Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21-22 model S wheels on an older model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They will not fit as they're too wide, unless you put a 265 tire on the rear and a 245 up front but I am unsure if the rims will allow that. Depending on offsets the widest you can on the front for a non-refresh S is 245 and on the rear 285.

Reactions: rickyjb
In theory they should look good, no matter the other thread. They should give the impression of medium spacers which is per se not a bad thing. Too bad there are no good images of brave pioneers which tried this yet.
Its not about looking good or not, the front and rear tires are simply too wide. The fronts would be most problematic the rear may be able to squeeze a 295 rear tire with minimal rubbing. Either way I am just going based off my knowledge and experience, the definite answer would be if someone were to physically put the refresh wheels on a non refrehs model

1. the rear 2021 19" fit on 2020, but rubber produces beyond the fender about 1/4" and would likely strike the fender flare if the suspension bottoms out
  2. the rear 2021 21" do not fit on 2020. The diameter of rim + rubber is the same, but the lack of bevel at the edge of the rubber doesn't make space for the fender
  3. the front 2021 19" kind of fit the 2020. No issues on high suspension setting, but on low suspension setting they rub the fender at extreme input angles. Ok for daily as long as you're not going lock-to-lock.

• Helpful
Reactions: kerred and pabla
Now I want to buy a set and start playing with things… Lol. I was after that pioneer that wanted to try. I agree to them not fit in with the factory rubber on there but if you went back to a 245/45/19 Tire on all four corners or maybe even a 265 on the back was my thoughts, I believe the Wheels have a little more offset on them, which I think would look pretty damn cool

Now I want to buy a set and start playing with things… Lol. I was after that pioneer that wanted to try. I agree to them not fit in with the factory rubber on there but if you went back to a 245/45/19 Tire on all four corners or maybe even a 265 on the back was my thoughts, I believe the Wheels have a little more offset on them, which I think would look pretty damn cool
You could get a very similar look with the pre refresh wheels and a set of spacers!

Pioneer here. I've got two sets (don't ask) of the 19" factory wheels/tires from the new 2021 refreshed Model S, one with summer tires and one with all-season. One set is currently on my newest 2017 P100D and I can confirm that the fronts will indeed rub slightly at full lock. 255 with these offset is just too wired for the older wheel wells. Rears appear to be fine w/o any rubbing or anything that I've experienced. I'm currently in the process of sourcing the previous 19's to swap these out with some nice all-season tires of the standard 245/45R19 flavor.

Reactions: rickyjb
Pioneer here. I've got two sets (don't ask) of the 19" factory wheels/tires from the new 2021 refreshed Model S, one with summer tires and one with all-season. One set is currently on my newest 2017 P100D and I can confirm that the fronts will indeed rub slightly at full lock. 255 with these offset is just too wired for the older wheel wells. Rears appear to be fine w/o any rubbing or anything that I've experienced. I'm currently in the process of sourcing the previous 19's to swap these out with some nice all-season tires of the standard 245/45R19 flavor.
Completely ignore what I said here. I (finally) got my new wheels/tires for this car and, upon installation, we discovered that the previous owner used multiple improper and mismatched spacers under these wheels. It was a mess. The tire shop employees asked me if I drove the car there from where I bought it (thinking it was a local dealer) and when I told them I drove the car in it's current state from Phoenix AZ through the mountains they were all in disbelief. Not to mention that the previous owner swapped over the wheels/tires from his new Plaid to my older car & didn't bother to trade out the TPMS from one to the other. In short, what a mess. I'm glad I have it resolved and that nothing catastrophic happened before I got proper equipment on the car.

tldr; don't put these wheels/tires on older cars as my guess is they will rub much worse when turning and the insides will likely rub the strut towers too. Just guessing at that but there's a reason why someone stacked a bunch of mismatched spacers under these wheels and it wasn't for a look since he knew he was selling it. My guess is that w/o them they won't work at all.

I wanted to update this thread since the next "Pioneer" blazing this trail may be let down.

20211207_085333.jpg