Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 inch from wheels making popping noise when turned to extreme?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed when I have my 21 inches front wheels (Hre 21x9.5 et +28) on the car and I make extreme turns in either direction, there is a plastic scraping noise on occasion. Almost as if the tire is scraping something in the wheel well. Anyone else notice it oem arachnid 21 inch wheels? Seems fine with 19s on…

And what is making that awful sound at the end of the video? When I turn the wheels with the 19s it doesn’t make that noise!

View my video at Test - Oak

Last edited:
I have noticed when I have my 21 inches front wheels (Hre 21x9.5 et +28) on the car and I make extreme turns in either direction, there is a plastic scraping noise on occasion. Almost as if the tire is scraping something in the wheel well. Anyone else notice it oem arachnid 21 inch wheels? Seems fine with 19s on…

And what is making that awful sound at the end of the video? When I turn the wheels with the 19s it doesn’t make that noise!

Sound at the end is fine. Just suspension having settled coming down the driveway. For the rubbing, not had that issue with oem wheels.

Any noise such as rubbing or a clunk when steering wheel is at full lock, you will be told by Tesla it’s normal with 21s. No clue why Tesla would design a stock suspension that would rub or cause a clunking noise when steering is at full lock.
F8040DB9-42DF-4E60-9AC5-0868611B8955.jpeg

FWIW I've never heard that sound you hear in your video at 0:05. I'd maybe get it checked if it... rubs you the wrong way.

That awful creaking sound at 0:27 though, I've heard on mine. I went into service about it, they checked it out and reported it's normal, and it's from when the vehicle auto-hold brakes rub when you move the wheel while standing still, and I think that makes sense to me. The noise is not reproducible if you put the car in park and move the wheels left-right - only when you've stopped and the auto-hold is on.

Reactions: Jack Oak

Any chance you can put this video back online. I just picked up a MSP and when backing up and low speeds when turning it sounds horrific. I have the 21" Arachnid wheels and it sounds like the the suspension is about to snap in half lol. Normally i would be terribly worried but the other MSP I drove was the exact same way. I thought initially it was only when full lock but it seems when going at slow speeds and turning the wheel kinda dramatically it always happens

Any chance you can put this video back online. I just picked up a MSP and when backing up and low speeds when turning it sounds horrific. I have the 21" Arachnid wheels and it sounds like the the suspension is about to snap in half lol. Normally i would be terribly worried but the other MSP I drove was the exact same way. I thought initially it was only when full lock but it seems when going at slow speeds and turning the wheel kinda dramatically it always happens
Here is the link

Here is the link

Those HRE's are hella nice, I have a set on my 458 Italia. To be honest from inside my cabin it sounds terrible, and almost feels like its skipping. I'm thinking it might be because the suspension is in very high position coming out of my driveway, it's like a Thud Thud Thud and you can actually feel like banging. I have to put the suspension in very high as the driveway which isn't that bad but the front splitter will kiss if in medium, maybe I should try just high. Tomorrow I'm gonna make a video and see if i can capture it. I can tell you when i had my wife in the car she looked at me like WTF is going on, is this normal on a 150k car. I mean I think most of us just shrug our shoulders and go "It's a Tesla thing" but realistically I've only had the car for like 2 weeks and I've been saying an awful lots its just a Tesla thing LOL. Our other daily driver is a S580 with 10 degree rear steering so a car thats even larger can literally turn circles around this tesla and I've gotten so accustomed to the rear steering its really weird having to make a 3 point turn, and then the clicking/banging really freaks me out.

I'm getting a similar sound/sensation as Fazooley - a loud thump or single popping sound when backing out of a parking space while turning the wheel. I initially thought I might have clipped something with the wheel exiting a parking space, but this is consistent when making a very low speed turn whether out of my garage or a parking space. This is with the 21" Arachnids on a '22 MSP and with the ride height set at medium or low, but definitely not at its highest setting. Scares the crap out of me when it happens because it doesn't sound/feel like anything good can come from this.

Reactions: Jack Oak
Welcome to the club. In case you hadn’t figured it out already, when you take it to Tesla service you will be told by Tesla SC that this is normal with 21s. No matter how loudly you complain or how high up the chain you go they will not give 2 sugars about it since they already have your money.

