Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Chevy Blazer EV: Up to 320 mile range, MSRP between $45-$66k, plus a “Police Pursuit” model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The exterior is fine, but the interior it's still a bunch of little plastic buttons, "overloaded" design of dash with curves, edges, and so on.. those ugly vent holes.. couldn't it be done nicer?
They use a new platform but still an old design.
GM has to save the best interior for the Cadillac model.

Chevy Blazer was only meant to compete with the Tesla Model Y, so there is no point in putting in a nicer interior.

After teasing the public with small glimpses since March, General Motors has officially unveiled the 2024 Chevy Blazer EV, including trim details, estimated range, and pricing. In addition to four varying trims, GM is designing a Police Pursuit Vehicle. Here’s what we’ve learned so far.

Table of contents​

Quick recap​

The public first caught wind of the Chevy Blazer EV at GM’s CES 2022 event. Although the all-electric Silverado was main focus of that presentation, GM CEO Mary Barra did leave the Las Vegas crowd with last surprise at the end.

That’s where we got our first glimpse of the Super Sport (SS) trim of the Blazer – the first performance trim of any EV under the Chevy marque, but that’s about all we learned at the time. This past June, GM offered a more robust tease of its Blazer EV, confirming it would arrive as a 2024 model in the Spring of 2023.

According to a Tweet from Barra, the world would learn more on July 18. Well, here we are and as promised, GM has shared plenty of tasty new details regarding the Blazer EV and all four of its upcoming trims. Here’s a look at three of them to start:

• Chevy-Blazer-EV-SS.jpg
    Chevy Blazer SS EV
  • Chevy Blazer EV
    Chevy Blazer 1LT EV
  • Chevy-Blazer-EV-RS.jpg
    Chevy Blazer RS EV
  • Chevy-Blazer-EV-SS.jpg
    Chevy Blazer SS EV
  • Chevy Blazer EV
    Chevy Blazer 1LT EV

Chevy Blazer 1LT EV

Chevy Blazer EV comes in four trims, plus PPV for the cops​

When we’ve covered the limited details of the Blazer EV in the past, we’ve had specific questions pertaining to trim levels, range, whether it’ll be AWD, and of course, how much it will cost. Well GM has answered all those questions and then some in a press release coinciding with a public debut event held in Los Angeles this evening.

Let’s start with the trims themselves. In addition to the SS variant that was originally teased, the Blazer EV will arrive in three additional trims, each offering different motor configurations, ranges, and interior designs. All trims are built upon GM’s Ultium EV platform.

Although the SS is the only model that comes with all-wheel drive standard, it is an available option in two of the three other trims. Here’s how they compare side by side (including price).

Chevy Blazer EV Trim1LT2LTRSSS
Wheels19″19″21″22″
Powertrain (Standard)FWDFWDFWD or
RWD
AWD
AWD available?NoYesYes–––
GM Estimated Range*247 mi293 mi320 mi290 mi
Starting MSRP$44,995$47,595$51,995$65,995
* – Dependent on battery pack size (although GM has not shared battery capacity yet)
Although we’ve learned a lot more about the various trims of the Blazer EV, the SS remains the focus of GM’s latest release. With AWD standard propulsion, the Super Sport EV is estimated to deliver 557 horsepower and 648 lb-ft of torque.

It also comes capable with Wide Open Watts (WOW) mode, which is similar to Watts to Freedom mode on the GMC Hummer EV. GM estimates the Blazer SS can sprint 0-60 mph in under four seconds. Here are some more images including a head-up display (HUD):

Chevy-Blazer-EV-SS-Side.jpg

Chevy Blazer EV

Chevy Blazer EV

Chevy-Blazer-EV-Roof.jpg

Chevy-Blazer-EV-seats.jpg

Chevy-CBlazer-EV-Trunk.jpg

Other cool features​

Chevy also shared that the Blazer EV will be capable of achieving 11.5 kW on Level 2 AC chargers, and 190 kW on DC fast-chargers – equating to about 78 miles of range in ten minutes. That being said, the automaker did not specify which model(s) can achieve those charge rates.

We asked a Chevy for clarification and were told those charging specifics will be revealed at a later date. In the meantime, here are some other cool features to look forward to:

• Full LED exterior lighting, with choreographed walk-up/walk-away animation on RS and SS
  • Super Cruise hands-free driving technology available on compatible roads
  • ADAS features like Reverse Automatic Braking and Advanced Park Assist
  • LT trims feature a monochromatic appearance
  • RS features a black grill and other black accents
  • SS has unique front grill, two-tone color scheme including a black roof and A-pillars
  • Front lighting on RS and SS conveys the state of charge while the EV is plugged in
  • Tailgate can open hands-free when the key fob is recognized by the sensors at the rear
  • Hands-free start – the driver simply pushes the brake pedal after closing the door
Despite being on the Ultium platform and part of GM’s Ultium Charge 360 network, Chevy gave zero mention of plug and charge capabilities on the Blazer in the press release. We asked GM to clarify and learned that the all-electric Blazer will in fact have Plug and Charge capabilities. Phew!

