Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20x10" squared setup with 275/40 tires.. wh/mi expectations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm convinced I want to switch to this wheel setup. Granted I have the lowly MYSR now but have long planned on selling it and ordering an MYP when the time is right (waiting for Austin.. 4680.. etc). That said.. these wheels/tires look AWESOME on the Model Y and I'd rock them right now on my MYSR. The problem is being short-range, I'm already at the short end of the stick. I'd be fine with a little loss.. but definitely not something like a 10% hit.

What realistic wh/mi expectations should I have?

While it would be great for someone who is actually running this wheel/tire setup on their MYLR or MYP to give me their real-world wh/mi numbers. I understand not everybody pays attention to those exact stats. That said I really would appreciate it if someone could at least tell me did their wh/mi go UP.. or did it go DOWN.. when they switched from the factory wheels?

Doesn't matter if you originally had the 19" Geminis, 20" Inductions, or 21" Ultraturbines. Any numbers will help.. but most important did your wh/mi efficiency go UP or DOWN when you switched to a 20"x10" square setup with 275/40 tires. And of course the more information the better. If you know the weight of your wheels and the name of your tires.. it would help as sticker tires = worst range. Right now Michelin Pilot AS4's are at the top of my list.

I've asked this question like 10x on Facebook groups and Reddit posts.. and its like nobody ever gives me a real answer.

This setup is #1 on my want list. 20"x10" TS5 squared with Michelin Pilot AS4s in 275/40 setup.

Not sure about 275 on 10" wheels but I can tell you that I went with T-sportline wheels which are 255 (like the link you posted) and 9.5" wide with the same Pilot Sport AS 4s and my average wh/mi over 8,000 miles is about 310. I imagine it would only be worse with wider, heavier, wheels and tires.

• Informative
Reactions: Daekwan
Depends on what wheels/tires you are tight now. Anytime you put wider tire and/or latger wheels, you’ll lose range. On average it’s about 8-10% if you go from any aero to non-aero. Gets worse if you go from say 19x8.5 to 20x10. It also might depend on how you drive - faster=less range.

Depends on what wheels/tires you are tight now. Anytime you put wider tire and/or latger wheels, you’ll lose range. On average it’s about 8-10% if you go from any aero to non-aero. Gets worse if you go from say 19x8.5 to 20x10. It also might depend on how you drive - faster=less range.
I get all that. But I'm looking for real-world experiences.. not scientific guesses.

If someone had factory wheels.. then put 20x10's.. specifically with 275/40s.. how much did their avg wh/mi go up or down?

The above posters reply was perfect. He went with 20x9.5 and 255/40s and is currently seeing wh/mi of about 310. The 20x10 with 275/40 will certainly be less efficient. But how much worst without guessing. 320? 330? 340? Surely somebody has this setup and can actually report what numbers they are seeing on their vehicle.. without guessing .

I get all that. But I'm looking for real-world experiences.. not scientific guesses.

If someone had factory wheels.. then put 20x10's.. specifically with 275/40s.. how much did their avg wh/mi go up or down?

The above posters reply was perfect. He went with 20x9.5 and 255/40s and is currently seeing wh/mi of about 310. The 20x10 with 275/40 will certainly be less efficient. But how much worst without guessing. 320? 330? 340? Surely somebody has this setup and can actually report what numbers they are seeing on their vehicle.. without guessing .
It doesn’t work like that. Even on the same setup i have different consumption depending on how i drive, weather and other factors. To have it scientifically exact, one must drive the same way and style with the same conditions for 1000 miles, then change to new tires/wheels and do exactly the same thing again with exactly the same conditions. I have days that i average less than my old narrower wheels, and days i average way more. Hence the rough estimate you’ll always get - 8-10%

Reactions: Suns_PSD
It doesn’t work like that. Even on the same setup i have different consumption depending on how i drive, weather and other factors. To have it scientifically exact, one must drive the same way and style with the same conditions for 1000 miles, then change to new tires/wheels and do exactly the same thing again with exactly the same conditions. I have days that i average less than my old narrower wheels, and days i average way more. Hence the rough estimate you’ll always get - 8-10%

Do you have aftermarket wheels in your Tesla?

Thats pretty damn impressive. Thank you guys for providing real numbers from your recent trips.

God its so refreshing to see someone reply with information that was asked for.. instead on another mission to be another internet know-it-all.

I just for 275/40/20 with Bridgestone ultra AS and it rides amazing and looks great.
PXL_20220606_172813470.jpg

• Love
Reactions: mdsco and Daekwan
I’m doing the opposite and will conduct a BEFORE and AFTER test on my new PMY, but I bought the 18” tire/wheel package with 245/50-ZR18s. For starters they weight 16 pounds less than the OEM 21s.

QA25OAL.jpg

A friend had this package on his PMY and after a long test drive I was convinced this is a great setup for a DD in a climate that has four seasons and roads like Afghanistan. On his tests his wh/mi dropped about 8% and his 0 to 60 by .1 seconds and no fear of curbs or potholes. And the ride was so much better.

Now all I need is my PMY, HURRRY UP Elon.

Last edited:
I’m doing the opposite and will conduct a BEFORE and AFTER test on my new PMY, but I bought the 18” tire/wheel package with 245/50-ZR18s. For starters they weight 16 pounds less than the OEM 21s.

QA25OAL.jpg

A friend had this package on his PMY and after a long test drive I was convinced this is a great setup for a DD in a climate that has four seasons and roads like Afghanistan. On his tests his wh/mi dropped about 8% and his 0 to 60 by .1 seconds and no fear of curbs or potholes. And the ride was so much better.

Thats actually a pretty awesome option. I imagine this is the ultimate solution for comfort + range + reliability. Generally speaking the more sidewall.. the less issues you will have with the tire.

QA25OAL.jpg

What wheels are these? I checked for Model Y 18 packages and I didn't see this style.