Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21” Uberturbines with All weather or new winter tires and wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MYP on order EDD within the next month or 2. I live on Whidbey Island, Wa but have only lived here 1.5 hrs and been through one winter. We have pretty moderate temperatures year round but last winter we did get one large snow fall, but it was gone within a couple days due to temperate. I have never had a car that came with Performance summer tires. Is it worth buying a whole new set of wheels and “winter/snow” tires or should I just put the Michelin Pilot AS4? The Michelins would be $1600 or $2600 for a new set of wheels and winter tires. I think I would be fine with the all seasons which would be easier than having to store and switch out the wheels in winter

There are multiple threads on this subject. Summer performance tires should not be used at cold temperatures. As the temperature falls the rubber compound gets hard and traction is greatly reduced. 10C(50F) is considered the temperature when the traction starts to be compromised, certainly by 40F(4.4C) you should not be driving using summer performance tires for best traction. At lower temperatures the tires can be damaged if driven as the rubber can crack.

I understand that the summer tires aren’t to be used below that but that is why I am asking if All seasons are good enough for the moderate snow or are winter/snow tires required. I grew up driving in ice and snow in Kansas without dedicated snow tires and only using all seasons

I understand that the summer tires aren’t to be used below that but that is why I am asking if All seasons are good enough for the moderate snow or are winter/snow tires required. I grew up driving in ice and snow in Kansas without dedicated snow tires and only using all seasons
Correct my assumption but if you will be driving in the Cascades then you would probably want winter tires, i.e. tires with the three peaks and the snow flake (rated for severe snow service.)

Correct my assumption but if you will be driving in the Cascades then you would probably want winter tires, i.e. tires with the three peaks and the snow flake (rated for severe snow service.)
I won’t be driving in Cascades in winter in MYP, as I will be taking out other vehicle if we do that. Basically just wondering if the All-seasons on MYP are adequate for snow in non mountain areas. However I have found this area shuts down with any snow d/t no sand or plow trucks. I however work at the hospital so I need to get to work.

I won’t be driving in Cascades in winter in MYP, as I will be taking out other vehicle if we do that. Basically just wondering if the All-seasons on MYP are adequate for snow in non mountain areas. However I have found this area shuts down with any snow d/t no sand or plow trucks. I however work at the hospital so I need to get to work.
The better all-season tires would be OK but not as capable as a winter tire when it comes to the things that matter when driving in snow i.e. traction, stopping, steering and control. The Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 would be one possibility. If you decide to buy a second set of wheels there would be more choices in 19" and 20" size tires. The 19" wheels would provide for more tire sidewall and might survive an encounter with a deep pot hole better than either the 20" or 21" wheel and tire.

I really like the look of the TSportline wheels in 19” that look similar to the Uberturbines but they are back ordered till Feb. I am not expecting delivery of my MYP until first of Jan(hoping the new EV credits pass.) timing sucks bc I really don’t want to buy a new set of tires for the 21”s for 1 month till the other wheel and tires come in

Just putting an update here in case someone search’s. I ended up placing an order on Tire Rack for the Michelin Pilot AS4 265/35/21 and 275/35/21. When I ordered it said the 265 were in stock but 275 were back ordered. I just got a call from Tire Rack saying the 275s are showing “not in production.” The salesman did say Michelin is releasing the Pilot AS4 with acoustic tech in the OEM 255-275 stagger on Dec 21. So hopefully they will actually come out then and I can get them delivered before my car is delivered first of the year. They are actually slightly cheaper as well

e
Just putting an update here in case someone search’s. I ended up placing an order on Tire Rack for the Michelin Pilot AS4 265/35/21 and 275/35/21. When I ordered it said the 265 were in stock but 275 were back ordered. I just got a call from Tire Rack saying the 275s are showing “not in production.” The salesman did say Michelin is releasing the Pilot AS4 with acoustic tech in the OEM 255-275 stagger on Dec 21. So hopefully they will actually come out then and I can get them delivered before my car is delivered first of the year. They are actually slightly cheaper as well
lol they’ve been saying Michelin will be shipping the OEM tires for the past 2 years!

Well they aren’t producing the 275 per tire rack so maybe that means they are switching over to the new tire?
I wouldn’t wait for tiresracks estimated delivery for the oem sizes. I ordered it back in Oct with an delivery of mid Nov but it got too cold here so had to cancel and order 265/275 from Discount Tire Direct.

The dates kept moving around and with supply chain issues I wouldn’t count on them producing those tires this year! It was supposed to ship beginning of last year and never did.

I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons in factory OEM sizes 255/35/21 and 275/35/21. I only found one place in the country that has them in stock - www.rimsoutlet.com. They were running a free shipping promo, so I bought another 4 tires. From FL to PA in 4 days via FedEx for $1,459. Just had them mounted, see pics. They are noticeably quieter and ride less bumpy than the summer tires. Hope this helps.
82354D5D-267C-4AE6-8175-F41C49F3D209.jpeg
71F28FF4-630D-4507-B042-797A0F5812B9.jpeg

Reactions: MikeBur