Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 inch turbine wheel crack survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
three years and about 25,000 miles. Two cracked rims (21" turbines). One was due to a pot hole. The other was a mystery - dropped the car off at a third-party body shop (someone backed into me). My MS came back with a cracked rim that wasn't there when I dropped it off.

In any event, I'm hoping the 21" arachnids on my next model S are more durable.

Crack 21" turbine P85 freeway only 24k miles 45psi all around, no potholes, just did a search and found this thread, so there's something going on?
Replaced tire not even thinking that it would be possible.... Some engineering/manufacturing problem?
Anyway, glad its not just me... This car has been giving me quite a bit of grief :(

Who can fix these? Prefer not to buy aftermarkets and spend a ton of money on this car, it's just a daily driver.

How do we bring more attention to this and get some sort of resolution from Elon...I really can't justify spending $1500 every time I drive on an irregular surface.
The most common recommendation that I have seen (and ignored) is to avoid driving on the 21" wheels. The 19" ones have far fewer problems. But the 21" inch rims are just too sexy. :cool:

Reactions: Lu Ann
Yes, I refuse to accept the fact that a company makes a rim that obviously has flaws and we are the ones who have to pay for the situation...they have done other recalls; tires/rims are the first point of contact to safety - this is more than just an esthetic problem, or inconvenience; it could be people's lives.

Attachments

• 20180604_155217.jpg
    20180604_155217.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 225
Damn it! You guys are scaring me. I have 21" turbines shipping right now (to replace my 19" base wheels).

Was thinking of selling my 19" but something is telling me to keep them as back up.
keep them for sure...I am going to get this cracked one fixed (hopefully) as a spare tire, but I don't like the safety aspect of driving around with my family on a welded rim, which is why I went straight to Tesla and ordered a new one.