Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" BC Forged HC010 on 2016 P90DL - a photographic journey (thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've had these new wheels on my Model S for a few months now - just never got around to posting some photos & information. That all changes now! First, the details:
  • BC Forged HC010
  • Brushed clear finish (inner and lips), hidden hardware
  • Front: 21x9" ET30 w/ Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 245/35/21
  • Rear: 21x10.5" ET35 w/ Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 285/30/21
  • Acer Racing titanium lug nuts
I ordered the wheels from Akio at PK Auto Design and he was great: very responsive to my questions, got me concavity profiles w/ my requested sizes/offsets from BC Forged in Taiwan, etc. Highly recommended!

I was planning on 22" wheels but due to the quality of the roads I encounter regularly and other reasons I stuck with 21" and I'm pleased with the decision. Though I still do love the look of 22" wheels on the Model S. Maybe someday...

At any rate, onto the photos!

01 in box.jpg

02 reveal.jpg

03 rear in box.jpg

04 front in box.jpg

05 front in box side.jpg

06 lineup side.jpg

07 lineup profile.jpg

Despite being a modular design, the wheels are actually quite light compared to stock. According to my shipping scale, the front wheels weigh 27.9 lbs. and the rears weigh 29.3 lbs. (stock staggered 21" wheels weigh 29.8 lbs front, 38 lbs rear according to Unplugged Performance's Tesla wheel & tire guide)
08 front weight.jpg

09 rear weight.jpg

Here's what the rear/pocketing of the wheels looks like, for anyone that wants to know (for compatibility with different wheel spacer options, etc.):
10 rear pocketing.jpg

Part 2!

Getting the tires mounted & balanced at home by Zip Tire, a mobile tire service in the Los Angeles area.
11 mounting tires.jpg

Tires mounted:
12 tires mounted.jpg

Here are the Acer Racing titanium lug nuts:
01 nut_bottom.jpg

02 nut_top.jpg

So yeah, spending a few hundred bucks on titanium lug nuts might be a little silly... but they look cool AND they're way lighter than the stock lug nuts. Here's five of the stock lug nuts (one wheel's worth) on the scale:
03 stock_nuts_weight.jpg

Just shy of one pound.

Here's five of the Acer Racing titanium lug nuts on the same scale:
04 titanium_nuts_weight.jpg

Less than half the weight! Another half pound of weight savings at each corner oh yeah!

• Love
Reactions: All In and SilverGS
Here's a few more pics - these were taken right after I put them on the (dirty) car.

01 front low side.jpg

02 rear fitment close.jpg

03 rear side low.jpg

04 front wheel closeup.jpg

05 front fitment above.jpg

By the way, there's absolutely no rubbing at all (and I mostly drive at the "standard" setting) - which is sort of expected because I didn't get very aggressive with the front offset and the rear inner fenders are rolled nicely.

Thanks for checking out the thread! I hope this is helpful for anyone considering BC Forged wheels, etc. IMHO they're a pretty great value!

Brian

Looks great. On a totally separate note: Is Cali the ONLY state that requires multiple large annoying stickers for (im guessing) HOV lanes?

Haha thanks @2101Guy . I don't know if CA is the only state that requires the stickers, but with the HOV lane access they provide, it can be a pretty huge time savings...

That being said, since I'm working from home right now as so many of us are, and thus not commuting daily as I was previously, they're not super helpful. Here's hoping I'll get some more use out of the HOV lane stickers before they expire in 2022!

Brian

Reactions: 2101Guy
Haha thanks @2101Guy . I don't know if CA is the only state that requires the stickers, but with the HOV lane access they provide, it can be a pretty huge time savings...

That being said, since I'm working from home right now as so many of us are, and thus not commuting daily as I was previously, they're not super helpful. Here's hoping I'll get some more use out of the HOV lane stickers before they expire in 2022!

Brian

how much were the wheels?

@2101Guy the wheels ended up being right around $1K each. Quite reasonable for custom wheels... I actually priced out some HRE wheels while I was still deciding and they're something like $2700 EACH. Yowza.

WOWZERS. $2700? Yeah, thats gonna be a "no dawg". LOL.

But looked at your wheels again. REALLY look good. And yes, a good price for custom fitement forged. For some odd reason, I'm averse to non OEM wheels on a Tesla. (This coming from a guy who had aftermarket wheels on every other car he's owned). And Im not sure why. I went with a set of new Arachnids that someone was selling. Paid $2200 for the set of 4 brand new with the Pilots. But I will say, I love the styling and fitment and overall look of yours. If I didnt go arachnids, I definitely would move most likely copied your setup exactly.

Do you park it on the street overnight? I'd be nervous re: wheel theft.

WOWZERS. $2700? Yeah, thats gonna be a "no dawg". LOL.

But looked at your wheels again. REALLY look good. And yes, a good price for custom fitement forged. For some odd reason, I'm averse to non OEM wheels on a Tesla. (This coming from a guy who had aftermarket wheels on every other car he's owned). And Im not sure why. I went with a set of new Arachnids that someone was selling. Paid $2200 for the set of 4 brand new with the Pilots. But I will say, I love the styling and fitment and overall look of yours. If I didnt go arachnids, I definitely would move most likely copied your setup exactly.

Do you park it on the street overnight? I'd be nervous re: wheel theft.

Haha thanks @2101Guy . I'll definitely let you know if I end up wanting to sell the wheels/tires at some point - probably due to also selling the car due to not being used if we never get out of this f$*king pandemic... Ugh.

I almost feel the same as you re: aftermarket wheels on a Tesla. I think the original 21" turbine wheels look sooooo good that it's pretty tough to improve on them, so I don't like most aftermarket wheels on the Model S either.

I do really like my wheels, though. :) If I were to do it over again, I might actually go with one of the monoblock designs, such as the EH173 - looks nearly the same, but slightly lighter and easier to clean (the multi-piece wheels with the floating spoke ends are a bit of a PITA to clean - takes an eternity).

I park it in my driveway overnight, but have wheel locks on there for some protection (and security cameras) so I'm not super worried about theft/attempts. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood too.

Brian

Reactions: 2101Guy