I'm getting a similar sound/sensation as Fazooley - a loud thump or single popping sound when backing out of a parking space while turning the wheel. I initially thought I might have clipped something with the wheel exiting a parking space, but this is consistent when making a very low speed turn whether out of my garage or a parking space. This is with the 21" Arachnids on a '22 MSP and with the ride height set at medium or low, but definitely not at its highest setting. Scares the crap out of me when it happens because it doesn't sound/feel like anything good can come from this.
Normally BKYLN I would be terribly worried, however, this is the 3rd MSP I've driven and all 3 have done the exact same thing. It's very jarring when it happens, it sounds like the control arms are gonna snap right off. Does anyone know exactly what is the cause of this and if theres any aftermarket change to remedy it? How on earth when they were QA'ing this car did they think this was acceptable? BTW, I'm right over the VZ lol

Welcome to the club. In case you hadn’t figured it out already, when you take it to Tesla service you will be told by Tesla SC that this is normal with 21s. No matter how loudly you complain or how high up the chain you go they will not give 2 sugars about it since they already have your money.
That's disappointing. I am in the process of deciding on a set of 20" wheels for a square setup that will allow me to rotate tires. My initial thought was that the width of the tires are the problem, in which case I would probably still experience this with 20x10s up front. If it is specific to 21" wheels that makes it even more puzzling. At the end of the day, most cars require the overall circumference of the wheel/tire to be the same no matter what size wheel you're running. Go up in size on the wheel, come down in profile on the tire. End of the day though, the rolling circumference should be about the same to minimize discrepancies with your speedo. What possible explanation could they have as to why 21's would specifically have this issue? Not apples-to-apples, but my wife's eTron has 21" wheels and she's not having this issue, nor have I seen this complaint on the Audi forms from RS6 and RS7 owners running the factory 22s.

That's disappointing. I am in the process of deciding on a set of 20" wheels for a square setup that will allow me to rotate tires. My initial thought was that the width of the tires are the problem, in which case I would probably still experience this with 20x10s up front. If it is specific to 21" wheels that makes it even more puzzling. At the end of the day, most cars require the overall circumference of the wheel/tire to be the same no matter what size wheel you're running. Go up in size on the wheel, come down in profile on the tire. End of the day though, the rolling circumference should be about the same to minimize discrepancies with your speedo. What possible explanation could they have as to why 21's would specifically have this issue? Not apples-to-apples, but my wife's eTron has 21" wheels and she's not having this issue, nor have I seen this complaint on the Audi forms from RS6 and RS7 owners running the factory 22s.
It seems to be a Tesla thing but its really jarring for passengers. Myself I just ignore it or now I drive extra slow, problem for me is I live on a corner so i got to be quick as people turn onto my block like a raceway and I'm always afraid of getting smashed. My car is going into the SC on the 21st to fix a bunch of things, the one in BK. Hopefully not too many blue haired weirdos working on my cars and I can get some straight answers but I highly doubt it. From everything I read there famous for saying its fixed and then its not. I have come to the realization today as well every time I have my car washed it kills my entire camera system so theres that also LOL. #TeslaLife

This is normal with many cars with larger width front tires. My Vipers did the same thing as well as one of the Vette's. It basically boils down to the inside vs the outside of the tire not rotating at the same rate (due to the width of the tire). This causes the slower turning side (inside) to "skip". Completely normal. It is a bit jarring, but probably the 5th+ car I've had do this from different manufacturers.

Reactions: Propofoln
Appreciate the sanity check. Don’t think I’ve owned a car with tires wider than 9” before which might be why this is news to me. Assume then that I’ll also experience this with 20x10” wheels and not just the 21s.

This is normal with many cars with larger width front tires. My Vipers did the same thing as well as one of the Vette's. It basically boils down to the inside vs the outside of the tire not rotating at the same rate (due to the width of the tire). This causes the slower turning side (inside) to "skip". Completely normal. It is a bit jarring, but probably the 5th+ car I've had do this from different manufacturers.

do you think that really
Is the cause. In my video it shows the wheel not skipping or hoping going at slow speeds… maybe having something to do with the control arms ?

Agreed, Big tires, full lock, and cold temps (esp on summer tires) will cause this to happen. I happens on my 2015 911, my 2022 Model S LR, and it used to happen on my 2007 Audi S6. Scary at first until you realize what it is!

Chet
Honestly im so happy this is normal, I mean I kinda figured it was since all 3 MSP I drove all did it. But it just sounds so damn bad, sounds like the suspension is gonna snap lol

My 2020 BMW M5 definitely did this. Normal.