Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21” arachnid or 19” base

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many will get on and say the ride is harsher and you will damage the rims on a 21" setup. While that is generally true, it is also true to say that Nevada is hotter than Michigan but yet many people thrive in both conditions.

I have driven on the 21" and so has my wife. She did not think it was harsh but more firm. With the lower sidewall, it is more likely to be damaged in a highspeed pothole so you need to pay more attention.

Personally, I went with the 21" arachnids on the refresh because they just look good and that price is not that bad for a fully forged wheel and that level of tire. The 21" are lighter than the 19". If I end up toasting them or do not like them after all, I will switch them out.

It is your call on what is important in looks and function, but for me it is worth it.

My wife has a LR midnight silver on order and I have pointed out almost daily that the 21 inch rims look so much better than the stock rims especially in that color. We are in our 50s so it seems comfort and practicality have prevailed in her mind so the order remains with 19" even as low profile tires have saved us in the past.

In our 30s we had a young child so safety was paramount although we did not want to completely throw in the towel. Result was a fire engine red Volvo 850R with low profile tires. She went though two or three tire replacements due to speed bumps and pot holes even in sunny San Diego. One day she driving with our son in a car seat in the back and was cut off at an intersection and she stood on the brakes. She blew three tires but never impacted the car that ran the red light. The other car drove off but she didn't really care because those tires saved her and our son from severe injury (at least in our minds.) Don't really know if regular tires would have stopped her in time but don't really think so.

After a few more tire replacements, she eventually sold the Volvo R rims and bought smaller rims and regular tires. Years later, she is going for 19. I guess she feels she drives more conservatively now, she wants the comfort and mileage, and is putting the $4500 toward vinyl wrap. We still tell the story though of when the tires saved her life so there is that...

Reactions: Zaker89
I fully agree that the 21's look better, and the 19's look horrible (at least with the hub caps on). And while $4500 isn't horrible for forged rims and tires, if I'm spending $4500 for rims and tires, they are going to be exactly what I want, not "the only option" granted by Tesla. So I got the 19's, will buy nice aftermarket wheels that look much nicer than the Arachnids for around $4500, and will still have the 19' to sell and get some of that money back.

Reactions: thxphil
I'm in the same situation where I'm considering the stock 19 over the arachnids. Currently I have the arachnids because I much prefer the look of them. I also prefer running summer tires in the warmer weather, and snow tires in the winter. So if I do spend an extra $4500 on the arachnids I'm still looking at spending another 3-4k(ish) on a set of winter tires and rims. That's a good chunk of change.

My preference would be to take the stock 19 (maybe take the covers off and powder coat grey or black) then purchase some lightweight Vorsteiner 20" wheels with summer tires, which would give a little better ride comfort and better protection for the wheels than the 21", but still looking really nice.

Now the issue I have is that I don't know the exact size and offset I need. From this thread Model S 2021 refresh tire / wheel size there was some discussion and I think the 21" wheels will be 21x9.0 front and 21x11 in the back, but there's no way to know the offset until they release that info. All the other S wheels were -40, but it would be foolish to assume is the same, as we know 1) the wheel size is different 2) the rear of the car at least, is wider.

On my last MS (2017) I ordered with the 19' wheels and sold them immediately (think I got about $1k). I ordered 20" Tsportline wheels with Continental DWS tires for about $3k as they were a perfect compromise (looks, sportier and not as rough as 21"). I will do the same when my new Refresh shows up. They have a style that looks just like the Arachnids in either 20 or 21 I think... will just have to wait to see if they have a version for the new Refresh (width, offset my change).

Reactions: Ormond
I'm getting antsy waiting for any official indication from Elon as to potential delivery dates for the LR Model S I ordered on 1/13. So..... today I test drove a 2017 100D (Red with white interior) at a local used car dealership. Nice car, but it seemed that there was a lot of rumbling noise over every undulation in the road. Pretty much a deal breaker, so the dealer said they would look for the cause and get back to me. On the way home I realized the car had 21" wheels and thought that could be the source of the noise. Any thought?

