Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21” Black Arachnid Wheel fit on new Model S LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I Just order a LR model S with 19"" wheel. I am planning to put my 21''Arachnid wheel set and tires that I received from referral couple years on the new car. However, I just notice on Tesla store that particular wheel set is shown to be compatible with 2012-2020 model S. Wondering if it is gonna fit the 2021 model, I haven't seen the new model S with the old 21'' Arachnid online yet.

Last edited:
Here is the response I got from a service manager.

“The original arachnid wheels would not fit the newer Model S for 2021+.

They are only meant to be installed on the original 2012-2020 Model S vehicles.

We would not be able to advise on using any spacers or anything to modify the way the wheels fit. The newer set up is wider than the previous years
.”

Reactions: SpaceAlienX
Upvote 0

Original Arachnids
Size + Offset21x8.5" +40 (FRONT)
21x9.0" +40 (REAR)
Bolt Pattern5x120
Center Bore64.1mm

The new Arachnids that come on the refresh as the $4500 option:

21x9.5 +40(Front)
21x10.5 +45(Rear)

I believe that its still Same bolt pattern and same center bore. But I havent seen anything to 100% confirm. But assuming both are the same:

Yes your old arachnids will fit the refresh. Wheels and tires will not be as wide as the new Arachnids. And the rears will sit inward 5mm more. (That is easily solvable with a good/quality 5mm hubcentric spacer).

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Upvote 0

Original Arachnids
Size + Offset21x8.5" +40 (FRONT)
21x9.0" +40 (REAR)
Bolt Pattern5x120
Center Bore64.1mm

The new Arachnids that come on the refresh as the $4500 option:

21x9.5 +40(Front)
21x10.5 +45(Rear)

I believe that its still Same bolt pattern and same center bore. But I havent seen anything to 100% confirm. But assuming both are the same:

Yes your old arachnids will fit the refresh. Wheels and tires will not be as wide as the new Arachnids. And the rears will sit inward 5mm more. (That is easily solvable with a good/quality 5mm hubcentric spacer).

Thanks. Sounds like it should be ok. 5mm offset difference shouldn't be really noticeable if I don't want to deal with the spacer.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Upvote 0
Thanks. Sounds like it should be ok. 5mm offset difference shouldn't be really noticeable if I don't want to deal with the spacer.
Concur--I don't know if 5mm is even visible to the naked eye.

Plus, I suspect spacers are sort of a pain.

All the above said, has anyone actually mounted these and done some full lock turns to ensure there's still plenty of clearance?

I'd hate to be the first . . . .

Upvote 0
Im not a wheel expert, but here's some comparisons I was able to calculate.

The wheels will probably fit but they will look anemic.
Green is the refresh wheel, Orange is the original forged arachnid for the older cars.
Rear:

Rear.png

Front
Front.png

Both front and rear wheel will be in the fender ~12mm.

I would suggest more importantly, you will have possible traction issues. With the stock tires, the car can easily skate at 50-80mph in nice dry socal asphalt.

I had a set of the Grey Arachnids on my 85D way back in the day, but I sold them on a deal I could not pass up. Loved them, so I feel your urge to keep them.
Personally I took delivery with the 19" wheels and promptly swapped them out for a lighter forged aftermarket wheel. I even went so far as to get them square, so I can do tire rotations. Nothing rubs, no issues over 7000 miles. Car ran 9.20's in Las Vegas drag strip, so no performance hit.
Mine are 20x10 TSW's 35mm offset, 275/35/20 MPS4 tires.

IMG_4666.jpeg

Reactions: jacksterCali
Upvote 0
I took delivery of LR 2 weeks ago, swapped the stock 19'' for the old Arachnid Wheel right away. Agree its a bit thin especially from the back, but works for me so far. I also have 20 mm spacers sitting around, planning to test them this weekend.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 273
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 278
Upvote 0
I took delivery of LR 2 weeks ago, swapped the stock 19'' for the old Arachnid Wheel right away. Agree its a bit thin especially from the back, but works for me so far. I also have 20 mm spacers sitting around, planning to test them this weekend.
Just confirming: you had no rubbing or other issues mounting the old Arachnids on your next gen Model S? (Both with and without the spacers?)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Just confirming: you had no rubbing or other issues mounting the old Arachnids on your next gen Model S? (Both with and without the spacers?)

Thanks!
No rubbing with or without spacers. One thing to note tho is the old Arachnids (at least the one I have) comes with the old TPMS, new car needs Bluetooth TPMS. I asked a tire shop to swap for me, I believe they needed to order directly from Tesla.
can You post more images in the wild, profile, three-quarter etc.
We die to see the best looking rim on the PLAID.

Stuff like this here, from another thread, where a pioneer mounted the Twin Turbine via spacers on his PLAID:View attachment 750858
here are more pictures with 20 mm spacer all around.

Attachments

• B7829179-B23B-43CF-87CA-BE4A6C7B8B3B.jpeg
    B7829179-B23B-43CF-87CA-BE4A6C7B8B3B.jpeg
    780 KB · Views: 296
  • BCAA6A8B-409B-45B8-9556-3D07CDA39966.jpeg
    BCAA6A8B-409B-45B8-9556-3D07CDA39966.jpeg
    609.9 KB · Views: 274
  • 7A052FFA-1C90-4662-9AB4-FD88BFE4ED3A.jpeg
    7A052FFA-1C90-4662-9AB4-FD88BFE4ED3A.jpeg
    872 KB · Views: 273
Upvote 0
No rubbing with or without spacers. One thing to note tho is the old Arachnids (at least the one I have) comes with the old TPMS, new car needs Bluetooth TPMS. I asked a tire shop to swap for me, I believe they needed to order directly from Tesla.

Lookin good! I had those wheels on my former P100D and loved them!

Upvote 0

Really useful info; changes my calculus on this a bit.

Do you recall what four of the new-style TPMS sensors cost?

Upvote 0