Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21” arachnid or 19” base

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You really think the ~1/8” sidewall height difference between the front 265-35 and the rear 295-30 will make any difference? I’ll be considering whether a 305-30 will fit back there when it’s time to change.
Since I already had pot hole issues with the 265-35 rear tires on my P100D, I’m really not interested in a 295-30. Ideally I want 265-40-20 front and 295-35-20 rear.
IMO a 305-30-21 will fit but I’d probably stay with the 295s otherwise the wider tire size might throw things off slightly. .

Have had both (21" & 19"). In the summer and on good roads run with the 21" tires. In the winter, (fall, winter and spring) I run the 19" tires.

* The 19" tires are more comfortable
* Better snow (mountain-and-snowflake rated) rating
* No crazy rotation with the 19" tires
* Cheaper with the 19" tires
* Any curb rash on the 21" dark rims will show.
* Road noise was nearly identical
* 21" wears a whole lot faster, especially in the rear and inside

Ordered a new Model S and just going with the 19" as I can get the same rims (after market or take-offs) for the same price if not less if I wanted to.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I’m definitely in the camp that would either go with the 19s, take the aero caps off, and powdercoat them grey; or buy some nice 20s aftermarket.

It kinda sucks that Tesla doesn’t offer a 20” option, as that seems to be the ‘sweet spot’ for the MS. Some competing makes (like Porsche) have no end of wheel options.

I went with the 19" option on my Plaid+ order (although I think there's a fairly non-zero chance that it will come with a performance wheel/tire package as part of the deal) because A) I already have another set of wheels I'll be putting on for summer and B) I need winter wheels anyway.

Reactions: FutureShock
I have 21” arachnid and will never go back. It looks and performs MUCH better than my previous 19' wheel. And to my surprise, I don't see any significant range decrease after I upgraded.
Arachnids are generally lighter than the 19-inch wheels. If their widths were identical to the 19s you should see an efficiency boost, but the wheels are physically wider and have a larger contact patch so any efficiency gains from the lighter wheels are lost to friction and aero.

Is it not a common thing (or possible) to paint/plasti dip/powder coat the stock wheel covers? I don’t want to sacrifice the range or ride comfort on my refresh, but I hate the look of the silver portions on the new stock covers.

I've finally gotten around to changing my order back to the 19"s (and red!). Will hopefully be able to find a matching fitment of these once we have confirmed the details on the new wheels. The V-FF 103 Wheel Flow Forged Wheels & Custom Rims | Vorsteiner Wheels Might involve me taking the car to shop and having them measure up and have Vortsteiner make something specific for the new S if they don't have anything suitable. They said that's going to be a few months of waiting :( Will update this thread as I get more info, if folks are intersted.

The decision also depends on what you drive in winter. If you have just one set of wheels... maybe one can / should / might get the 21s. They look great, but that's about it - there are both better and cheaper options on the market.

If you have to drive 2 sets of wheels, as I do (winter tires, and I don't want to change tires, we change complete wheel sets here)... it's a no-brainer NOT to get the 21 option (or whatever Tesla model's big wheel option is). This was the case back in 2015 when I bought my car, and is still true 2021. Here's why:

Option A - buy the 21s from Tesla
- pay 4'800 extra (with taxes, here, 4'500 in USA without tax) to get the 21s.
- you won't get the 19s, as Tesla of course removes these in exchange for the 21s.
- pay another 2'000 (roughly) for a winter set of 19s. Can be cheaper (aftermarket), can be more pricey (Tesla, depending on tire).
-> End up with a car standing on a 21 summer set (Tesla), and a 19 winter set (maybe Tesla) in the garage, having spent around 6500 - 7000 incl. taxes, from base configuration.

Option B - buy 19s from Tesla
- pay 0 extra for the wheels.
- you will get the 19s, as Tesla delivers your car standing on these...
- sell the summer (all season) tires, let's be pessimistic: - 600
- buy winter tires, let's be pessimistic: + 1200 (double the price of the just sold summer tires)
-> End up with a car standing on a 19 winter set (Tesla), having paid around 600 over base configuration for the winter tires. Less, if you are lucke with selling and winter tire choice
-> End up with about 6'000 - 6'500 in your pocket, compared to option A. For this money, you can buy whatever summer set you want.

Of course, this won't be the same if you don't need a winter set.

I'm getting antsy waiting for any official indication from Elon as to potential delivery dates for the LR Model S I ordered on 1/13. So..... today I test drove a 2017 100D (Red with white interior) at a local used car dealership. Nice car, but it seemed that there was a lot of rumbling noise over every undulation in the road. Pretty much a deal breaker, so the dealer said they would look for the cause and get back to me. On the way home I realized the car had 21" wheels and thought that could be the source of the noise. Any thought?
I question just why anybody would order a S model without first seeing if the Yolk wheel is acceptable. Everything about the 2020 version with Mercedes style stalks is so intuitive while a clunky yolk is not. Just my opinion,

I question just why anybody would order a S model without first seeing if the Yolk wheel is acceptable. Everything about the 2020 version with Mercedes style stalks is so intuitive while a clunky yolk is not. Just my opinion,
How did you form the opinion that the yoke is non intuitive and clunky? Did you role play it in a VR simulator?

Reactions: VikH
Yeah, I didn't actually think you did a simulator, that was my point. You, like the rest of us have zero experience with a yoke. So how did you form your opinion that the yoke is non intuitive and clunky if you haven't actually touched a real or virtual one?

Reactions: Hayseed_MS