Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2025 thoughts: Apple Style - refurbish/recycle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JPUConn

Aug 11, 2014
CT
thinking of the model today wth iPhones and there are many overlaps to Tesla future that can be a major game changer to how the world thinks of used cars.

iPhone Today:
  • mass market use - there aren't many people out there who don't have one and are willing to pay premium pricing for older models.
  • production ramp aligning to or exceeding market demand
  • continuous improvement (performance/battery life/memory/size)
  • What seems like can't be improved today is quickly legacy technology in a matter of 1-2 years
model 3/y in 2025?
  • Likely to share points above
To me this brings up a throught of opportunity in business model.

Instead of assuming the cars will run the current ICE model maybe it will transform into the Apple model.

• New - possibly a service model offering with pay per use and activation of features
  • CPO/Refurbished - trade values that make sense for folks wanting new tech and continuing with similar payments as above
  • Limited private resale as new/refurb make more sense
  • Recycling - e waste just as Tesla's have high value components that can be recycled into new goods
Thoughts?

I'm not sure I understand your point and how it differs from reality today.
It's the same model as any technology product... it doesn't follow tradition ICE year models.
???

All of your bullets are already in practice by Tesla.

I'd actually argue that Apple is the slow one with both model years (or twice a year tick-tocks [iphone]) and without continuous improvement... see 2016 macbook pro vs previous model.

Last edited: