Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21” arachnid or 19” base

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It took me a while to make my decision but I ordered with the 19s. I had 21” Arachnids on my P100D and really liked them but pot holes were an issue. The refresh Arachnid tires are wider 295-30-21 compared to mine which had 265-35-21. Since I was having issues before, the refresh with 295-30s will be worse. If the refresh came with 295-35 instead of 295-30, I would have definitely chosen the 21s. I’ll probably get the TSportline in 20”. I’m hopeful TSportline will come out with wider wheels to fit the refresh.
Would the 295-35 fit under the strut tower? I ordered a long range with the Arachnids. We have winter in Maryland and thus, I will have to replace those tires before the first flakes fall. I was looking at the Continental DSW6 with 295-35s (specs here). I have had previous generations of those tires and have absolutely loved them. I am worried about the fit. Other cars typically have room for a plus 1 fit under the tower but Tesla's are typically very tight.

My wife has a LR midnight silver on order and I have pointed out almost daily that the 21 inch rims look so much better than the stock rims especially in that color. We are in our 50s so it seems comfort and practicality have prevailed in her mind so the order remains with 19" even as low profile tires have saved us in the past.

In our 30s we had a young child so safety was paramount although we did not want to completely throw in the towel. Result was a fire engine red Volvo 850R with low profile tires. She went though two or three tire replacements due to speed bumps and pot holes even in sunny San Diego. One day she driving with our son in a car seat in the back and was cut off at an intersection and she stood on the brakes. She blew three tires but never impacted the car that ran the red light. The other car drove off but she didn't really care because those tires saved her and our son from severe injury (at least in our minds.) Don't really know if regular tires would have stopped her in time but don't really think so.

After a few more tire replacements, she eventually sold the Volvo R rims and bought smaller rims and regular tires. Years later, she is going for 19. I guess she feels she drives more conservatively now, she wants the comfort and mileage, and is putting the $4500 toward vinyl wrap. We still tell the story though of when the tires saved her life so there is that...
She blew three tires? Must have been before ABS and must have been very scary indeed! Glad she and your son were okay!

Reactions: josephan
For those wondering. Here is what the dark tempest 19” wheels look like without the cover.

Attachments

• 448BEEE6-8631-4B91-A776-A7EE558C33CA.jpeg
    448BEEE6-8631-4B91-A776-A7EE558C33CA.jpeg
    615.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 0D320822-CD02-4EBD-B6C8-B8427C0E9C68.jpeg
    0D320822-CD02-4EBD-B6C8-B8427C0E9C68.jpeg
    599.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 4BBEB1C6-E66E-448D-9792-8467C41D3D56.jpeg
    4BBEB1C6-E66E-448D-9792-8467C41D3D56.jpeg
    708.8 KB · Views: 134
Would the 295-35 fit under the strut tower? I ordered a long range with the Arachnids. We have winter in Maryland and thus, I will have to replace those tires before the first flakes fall. I was looking at the Continental DSW6 with 295-35s (specs here). I have had previous generations of those tires and have absolutely loved them. I am worried about the fit. Other cars typically have room for a plus 1 fit under the tower but Tesla's are typically very tight.
I honestly don’t know. If they’d fit, Tesla would have probably gone with the 295-35 so I’m guessing they went with 295-30s for a reason. I’ll get wheels for a rear 295-35-20.

Well done! The lobster fork design is not too bad... Tesla wheel center caps and lug nut covers would help. ;)

View attachment 690914
Remarkably hideous. I’m going to be looking to replace these ASAP. I ordered with the 19s as I just couldn’t order the 21s for that price. So Cal roads are just shy of driving on the surface of the moon and they’ve ruined 4 wheels from my old S.

She blew three tires? Must have been before ABS and must have been very scary indeed! Glad she and your son were okay!
FYI We ended up changing to 21 inch in order to get a July delivery and pleased that ride comfort is not an issue probably thanks to the air suspension. Saving our pennies for pothole/speedbump replacements and hopeful they last more than a couple of years!

Reactions: FlatSix911
Here's some good news while we wait for the 19" wheels to arrive... a new record at my home track. ;)

electrek.co

"Their return on the popular California proving grounds was successful as they managed to break the EV lap record with a 1:28.2 time: The time is within a second of the fastest production car lap record also held by Pobst but in a McLaren Senna. It’s possible that the Model S Plaid could beat that, but this version is significantly modified by UP with their race-specific suspension and several body modifications, like the large spoiler and front lip.

