Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21” Uberturbine wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Tesla Y performance. Every day. In fact, every day is better than the last. BUT the wheels. All four rims got road rash the first two months I had the car. I paid $660, got the refinished. The next say - boom! One has curb rash. And I got a flat for driving over a penny. Not literally but you get my point. What are my options? This is a lease and I don’t wanna spend a lot of money, but I figure getting some different rims and tires now will save me money over the next 2 1/2 years. Can I put regular OEM tesla Y rims on the performance? I don’t know. Any ideas?

I love my Tesla Y performance. Every day. In fact, every day is better than the last. BUT the wheels. All four rims got road rash the first two months I had the car. I paid $660, got the refinished. The next say - boom! One has curb rash. And I got a flat for driving over a penny. Not literally but you get my point. What are my options? This is a lease and I don’t wanna spend a lot of money, but I figure getting some different rims and tires now will save me money over the next 2 1/2 years. Can I put regular OEM tesla Y rims on the performance? I don’t know. Any ideas?
The best financial move would be to learn to park/drive without running into things.

You absolutely can put regular MY 19 inch rims on MYP. And pick in settings new set up. You can also pick aftermarket rims say from Tsportline. There are plenty other options.
You can also get rim guards to start.

Waiting for my MYP but I had a Mustang GT with the same exact issues. Its very easy to cause this road rash even when pulling into a parking lot if you do not pull way out to the center. Just a little short and you have curb rash. Just one of the drawbacks of such low profile tires. I will be looking for some sort of guards even though I have learned to be careful it is still very easy to do and it only takes one time. Any suggestions on wheel guards out there that look okay? Just don't want big ugly guards as it kind of defeats the purpose of good looking wheels.

What about the curb feelers they used to have on what my dad euphemistically called "pimp mobiles"? Just kidding but it might work.

You'd probably save a fortune on by swapping out the wheels and tires while leasing for some 19's. Keep the ubers set aside. Put them back on when the lease is up. Sell the 19's to someone looking at wheels for snow tires if no tread left or the complete set if decent.

What you are describing is one of the reasons I passed on the MYP. My wife would have found every curb near our house and on the way to work. From the first week I drove the demo MYP to a week later, and only about 200 miles, the amount of curb rash already was staggering. That was enough to warn me off from them.

I have also seen a few tire/wheel shops that "rent" rims. Can't speak to the pricing but might be worth looking into.

Not making excuses but rather trying to figure out why this happens to some and not others: only thing I can come up with (aside from the obvious) is that the Y is wider (by 2 inches or so) than vehicles a would-be buyer [might] be coming from. It also, generally speaking, has a longer wheelbase than the competition translating to a slightly larger turning radius…. Could one/both of these measurements be contributors to this wheel scraping “phenomenon”? Not sure—and, again, I‘m definitely not making excuses (my wheels are 100% perfect)—clearly, the best response is to simply be more careful (aka aware of one’s surroundings)—still, is there guidance that members of this forum can offer to our peers?

I agree, i checked the dimensions and the model Y is about the same width of my previous car, which was a MINIVAN. It certainly feels that way in the garage fitment. The wheelbase is almost the same too. Put those together, along with rims wider than the tires, and its a wheel repairers’ payday.

I think a lot of people mistake the appx. size of a HR-V, CH-R, RAV-4, CR-V, etc… but its a lot wider than those!

I think almost every overly attentive Tesla driver may have encountered this problem. An option could be found on Amazon. After I pay to get mine repaired this will be my next DIY project. Good luck!

Attachments

• D96B0EB9-6C9E-4055-B077-330BFB4DF44E.png
    D96B0EB9-6C9E-4055-B077-330BFB4DF44E.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 423
You can easily touch up the scrapes - light sanding with fine paper and there is a spray paint that supposedly matches it perfect. Anyone know what the paint is ? I need it also. The rims stick out past the tire which makes them easy to rash. I love the look of the 21s. Whole pt of the performance is to look aggressive. Going to a 19 would leave a huge, ugly fender gap. It’s already got too much fender gap / needs to be lowered even with 21s.. if you don’t care about looks then there’s always Prius / Leaf 😂

I’ll figure out the paint code but if someone knows it post it here. It’s a quick fix most of us who drive the cars urban will have to address. Ignore the unhelpful dbag comments from those who don’t know how to fix it. This is a relevant question for all performance owners

I considered those rim savers but it may look a bit too juvenile for my tastes .. maybe in black or other dark color .. they look difficult to install straight and there’s a gap where the ends meet. Not sure how clean that would look.

edit - here the repair

Last edited:
I love the look of the 21s. Whole pt of the performance is to look aggressive. Going to a 19 would leave a huge, ugly fender gap. It’s already got too much fender gap / needs to be lowered even with 21s..

How is there a fender gap in a 19” wheel but not in a 21”? Aren’t all three sizes (19” 20” and 21”) of wheels overall diameters the same size?

Yeah and I think you can get smaller wheels with bigger sidewalls to keep similar rolling diameter. It doesn’t look as good imo but fender gap should be same

added benefit you can shave 10-15 lbs of rotating mass per wheel, then gain range and performance by dropping down on wheel size and going to lighter rims Couple grand to do that but maybe the tires for 19 or 20s are a little less expensive ..