Chevy Blazer EV

You may soon get pulled over by police driving a Chevy Blazer EV​

In addition to the “civilian” models of the all-electric Blazer outlined above, Chevy is developing a model specifically designed for the officers in blue called a Police Pursuit Vehicle (PPV). Per the release:

Chevrolet also relayed its available trims will offer different range and design catered to fleet and commercial customers, so the Blazer EV appears to be quite versatile already. Let’s have a look inside, shall we?

Chevy-Blazer-EV-1LT-Interior.jpg

Chevy Blazer EV

Comparison (or lack thereof) of the interiors of the Chevy Blazer 1LT and 2LT

Interior​

No matter what trim level you decide upon, the interior of the Blazer EV features a 17.7-inch-diagonal touchscreen, an 11-inch-diagonal Driver Information Center in the instrument cluster, and LED lighting throughout. From there however, the interiors change quite a bit as you move up the trim hierarchy.

As you can see in the image comparison above, there is virtually no variation between the 1LT and 2LT trims of the Blazer EV, perhaps just slightly different seat materials. Look below. When you get to the RS, you’ll see huge differences, and even more variations when you get the the SS interior.

Chevy Blazer EV

Chevy-Blazer-EV-SS-Interior.jpg

The RS interior (left) vs. the SS (Right)
Below are some additional interior features:

• Two-row layout and flat floor provide ample space and storage options
  • Standard ambient lighting with personalization function on RS and SS trims
  • Unique RS and SS trim and design cues
    • Blue and red contrasting stitching on the RS
    • Sueded microfiber seating on the SS, Adrenaline Red seating surfaces, and available Argon Orange accents
  • Heated and ventilated front seats on RS and SS, along with heated rear outboard seating positions that are standard on SS and available on RS as an add-on
  • Heated steering wheel on RS and SS
  • Sculpted vents inspired by turbines

Chevy Blazer EV reservations and delivery timelines​

We’ve already shared “how much,” but naturally your next question has to be, “when?” To cap things off, Chevy has shared sales/production timelines for the Blazer EV as follows:

The start of sales kick off in the summer of 2023 with the 2LT ($47,595) and RS ($51,995) trims. The SS ($65,995) will follow later in 2023, followed by the 1LT ($44,995) and PPV in Q1 of 2024.

The electrified Blazers will be built at GM’s production facility in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico where the combustion versions of the Blazer are currently manufactured. Blazer EV reservations are now available on Chevy’s website. Want more Blazer? Check out Chevy’s detailed video below:

It’s genuinely an “old-fashioned” design. Outside and in. Bland AND fussy!!!! How did GM manage THAT contradiction? Yet they have.

Just saw the review of new Cadilac EV, and it takes about 20 seconds to "boot up" the car to be ready to drive after you pushed start button. Isn't it slow? I hope this chevy will not have the same
And they totally stole the glovebox opener from Tesla!!! 😅

Edit: Also, I noticed its range is 312 miles at 100 kWh battery, and a 1000 lbs more weight than Model Y. And it is significantly smaller than Model Y based on what I see (and no frank). Sure, GM has to put all the useless jewelry junk in it to sell to certain segments of the population...

Last edited:
If Tesla uses pouch cells and Elon said that it is great while other automakers use cylinder cells, you would be singing the praise of pouch cells right now.
Nope, I'd be questioning sanity or motives of anyone suggesting such a move. LFP - any format you like. High power/pressure nickel based? Different entirely. Mobile phones only have a tiny energy source, less risk. More put together (large tablet, laptop, powerbank) - the more energy & risk. All of these devices are generally used/stored at comfortable temperatures and rarely stressed like car cells.

If you choose not to accept this, you can't be persuaded. I hope others might just think for themselves.

In any case, GM, most other OEMs have little chance of manufacturing Battery-only vehicles simply through lack of cell supply, which itself is based on not thinking through the supply chain & not securing long deals on important raw materials and refining (lithium) capacity. Then piecemeal use of cells across multiple models will prevent any volume production efficiencies, essentially hand made

Edit powerbank/risk/volume production

Last edited:
Just saw the review of new Cadilac EV, and it takes about 20 seconds to "boot up" the car to be ready to drive after you pushed start button. Isn't it slow? I hope this chevy will not have the same
Bong bong bong bong bong

That won't get annoying - hope it can be switched off?

On button?

Supercruise physical chips can be sent Over The Air (methinks reviewer / GM Marketing don't really understand much)
1658397409189.png

Reactions: Spuzzz and SO16
If Tesla uses pouch cells and Elon said that it is great while other automakers use cylinder cells, you would be singing the praise of pouch cells right now.

This is a ridiculous statement. The design differences between pouch vs. cell from an engineering viewpoint alone make it obvious that cell packs are superior from both a thermal and a manufacturing point of view. The only reason some car makers are using pouch packs are because they can get them affordably.

Pulling the Elon White Knight card about this just makes you seem ill informed on the matter.

