Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 inch tires and replacement after 12-15,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the hankook ventus on our 911 and cayenne the past few tire changes and will not use another tire again. Fantastic tire. Cheap, but great performance. And at least double the miles on a 911 than the Porsche "n"rated tires.

Absolutely agree. Same with me on my last 911, and I also put them on the 20" Jaguar XK wheels to replace the *horrible* Pirellis that came on the car when new. Not only were they half the price of the Michelin Pilot Sports I almost got instead, but the Hankooks improved the handling of the Jaguar and were much quieter. I was shocked. They will be going on the Tesla when it's time for replacement.

If it makes somebody feel better, the low rolling resistance Bridgestone Ecopia tires on the Nissan LEAF don't last either. I wore out the first set in 25,000 miles and replaced them with Michelin MXM4 tires. Huge improvement in noise, handling stability and braking with great warranty for a small drop in range. The MXV4 tires might be better for range over the MXM4s.

Absolutely agree. Same with me on my last 911, and I also put them on the 20" Jaguar XK wheels to replace the *horrible* Pirellis that came on the car when new. Not only were they half the price of the Michelin Pilot Sports I almost got instead, but the Hankooks improved the handling of the Jaguar and were much quieter. I was shocked. They will be going on the Tesla when it's time for replacement.

Wow. How can they sell them so cheaply then if they are a better tire than the Contis and Pilot Sports? I know price doesn't always equal quality. I'll definitely look into them.

Wow. How can they sell them so cheaply then if they are a better tire than the Contis and Pilot Sports? I know price doesn't always equal quality. I'll definitely look into them.

I've always read that hankook doesn't spend the advertising dollars like the michelins, good years, etc... Therefore they can sell the tires a bit cheaper. I think it was consumers reports and one of the car magazines that rated hankooks highest in one of their tests a few years ago.
We even used our cayenne in a couple of autocross's with the local PCA and wear was still fantastic. Grip was great for the autocross.

I really can not wait to speak with someone in the know on suspension at Tesla. There is a huge disparity in rear tire wear that can not simply be explained by right foot usage alone (judging by comments on life time Wh/m).

I know other cars have as much or more torque than the P85 but does the instant torque have anything to do with it (harder on tires)? Roadster owners seemed to get a few thousand miles less on same tires as lotus Elise drivers but the Roadster had 900lbs over the rear wheels b

I really can not wait to speak with someone in the know on suspension at Tesla. There is a huge disparity in rear tire wear that can not simply be explained by right foot usage alone (judging by comments on life time Wh/m).

You'd be surprised by the difference of someone constantly briskly accelerating and tire wear.

I suspect it's entirely driver dependent. Heck, most are admitting that they are driving hard and many if us have used the Pilot Sports on our other performance cars and can attest that 10-12k miles is pretty normal and can be as low as 7 or 8k.

You'd be surprised by the difference of someone constantly briskly accelerating and tire wear.

I suspect it's entirely driver dependent. Heck, most are admitting that they are driving hard and many if us have used the Pilot Sports on our other performance cars and can attest that 10-12k miles is pretty normal and can be as low as 7 or 8k.

I think you're right. That and the Tesla's weight. Not too many of us have ever had a car this heavy.

I assumed the accelerated rear tire wear was due to regenerative braking. Almost all of my braking is done with regen, so that would wear the rears quicker I'd think.

This makes sense. This is how I drive, trying to use mostly regen. So it's not 4 wheel braking.

Had my 21 Conti's rotated today. Exactly 90 days of ownership, and 5200 miles.

Backs had 4/32, while fronts had 7/32.
Wear bar is at 2/32.
Tires start with 10/32.

Considering I don't have a performance, and I really don't drive it that hard very often, except for the occasional demo ride... sure seems like they're wearing pretty fast. 60 mile round trip commute, with mostly highway, half with Portland traffic, half against.

This makes sense. This is how I drive, trying to use mostly regen. So it's not 4 wheel braking.

Had my 21 Conti's rotated today. Exactly 90 days of ownership, and 5200 miles.

Backs had 4/32, while fronts had 7/32.
Wear bar is at 2/32.
Tires start with 10/32.

Considering I don't have a performance, and I really don't drive it that hard very often, except for the occasional demo ride... sure seems like they're wearing pretty fast. 60 mile round trip commute, with mostly highway, half with Portland traffic, half against.

Ouch! I really wish Tesla would figure out this wear issue sooner rather than later.

They're sticky performance tires. What's to figure out?

There's a lot to figure out. They need to WARN prospective buyers that purchasing 21" tires means you will need to replace every 5000. I have owned these tires 'performance 21' tires' in the past on 911's and never an issue at 5K miles. 10K okay, 5K with normal driving not normal--period. Nothing to figure out except why this only happens on Tesla.

Last edited: