TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

20K Tread-wear Warranty - Michelin Tires Pilot Sport

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Shurhold, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Shurhold

Shurhold Model S - P#15,582

2. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

Good to know.

Do Tesla Service centers count as MICHELIN tire retailers?

The way it reads, you're likely to only end up with a discount on the price in the end. Received mileage / tread-wear warranty * cost of tire. So if you get anywhere near the tread-wear life of the tire you're not going to be saving that much.

Additionally, if the tread-wear is uneven the warranty does not apply at all.

3. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

That sounds like the rear camber setup would basically disqualify rear tires in short order.

Also wondering what (if?) similar info is available for those with the 21" Continental tires.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Treadwear warranties are basically a way to lock you in to purchasing two sets of tires. Almost all tires will make at least 80% of the warranty or close to it unless there is an alignment problem--in which case the warranty won't cover it. If you get 80% of the warranty life, then the warranty will cover 20% but you are purchasing the second set at MSRP (street price is typically 75% of MSRP), so the treadwear warranty doesn't actually save you anything. Road hazard is different because one can occur at any time.

5. Shurhold

Shurhold Model S - P#15,582

If read the fine print I does not have to be at MSRP. Also, I posted this because I saw many people thinking try we're only going to get 12-15k out of the tires.

6. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I find it very hard to believe the Pilots are going to make much more than 12K even with proper rear camber. It is a heavy car with way too much torque off the line :)

7. gtimbers

gtimbers Member

Good luck with 20,000 miles from a Pilot Sport. Great traction = great wear and the Pilot sport is known for wearing fast. When you consider a 220 tread wear + somewhat undersized tire width + rear camber issue + high torque and regen applied to the rear wheels I would be surprised at anything over 15k miles. I plan to rotate frequently to even the wear out because I hate buying 2 tires at a time.