I'm getting antsy waiting for any official indication from Elon as to potential delivery dates for the LR Model S I ordered on 1/13. So..... today I test drove a 2017 100D (Red with white interior) at a local used car dealership. Nice car, but it seemed that there was a lot of rumbling noise over every undulation in the road. Pretty much a deal breaker, so the dealer said they would look for the cause and get back to me. On the way home I realized the car had 21" wheels and thought that could be the source of the noise. Any thought?
Contributing factor for sure

Reactions: FutureShock
Would you recommend 21” ( extra 4500$) or the 19” base for my MS plaid refresh and why?
many reason besides little extra range with 19
It took me a while to make my decision but I ordered with the 19s. I had 21” Arachnids on my P100D and really liked them but pot holes were an issue. The refresh Arachnid tires are wider 295-30-21 compared to mine which had 265-35-21. Since I was having issues before, the refresh with 295-30s will be worse. If the refresh came with 295-35 instead of 295-30, I would have definitely chosen the 21s. I’ll probably get the TSportline in 20”. I’m hopeful TSportline will come out with wider wheels to fit the refresh.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
The 19" wheels are ugly as sin, but I still ordered them for max range on winter road trips. I will get aftermarket 21" wheels that are lighter/stronger than the stock wheels.

To be fair, the Model S has received significant improvements since 2017. The new car, I hope, will have great sound insulation.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
The 19" wheels are ugly as sin, but I still ordered them for max range on winter road trips. I will get aftermarket 21" wheels that are lighter/stronger than the stock wheels.

To be fair, the Model S has received significant improvements since 2017. The new car, I hope, will have great sound insulation.

To get lighter/stronger wheels than the stock 21" arachnids, you will need to go full forged and you will not really be saving money (including tires, etc.). If you are meaning stronger/lighter than stock 19", then that is not hard to do with even good semi-forged wheels.

I'm going to go with an aftermarket 20' and prob use a 265/40 all the way around. That way I can rotate and it should get better range than even the the stock 19's
It's a tough call. Tesla probably spent a lot of time testing different configurations to find the best size for performance, range, and appearance. I'd try to stay as close as possible to the stock sizes. I'm also going to look for 20s but the same width as the stock wheels. Since the stock 19" rear tires are 285-40-19 and the 21" rear tires are 295-30-21, my first choice is a 285/295-35-20. Not sure if 265-40-20s will work, and definitely no spacers.

To get lighter/stronger wheels than the stock 21" arachnids, you will need to go full forged and you will not really be saving money (including tires, etc.). If you are meaning stronger/lighter than stock 19", then that is not hard to do with even good semi-forged wheels.
I did not realize the 21" wheels would be forged. Where does it say the wheels are forged? Or is it just an assumption since the previous arachnids were forged? Assuming they are forged that is a decent value with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (21" Tesla spec PS4S are about $1600).

A few other reasons I want to go aftermarket:
-I don't want summer tires as they are unnecessary for traction and reduce efficiency. Rather go with all seasons.
-Regarding cost, I think one would be able to find a decent rotary forged wheel+tire for under $4500. I was able to get 22" rotary forged wheels for my Model X for about $3k with tires.
-Different/better look vs. stock.

I'm going to go with an aftermarket 20' and prob use a 265/40 all the way around. That way I can rotate and it should get better range than even the the stock 19's
Unless the aftermarket wheels have aero caps, the stock 19" will be hard to beat. Aero and tires are mostly what dictates efficiency.

Reactions: bhzmark
As someone who had both the 19's and 21's on my 18 Model S I can attest that there is a vast difference in performance and handling characteristic of the car. That difference will be further amplified on the Plaid. 21" is the only choice!
I agree but it depends how the roads are where you live. I had the 21” on my prior model s. I loved the look but the low profile tires didn’t get along well with the pot holes. The roads are pretty rough in the NE. Really wish the new Arachnids came with a 285-35 instead of a 295-30.