Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 inch factory wheels make the S much less efficient

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about the 21" wheels making the car faster (might have more to do with the actual TIRES than the wheels). Summer Performance Tires will performer better than generic all season tires, for example. Would love to see a performance comparison between the 21" and 19" wheels with the SAME TIRES.

However, for sure you will lose range with the 21" wheels along with a host of other drawbacks such as more prone to wheel damage. The best upgrade I made to my car is replacing the 21" wheels with 19" wheels with quality performance tires.

I did an accurate comparison when I swapped my 19" winters to 21" summers and saw an 11% drop in efficiency (same route before & after swap).

In fairness, take into account that the bigger issue is going from a sticky (high friction) summer tire to a hard winter compound. The decrease in wheel weight 5-6 lbs, would incrementally see a increase in tire weight, so ensure you account for all variables.

If that's the case, why don't they just include those instead of the turbines? I'm a little annoyed for having to pay $4500 for inferior wheels

Don’t buy them. Go online amazon or the parts section of this forum and you’ll find a lot of them for sale. They were given out as referral prizes and now only part of the P100D package. Well worth it vs the heavy Oem turbines.

Don’t buy them. Go online amazon or the parts section of this forum and you’ll find a lot of them for sale. They were given out as referral prizes and now only part of the P100D package. Well worth it vs the heavy Oem turbines.

They're not available on new P100D's either other than some random ones in inventory. Only can be purchased from Tesla's shop after sale.

The arachnid 21” forged rim/tires are actually lighter then the oem stock 19’s. I have them on my 100d for summer and my power consumption has been almost the same as the 19” stock.

Okay then, I wish they would make a 19" version of those forged wheels for even better range :p

It's a bit disappointing how they always sell these large wheels like they are some sort of an upgrade and new wheel styles are always for the 21" wheels. Where we live, the roads are so horrible, that 19" wheels are the only option but there are many other benefits that come with 19" wheels.

Okay then, I wish they would make a 19" version of those forged wheels for even better range :p

It's a bit disappointing how they always sell these large wheels like they are some sort of an upgrade and new wheel styles are always for the 21" wheels. Where we live, the roads are so horrible, that 19" wheels are the only option but there are many other benefits that come with 19" wheels.

They used to have a somewhat nicer looking 19” back in the 2012-2016 pre- facelift era lol. Not sure if it was lighter...perhaps it was..

Attachments

• 3DB2EBAA-20BC-4FC4-9BE4-B2C3271810CF.jpeg
    3DB2EBAA-20BC-4FC4-9BE4-B2C3271810CF.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 142