Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21” Model S Turbines on a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Tesla friends! I have a question that I can’t seem to find answers for anywhere. I am obtaining a 90d MX from a family member as my first Tesla. Super pumped! But I want to improve the look with different wheels than the 20” stock ones.
I’m worried about the range loss with the 22” since I will be driving quite a bit and often do longer trips of 250 miles or more. I was thinking that the 21” Turbine wheels from a Model S would be perfect. Larger size, sportier look, narrower resistance pad, and lighter weight than the 22”. The range loss would be minimal if any at all, or at least that’s what i have in my head. I don’t know why it seems that nobody has done this and feel there must be a reason. Can anyone help me here? Thank you!!

Same question
I don’t have any experience on that, but this video might help, plus bump you up so maybe someone who has tried this will see it.
Hey Tesla friends! I have a question that I can’t seem to find answers for anywhere. I am obtaining a 90d MX from a family member as my first Tesla. Super pumped! But I want to improve the look with different wheels than the 20” stock ones.
I’m worried about the range loss with the 22” since I will be driving quite a bit and often do longer trips of 250 miles or more. I was thinking that the 21” Turbine wheels from a Model S would be perfect. Larger size, sportier look, narrower resistance pad, and lighter weight than the 22”. The range loss would be minimal if any at all, or at least that’s what i have in my head. I don’t know why it seems that nobody has done this and feel there must be a reason. Can anyone help me here? Thank you!!
Looks like they physically fit from the video above but op is more interested in the daily driving part of it

Depending on where you look, the Model X is anywhere from 500 to 700 pounds heavier.

I have no idea what the math does in relation to vehicle safety. But I would be very careful in using a rim that was NOT marked specifically for the weight of the vehicle in the event of an accident.

Would hate to see a situation where someone was refused coverage for whatever.

JMHT's

Reactions: VikH
Thanks for the help! I think you’re right, the availability of tires with a higher sidewall may have been the holdback for others. I’m starting to think I’ll just get the 22” wheels and swap to the 20” for long trips which don’t happen all that often.