Over the last year, Tesla itself used Laguana Seca as a proving ground for early Model S Plaid prototypes At the time, they broke some records with a 1:30 Now Tesla has been spotted with a new Model S Plaid in Germany near the famous Nürburgring racetrack. In 2019, Tesla started testing Model S Plaid prototypes at the track and achieved some impressive lap times. The automaker had vowed to come back with production units and break some more records."

• Love
Reactions: Drew-MS
Here's some good news while we wait for the 19" wheels to arrive... a new record at my home track. ;)

electrek.co

"Their return on the popular California proving grounds was successful as they managed to break the EV lap record with a 1:28.2 time: The time is within a second of the fastest production car lap record also held by Pobst but in a McLaren Senna. It’s possible that the Model S Plaid could beat that, but this version is significantly modified by UP with their race-specific suspension and several body modifications, like the large spoiler and front lip.

Over the last year, Tesla itself used Laguana Seca as a proving ground for early Model S Plaid prototypes At the time, they broke some records with a 1:30 Now Tesla has been spotted with a new Model S Plaid in Germany near the famous Nürburgring racetrack. In 2019, Tesla started testing Model S Plaid prototypes at the track and achieved some impressive lap times. The automaker had vowed to come back with production units and break some more records."

Wow that’s a crazy impressive time. It’s still a heavy 4 door sedan regardless if it had some mods.

If I only need summer tires and only care about performance, get the 21s? Or get the 19s and wait for the 20" track package wheels? Presumably, they are going to be more than $4500, although I might recoup some cost selling the 19s.

I haven't had any problems with potholes (knock on wood) with 21s on my previous P90DL and 20s on my Model 3 performance... I'm also unlikely to go to the track that often. I've only been able to get out there once so far in my Model 3.

It looks like the 21s are wider than the 19s, but the 20 track package wheels might be widest yet, for the best grip. 19s might be lighter, but I haven't seen anyone setting records in the 19s yet.

Also, it looks like almost all aftermarket wheels are more than $4500, so it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal if you only need one set of wheels.

If I only need summer tires and only care about performance, get the 21s? Or get the 19s and wait for the 20" track package wheels? Presumably, they are going to be more than $4500, although I might recoup some cost selling the 19s.
I haven't had any problems with potholes (knock on wood) with 21s on my previous P90DL and 20s on my Model 3 performance... I'm also unlikely to go to the track that often. I've only been able to get out there once so far in my Model 3.
It looks like the 21s are wider than the 19s, but the 20 track package wheels might be widest yet, for the best grip. 19s might be lighter, but I haven't seen anyone setting records in the 19s yet. Also, it looks like almost all aftermarket wheels are more than $4500, so it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal if you only need one set of wheels.

Based on the Track Package 20" wheel specs, I would just order the base 19" wheels (at no upcharge) and wait until the new Zero-G track wheels are available... they look great and should perform well! ;)

"A look at Tesla’s current Parts Catalog for the Model S shows that the company has listed two new wheels, which suggest that a dedicated “Track Package” may be coming for the flagship high-performance sedan. Specifically, these new parts appear to be Zero-G wheels with 285 front/305 wide rear tires. Such wheels have been spotted in a Model S Plaid prototype at Laguna Seca, as per images shared by EV group The Kilowatts.

Electric vehicle enthusiasts would remember that Tesla’s Zero-G wheels have been released as part of a dedicated Track Package in the past. Last March, Tesla released a new Track Package for the Model 3 Performance, and one of its key upgrades was its racing-focused wheels and tires comprised of Zero-G Performance wheels and 245/35ZR20 XL Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. With this in mind, there seems to be a good chance that the Model S Plaid’s apparent Track Package may be paired with Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires as well."

1629684188571.png

Based on the Track Package 20" wheel specs, I would just order the base 19" wheels (at no upcharge) and wait until the new Zero-G track wheels are available... they look great and should perform well! ;)
That makes sense. Although, I am concerned that the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires aren't really street tires, given you have to watch out for standing water. I'd feel a bit wasteful running them on the street, considering I'm only likely to make it to the track at best once a year.

It would seem to make more sense to have PILOT SPORT 4S on those 20" wheels. Lower mass than the 21" wheels, wider tires for better grip, some sidewall for impact resistance...