TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

20x11 inch wheels on model S ?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Seric, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Seric

Seric New Member

SO, finally got around to buy my first EV car, ended up with a Tesla model S S85D(2015).

Love the car so far, and it exceeds my expectations more than I could have thought.
    So only issue I have is the wheels. The stock 19" wheels does not justify the looks of the car. So looking at some aftermarket wheels. 21 or 22 " is the dream, but as my wife will also drive this care alot, I think I need to be reasonable and get some more comfort from a set of 20's. I'm able to get ha hold of a set of 20" rims at a supergreat deal, but not sure if the rear will fit. Rear rims are 20 x 11, ET 30. Will this fit? Looks like the widest rims usually used is 10,5". Seen a few 21x11, but no 20x11.

2. BigCity

BigCity Member

I would say no based on how close the fit is on my 10.5" for my 20", 21", and 22".....all comes down to the offset which I'm not knowledgeable enough about to comment on personally. With enough offset any width would fit, just depends on how much you want them to stick out from the fender wells lol.

3. Seric

Seric New Member

On your 20" rims, what offset (ET) do you have?

Just did a calculation based on my small knowledge of how offset works (knowledge just found by google :D ), and have come to these numbers.

Calculating distance from the mounting base to the inside of the rim = Center width in cm + ET in cm (( X * 2,54cm / 2)+(ET / 10))

X=rim width in inches,
    ET = Offset in mm

20"x11" with ET30 will have a 16,97cm(6,68inch) distance from the mounting base to the inside of the rim. (10,97cm from base to outside)
    20"x10,5" with ET36 will have a 16,93cm (6,66inch) distance from the mounting base to the inside of the rim. (9,74cm from base to outside)

So numberwise, looks like both these rims should fit regarding clearance to the shock. But clearance on the wheel-wells out-side might be a case......

4. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

You could use this https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator#