Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20mm wheel spacers for 2022 Model 3 Performance with uberturbines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: Finally got around to installing the BONOSS 18mm spacers in the front and 20mm in the rear. Fitment is perfect IMO and works fine with no modification to studs. On stock uberturbines with about an inch drop on unplugged performance street/track coilovers.
Good to know. In my correspondence with BONOSS I was advised that I may have to chop the studs but went ahead and ordered the 15mm for the front and 18mm for the rear. I guess we’ll see. I also just received the H&R Trak spacers (17mm and 20mm) as well. Wanted to compare and see which I prefer. I should probably mention that I’m not driving an M3 but a MYP with 21” Uberturbines.

Reactions: XEROLAG
So, I had 18mm BONOSS (formally Bloxsport) Forged Aluminum spacers on the rear of my 2022 M3P...and after about 14k miles, I started feeling a uneven wobbly sensation and noise from my driver-side rear tire wheel well. ...and this is what I discovered. I really loved the way they looked, but at this point, I'm not sure if the spacers are safe, or if it was simply not installed correctly. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2676.jpeg
    IMG_2676.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2675.jpeg
    IMG_2675.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2674.jpeg
    IMG_2674.jpeg
    649.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2673.jpeg
    IMG_2673.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 204
So, I had 18mm BONOSS (formally Bloxsport) Forged Aluminum spacers on the rear of my 2022 M3P...and after about 14k miles, I started feeling a uneven wobbly sensation and noise from my driver-side rear tire wheel well. ...and this is what I discovered. I really loved the way they looked, but at this point, I'm not sure if the spacers are safe, or if it was simply not installed correctly. Thoughts?
6061 or 7075?

Crazy. I have H&R spacers not installed yet but hoping the H&R experience and design doesnt have this issue as well.

Did you track with spacers on?

How is your rear camber as Im thinking excessive camber can induce that kind of stress/strain on the spacer?

Did you torque the wheel lugs yourself to spec? Or a shop?

Crazy. I have H&R spacers not installed yet but hoping the H&R experience and design doesnt have this issue as well.

Did you track with spacers on?

How is your rear camber as Im thinking excessive camber can induce that kind of stress/strain on the spacer?

Did you torque the wheel lugs yourself to spec? Or a shop?
I had the camber adjusted after I installed the Bonoss. I’m running 7075s.

For wheel spacers with built in studs, I would go with at least 20mm thick and strong material. Our car is a heavy car and is only worst with summer tires. Don’t cheap out on these.
also to point out that there was no installation error on your part. It is obvious to tell that the spacers failed. I would reach out to the manufacturer to see what they have to say.

Reactions: DownshiftDre
I have seen this problem before and it's important to see if the 10mm rotor retaining bolt was removed. Can you check to see if your rotor retaining bolts were removed before spacer installation? That is critical item to inspect. Another one that the guys mentioned above is to show us the backside of the spacer to see if it has been clearanced for the step hub. If these are Tesla Model 3 specific they should be but please do share. See this pic below of an Aspira spacer.
1674185032574.png

It is really odd though that yours are wobbled in 2 directions. The other MAJOR red flag with bloxsport and bonoss is the lugnut that they use. They do not use a bulge seat lugnut that will maximize the surface contact area between the lugnut seat and the seat that's machined into the spacer. You can see that the seat of the lugnuts were not making complete contact with your spacer. Only the vertices of the lugnut hex were making contact. That's why I love the Aspira stuff. It's all properly thought out and tested. See below where I highlighted the bulge seat in one of the product pics. I kept bulge seat lugnuts on hand for all the ebay bonoss and bloxsport consumers who come into our place and want them installed. If it's not a bulge seat lugnut I will refuse to install them.

1674184892741.png

I have seen this problem before and it's important to see if the 10mm rotor retaining bolt was removed. Can you check to see if your rotor retaining bolts were removed before spacer installation? That is critical item to inspect. Another one that the guys mentioned above is to show us the backside of the spacer to see if it has been clearanced for the step hub. If these are Tesla Model 3 specific they should be but please do share. See this pic below of an Aspira spacer.
View attachment 897723

It is really odd though that yours are wobbled in 2 directions. The other MAJOR red flag with bloxsport and bonoss is the lugnut that they use. They do not use a bulge seat lugnut that will maximize the surface contact area between the lugnut seat and the seat that's machined into the spacer. You can see that the seat of the lugnuts were not making complete contact with your spacer. Only the vertices of the lugnut hex were making contact. That's why I love the Aspira stuff. It's all properly thought out and tested. See below where I highlighted the bulge seat in one of the product pics. I kept bulge seat lugnuts on hand for all the ebay bonoss and bloxsport consumers who come into our place and want them installed. If it's not a bulge seat lugnut I will refuse to install them.

View attachment 897722
The Bonoss spacers are hub centric.

What’s a good source for the bulge seat lugs?

The Bonoss spacers are hub centric.

What’s a good source for the bulge seat lugs?
I was just referring to someone else's comment to confirm they are stepped for the P hub so have 2 centerbores. They all should be but someone mentioned that might be the cause for the problem. I would just go to a tire shop or something and ask them. Even an auto parts store.

Reactions: Killer Junior
Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question. If we're running 20mm spacers to get flush fitment on stock Ubers (+34 offset), then would you need to have your offset be +14 on aftermarket wheels that is also 20x9? Is the math that simple? Trying to understand the calculation for offsets.

I thought of something this morning that might have contributed to your issue, but it was a concern I had with the MYP. When corresponding with Bonoss about fitment, they mentioned that I might need to shave off some of the wheel lugs to ensure they would seat flush within the inner recesses of the wheel hub. I didn’t feel the need to do this since the 20mm rear setup appeared to sit flush without any modifications to the lugs. Just a thought.

Reactions: OnkelDunkel
@ the OP

Great setup. The black exterior with Ubers' look great. Im new to the tesla world but I just picked up a '23 Model3Perf with 20" Uberturbines and Im starting with the spacers as the first mod.

After some reading through the posts here I came across this recent post from modelplusstudio(Model 3 Performance Uberturbine Wheels Spacer Kit)

it a recent post along with videos and i think it looks great. the description says:
I've contacted @MODEL+ (ModelPlusStudio) via their site and waiting on response/clarification..but If im reading this right does that mean the kit will include a 5mm slip-on(shim) spacer that will sit between wheel and hub? then the rear will be H&R+ 17mm?