Well I was hoping for improvements via Ultium in range, charging speed and price (with price of an EV being at least somewhat indicative of price of the battery). Based on the specs, my initial assessment is that GM has achieved about what other manufacturers have achieved in those regards, but no major advances. Perhaps it was unrealistic to hope for more, but I had. We’ll see on how it performs on kWh per mile and what the battery weight is. Those specs are not yet clear.
"Ultium" is just a catchy marketing name, like Packard's old "Ultramatic" transmission, or anything from that era with the "-matic" suffix. We're far from anything close to "ultimate" battery technology.

I'm sure GM has purchased and disassembled at least one of each Tesla model (except maybe the Roadster) in a top-secret R&D lab somewhere hidden beneath the hulk of a burned-out Detroit building somewhere. Tesla continues to innovate and GM is still catching up.

That's what the light show at startup is for, to distract you from the fact that it takes 20 seconds to boot. My guess is GM probably deep-sleeps everything to reduce "phantom drain".

"Ultium" is just a catchy marketing name, like Packard's old "Ultramatic" transmission, or anything from that era with the "-matic" suffix. We're far from anything close to "ultimate" battery technology.

I'm sure GM has purchased and disassembled at least one of each Tesla model (except maybe the Roadster) in a top-secret R&D lab somewhere hidden beneath the hulk of a burned-out Detroit building somewhere. Tesla continues to innovate and GM is still catching up.

That's what the light show at startup is for, to distract you from the fact that it takes 20 seconds to boot. My guess is GM probably deep-sleeps everything to reduce "phantom drain".
You have no idea how the auto industry works.

Every automaker buys its competitors’ vehicles for testing and analysis.

It would be insanely stupid if GM doesn’t do that.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke and SO16
You have no idea how the auto industry works.

Every automaker buys its competitors’ vehicles for testing and analysis.

It would be insanely stupid if GM doesn’t do that.
I was just joking, ascribing some comic-book supervillainy to their actions. I'm sure the R&D center is in a well-known location, not an underground bunker.

Last edited:
Nope, I'd be questioning sanity or motives of anyone suggesting such a move. LFP - any format you like. High power/pressure nickel based? Different entirely. Mobile phones only have a tiny energy source, less risk. More put together (large tablet, laptop, powerbank) - the more energy & risk. All of these devices are generally used/stored at comfortable temperatures and rarely stressed like car cells.

If you choose not to accept this, you can't be persuaded. I hope others might just think for themselves.

In any case, GM, most other OEMs have little chance of manufacturing Battery-only vehicles simply through lack of cell supply, which itself is based on not thinking through the supply chain & not securing long deals on important raw materials and refining (lithium) capacity. Then piecemeal use of cells across multiple models will prevent any volume production efficiencies, essentially hand made

Edit powerbank/risk/volume production
Have you ever considered that there are more than one ways to do something and just because Tesla does it one way doesn’t make it “the best way”?

Imagine if you were buying a new house.

The kitchen doesn’t have cabinets or counters.

The bathroom also doesn’t have cabinets or counters.

The living room and the bedroom don’t come with light fixtures pre installed.

The home builder tell you that it’s for simplicity.

No, that’s just cost cutting.
Call me crazy but I actually like the MY interior. I hate clutter and it’s feels very clean and spacious. I just wish materials were better quality.

I have seen reports of up to 4 Ultium GM/LG battery plants. However, I could not find a report that any of their projects is about to churn out the batteries any time really soon.
In late 2019, the Lordstown factory was announced at 30 GWh projected output
In first half of 2021, the Spring Hill, TN has been announced at ~40 GWh
In early 2022, the Lansing factory has been announced at 50 GWh

Considering there will be no other fully operational at 100% capacity battery plant for GM by 2025, the maximum production of Lyriq type cars will be about 1.2M per year. This is about where Tesla is now. Assuming that Tesla increases the battery and vehicle output in the next 3 years, Mary Barra statements about overtaking Tesla in EV production amounts to nothing else but investor fraud.

But anyway, has anybody seen any news that the Lordstown plant is fully operational by now at any capacity?
I only found a couple interesting, but not widely circulated news:

From the last article, of July 9 2022:
"According to the company, Ultium Cells will launch production at 20 percent of the planned capacity, increasing by 20 percent every three months until it reaches full capacity in the fourth quarter of the calendar year 2023."
And we are talking about 30 GWh 100% capacity by the end of next year that GM only hopes to get.

Have you ever considered that there are more than one ways to do something and just because Tesla does it one way doesn’t make it “the best way”?
Yes, I'm really good at this. I'm very inventive, always looking at innovative ways to do things.

Normally multiple choices, some obviously bad, discount early on (high-energy pouch), others come down to detailed analysis (LFP prismatic & high-energy cylinders - various sizes).

Occasionally I find managers or those with a partisan interest just refuse to get it. Eventually they are crushed by the collective sound of eyeballs rolling and people loudly tut-tutting.

For international readers - Definition of TUT-TUT

Reactions: cpaull and bkp_duke