Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

-20C : Our Tesla will not charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's February, and you live in Canada. You must be quite the optimist!

You're right, I probably angered the weather gods and we'll be getting a week long -30C cold snap next week. My apologies in advance to anyone else in the area that gets hit by this.

I forgot to mention - my car was set to range mode when this happened, which is not what I normally do, but has been mentioned as a possible contributing factor elsewhere in this thread.

My electrician noted the operating temperature for the wall charger is 22F - i am thinking of installing a garage heater in my exterior garage just to maintain the wall charger above freezing.

Any suggestions or "real world" feedback about this proposed action?

Waste of energy in my opinion.
Is your garage insulated? If so, I would guess you will be fine. If not, insulate it, that will be far cheaper.
I've had a Tesla charging in an unseated, but insulated garage the last 6 winters. Two Teslas the last 3 winters.
Although I have been charging on the UMCs, not the HPWC. I have experienced no issues with the UMCs in Minnesota winters.

Waste of energy in my opinion.
Is your garage insulated? If so, I would guess you will be fine. If not, insulate it, that will be far cheaper.
I've had a Tesla charging in an unseated, but insulated garage the last 6 winters. Two Teslas the last 3 winters.
Although I have been charging on the UMCs, not the HPWC. I have experienced no issues with the UMCs in Minnesota winters.
Getting it insulated / drywalled now (the electrician strongly suggested the insulation and I'm going to decorate a "Tesla Garage" with the drywall!), I'll hold off on the heater. Thanks for the tip!

Getting it insulated / drywalled now (the electrician strongly suggested the insulation and I'm going to decorate a "Tesla Garage" with the drywall!), I'll hold off on the heater. Thanks for the tip!

My pleasure.
If you ask around of other Tesla Club members in MN, WI or IL you may get someone that also has a HPWC.
Considering I have seen HPWCs outside as Destination Chargers, I would think they are quite robust.

My electrician noted the operating temperature for the wall charger is 22F

When I experienced the refusal to charge issue this past winter, it was way colder than 22F! So cold that I decided to bring the UMC into the house to warm up to see if thawing it out would help. It didn't help, same problem.

I'm going to install a HPWC when I get around to putting the new wiring into the garage.

When I experienced the refusal to charge issue this past winter, it was way colder than 22F! So cold that I decided to bring the UMC into the house to warm up to see if thawing it out would help. It didn't help, same problem.

I'm going to install a HPWC when I get around to putting the new wiring into the garage.

Thread revival... did you put in HPWC and solve the issue?

My car is getting dark blue ring after quitting charging somewhere before reaching target %, I'm using UMC and 120V at work.. as I have always done in past winters. This winter... now that its -16C -18C range... I'm noticing this blue ring behaviour. In past years it would keep on trucking glowing green in temps well below this, onboarding power showing some Amps being absorbed. Now it's blue ring and zero. I'm pretty sure it's "too cold to charge" and not enough oomph from 120V source to consider using shore power for battery heating so it just gives up. Range mode always OFF.

I have not yet purchased the HPWC.

This thread brings back sour memories . Next time this sort of thing happens I will take video evidence.

Even though I am an engineering expert at EV drive train and battery technologies , that didn't help my case with Tesla service who couldn't reproduceven the issue.

It's not cold enough yet in Ontario to match the conditions of the OP.

Will keep you posted if anything comes up.

Very happy with our Tesla service center in Toronto , had a very positive scheduled service appointment recently.

Cheers