Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21” arachnid or 19” base

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with 19" wheels, then replaced them with aftermarket 20" wheels and staggered tires. If you get the Tesla 21s, it looks like every other Tesla in the world. Save your money and spend that $4,500 towards something unique.

1623261320043.png

Yeah, I didn't actually think you did a simulator, that was my point. You, like the rest of us have zero experience with a yoke. So how did you form your opinion that the yoke is non intuitive and clunky if you haven't actually touched a real or virtual one?
Hunting for buttons in the dark for cruise, turn signal etc instead of stalks IS clunky. Matters not. I canceled my order today due to Bait and Switch of the silver Tempest wheels for butt ugly ones. They showed up as silver the day I bought online and stayed silver for months til today when they are butt ugly black wheels.

A good car maker/dealer would have a demo model on hand to try out. Tesla is neither imho.

Hunting for buttons in the dark for cruise, turn signal etc instead of stalks IS clunky. Matters not. I canceled my order today due to Bait and Switch of the silver Tempest wheels for butt ugly ones. They showed up as silver the day I bought online and stayed silver for months til today when they are butt ugly black wheels.

A good car maker/dealer would have a demo model on hand to try out. Tesla is neither imho.
Tesla has test drive cars after they release like everyone else. Thank you for your opinions. Silver plastic hubcaps, yeah, everyone thinks those are beautiful......

• Funny
Reactions: EVMeister
I fully agree that the 21's look better, and the 19's look horrible (at least with the hub caps on). And while $4500 isn't horrible for forged rims and tires, if I'm spending $4500 for rims and tires, they are going to be exactly what I want, not "the only option" granted by Tesla. So I got the 19's, will buy nice aftermarket wheels that look much nicer than the Arachnids for around $4500, and will still have the 19' to sell and get some of that money back.
I did not realize the 21" wheels would be forged. Where does it say the wheels are forged? Or is it just an assumption since the previous arachnids were forged? Assuming they are forged that is a decent value with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (21" Tesla spec PS4S are about $1600).

A few other reasons I want to go aftermarket:
-I don't want summer tires as they are unnecessary for traction and reduce efficiency. Rather go with all seasons.
-Regarding cost, I think one would be able to find a decent rotary forged wheel+tire for under $4500. I was able to get 22" rotary forged wheels for my Model X for about $3k with tires. -Different/better look vs. stock.
Unless the aftermarket wheels have aero caps, the stock 19" will be hard to beat. Aero and tires are mostly what dictates efficiency.
The new Arachnid 21" wheels are cast... only the original Arachnid wheelset was forged.
There is a significant difference in weight and performance... Forged = left, and Cast = right.

1623896940534.jpeg
1623896958806.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: FutureShock
I like the 19s. I live in an area rich in potholes. The 21s do look nice but I don’t think the 19s look bad really. If your roads are topnotch and you only plan to drive on topnotch roads, then the 21s may be an option. As for me the 19s are the right wheels. The additional range is also a perk although not enough to realistically make any difference. None of us drive the car down to 0 miles range.

I wonder why the 21s get less range. The rolling resistance must be greater. It just seems the 21s should roll more easily so should result in more range but that just isn’t the case. Anyone know exactly why the range is lower on the 21s?

I like the 19s. I live in an area rich in potholes. The 21s do look nice but I don’t think the 19s look bad really. If your roads are topnotch and you only plan to drive on topnotch roads, then the 21s may be an option. As for me the 19s are the right wheels. The additional range is also a perk although not enough to realistically make any difference. None of us drive the car down to 0 miles range.

I wonder why the 21s get less range. The rolling resistance must be greater. It just seems the 21s should roll more easily so should result in more range but that just isn’t the case. Anyone know exactly why the range is lower on the 21s?
I believe it's because the tires are wider. This creates a larger frontal area (kneel down and look at your car tires from the front of the car) and higher rolling resistance.

I’m not sure simple width is the answer. Here’s a discussion Rolling resistance - Wikipedia
My original sentence was a little ambiguous.
My belief was that the majority of the difference comes from wider tires, which create more frontal area.
I think the second factor is from higher rolling resistance, but the key factor there isn't width. It's more likely tread aggressiveness.

That all said, a quick Google and it looks like most of the efficiency difference comes from the 21" wheels weighing more than the 19". Rotating mass drives the inefficiency. This is actually good news, though. It's not hard to find lightweight, forged, 20" wheels that weigh less than the oem 19s

Reactions: FlatSix911
That’s a thought. Suppose a car is going straight at a constant 60 MPH. Then it seems the wheels would be spinning at a constant rate and the weight of each wheel wouldn’t matter.