Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21” Sonic Carbon to 19” Silver Slipstreams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
Purchased a used 2018 Model S a while back with 21” staggered sonic carbon twin turbines. I really love the color and look of the wheels. Recently I decided to go with 19” wheels to get a little better efficiency. I was able to get some 19” silver slipstreams (don’t actually have them in hand yet though), but had a couple of questions.

1) I love the sonic carbon color. It sounds like several people have been able to go the powder coating route. I believe the closest people have come to matching the sonic carbon is the prismatic powders color called Evo Gray (PMB-5969) with a clear coat? Can others speak to the match? Prismatic powders also has a color called Ultra Charcoal (PMB-5531). Has anyone gone with that color?

2) Will the 21” Sonic Carbon colored wheel caps fit properly on the 19” slipstreams?

Thanks all.

I don't really have any insight on any of those colors.

I did have my stock 19's powder coated to match the color of the car when I first got it. I don't remember the name of the color though. I really wanted 21's, and still do. I just don't want to deal with the rough ride, drop in efficiency, blowing out a tire or bending a rim on these horrible roads in the Northeast. So powder coating was the next best thing.

20190121_124449.jpg

20190121_124439.jpg

20190121_125930.jpg

I did have my stock 19's powder coated to match the color of the car when I first got it. I don't remember the name of the color though. I really wanted 21's, and still do. I just don't want to deal with the rough ride, drop in efficiency, blowing out a tire or bending a rim on these horrible roads in the Northeast. So powder coating was the next best thing.

View attachment 755619

View attachment 755620

View attachment 755621

Color looks great! If you happen to have the old receipt with the color code on it that would be very helpful. I love the look of the 21”s, but been driving a ton and would love to get a little efficiency boost. Hopefully I won’t regret it!

View attachment 755619

View attachment 755620

View attachment 755621
Beautiful car i always love the Red calipers too bad they dont offer them in Red on the Plaid any more :(

No experience with the color issue but I can 100% vindicate your decision. A pothole took out two of my 21" tires (thanks, Baltimore), so I switched to 19s. Combined with Michelin Energy tires I saw a 16% improvement in efficiency, and the ride is significantly improved.

I do miss the look of the 21" Turbines though!

Hi All,
Purchased a used 2018 Model S a while back with 21” staggered sonic carbon twin turbines. I really love the color and look of the wheels. Recently I decided to go with 19” wheels to get a little better efficiency. I was able to get some 19” silver slipstreams (don’t actually have them in hand yet though), but had a couple of questions.

1) I love the sonic carbon color. It sounds like several people have been able to go the powder coating route. I believe the closest people have come to matching the sonic carbon is the prismatic powders color called Evo Gray (PMB-5969) with a clear coat? Can others speak to the match? Prismatic powders also has a color called Ultra Charcoal (PMB-5531). Has anyone gone with that color?

2) Will the 21” Sonic Carbon colored wheel caps fit properly on the 19” slipstreams?

Thanks all.

I used Evo Grey, came out great

Reactions: solardudesf
Finally received my 19” silver slipstreams. Tesla did not change the label in the door jamb. They also forgot to update the configuration in the settings and the car thought I was still driving on the 21”s (easy to fix if you notice). Anyone know what the proper psi is for the 19”s? Thanks.