Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20x8.5 Wheel Owners: how do 255 tires look?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYP owner here and looking to downsize from 21" to 20" for a square setup. I'd like to stick with 255 stock width. A square shouldered look is preferable; not interested in ANY stretch.

A 10" width wheel is too wide for what I'm looking for and I don't see any 9" wheels. I guess my option is 20x8.5. How do 255 tires look on a 8.5? Is it just right or meaty?

Just to make sure I understand the question—you are not selecting tires by their rolling resistance, their sound level, or their aerodynamic qualities, but by their looks? You have an aesthetic preference for certain tire shapes?

Just to make sure I understand the question—you are not selecting tires by their rolling resistance, their sound level, or their aerodynamic qualities, but by their looks? You have an aesthetic preference for certain tire shapes?
No no. I'm not discounting the ratings, specs, or type of tires. I'm simply asking how a stock sized 255/40 tire would look on a 20x8.5 wheel. Stock 20x9.5 wide and will accommodate 255 fine. The problem with aftermarket is they are mostly in 20x8.5 or 20x10.

No no. I'm not discounting the ratings, specs, or type of tires. I'm simply asking how a stock sized 255/40 tire would look on a 20x8.5 wheel. Stock 20x9.5 wide and will accommodate 255 fine. The problem with aftermarket is they are mostly in 20x8.5 or 20x10.
I can tell you right now that your choice is not a wise one. You'll be off by negative 42 revs/mile.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.44.17.png

This is a 255 on a 20x9, +34 offset. You should be fine with 8.5 and 255.
Thanks PT. I saw your pics on FB previously and was going to ask you about those CF10s since they are one of the few that offers 9.0in width. I've read that the Forgestars only carry a load rating of 1600lbs; any concerns there since I think stock min is ~1900lbs? Also is that pic after the MP coils were installed?

Reactions: pt19713
Thanks PT. I saw your pics on FB previously and was going to ask you about those CF10s since they are one of the few that offers 9.0in width. I've read that the Forgestars only carry a load rating of 1600lbs; any concerns there since I think stock min is ~1900lbs? Also is that pic post MP coils installed?
Since I'm not towing and I won't be doing any drives with 5 people in the car with 200-300+ lbs of luggage, the 730 kg load rating won't be a problem for me.

Yep, the image is with the MPP coilovers. Roughly 1.75" drop. I'm going to most likely lower it another 1/2" in the future. I just want to drive it for a bit to see how things are at this ride height and speed bumps, drive ways, etc.

Reactions: BodegaBay
pt19713, you nailed the look. Could you be post the specifics on the tire/wheel combo along with the suspension/alignment details? I am a newbie to Tesla, so, the more details the better. I've been hot rodding cars my entire life, but, I'm new to Tesla speak. :)
255/40/20 Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires, Forgestar CF10 matte black finish, 20x9 +34mm offset, MPP adjustable coilovers, ride height dropped approximately 1.75". Camber aligned to -1.0 front and rear, MPP adjustable rear camber arms and adjustable rear toe arms.
1619531539912.png
1619531557605.png

Reactions: BodegaBay