out with a set of PFC pads from unplugged, and your car will instantly stop faster like it should from the factory.

• Love
Reactions: lowtek
Name brand is irrelevant. Plaid brake pads suck massively & they are pads made by Brembo. Swap those pads out with a set of PFC pads from unplugged, and your car will instantly stop faster like it should from the factory.
I agree, brand doesn't matter. 2mm thinner rotors, smaller pads and covering them to look like the old brakes doesn't give me much confidence that Tesla is only improving the brakes. The article is mainly about the Y brake changes being spotted, so there is that. Time will tell if the S Performance brakes are improvement, or just cost cutting.

Reactions: Sam1
I agree, brand doesn't matter. 2mm thinner rotors, smaller pads and covering them to look like the old brakes doesn't give me much confidence that Tesla is only improving the brakes. The article is mainly about the Y brake changes being spotted, so there is that. Time will tell if the S Performance brakes are improvement, or just cost cutting.
I won't defend the move from Tesla, but closed pot and open pot calipers make no difference. Both are single piston rear brakes and the caliper cover *should* help dissipate the heat pretty close to a closed pot setup.

With identical brakes though, you have to start looking at what you're really getting for that extra $10k or whatever it is now.

That might not be an ideal solution. High performance pads tend to generate more brake dust, squeal more, need warm-up, and more aggressive on rotors. Would be nicer if Tesla just went with a bigger rotor, caliper, and more pistons.

I have an old rice rocket with 4-piston Stoptech big brake kit. It stops on a dime, stops mediocre when cold, generates a ridciulous amount of brake dust, and eats my rotor.

Reactions: aerodyne
That might not be an ideal solution. High performance pads tend to generate more brake dust, squeal more, need warm-up, and more aggressive on rotors. Would be nicer if Tesla just went with a bigger rotor, caliper, and more pistons.

I have an old rice rocket with 4-piston Stoptech big brake kit. It stops on a dime, stops mediocre when cold, generates a ridciulous amount of brake dust, and eats my rotor.
They're street pads, they sell different track pads for that reason. Also, I don't care about rotor or pad wear, I'd rather have my car stop properly and replace parts as needed. It did not do that from the factory.

Reactions: wornout
They're street pads, they sell different track pads for that reason. Also, I don't care about rotor or pad wear, I'd rather have my car stop properly and replace parts as needed. It did not do that from the factory.

They do advertise these as "street + track day" pads.

They do advertise these as "street + track day" pads.
Meaning you can use them for an occasional track day but they won't hold up to real track abuse.

I can tell you that they do like more heat that the OEM pads, but it doesn't take much at all. When cold they stop a little better than OEM, but after just a little bit of heat they will nosedive your car and stop on a dime. I had to upgrade my rotors too, but that's just because of a desert thing - otherwise I would have left the OEM rotors on there. Here there's an issue with a ton of dust and gunk building up on the pads and I needed a slotted rotor to keep the pads cleaned off. But that is the case with any car I've owned here, not just Tesla. Easy to ruin a rotor when you're doing a hard brake from 150+ with gummed up pads.

Reactions: wornout