Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 inch turbine wheel crack survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 P100D was ordered with 21's. The salesperson at Tesla warned me about the 21's being easy to damage and suggested that I downgrade to 19's. I did, and saved the $3500...
don't you think this is a problem, that you have to order rims as to not have a problem...let's be honest, the 21's look amazing, so why sacrifice that because you know the product is flawed?! Tesla should be doing something to remedy this situation.

Damn it! You guys are scaring me. I have 21" turbines shipping right now (to replace my 19" base wheels).

Was thinking of selling my 19" but something is telling me to keep them as back up.

Keep them. I’ve cracked 2 wheels on my P100D and probably many more are going to be cracked in years to come (if I keep them). I’m probably going to snatch the 19s off my wife’s 85D and throw them on my P100D. And give her the 21s. Since her car gets driven way less then mine does.....My P100 may look weird with the “older” 19s but who cares?!?!?:p

don't you think this is a problem, that you have to order rims as to not have a problem...let's be honest, the 21's look amazing, so why sacrifice that because you know the product is flawed?! Tesla should be doing something to remedy this situation.
I feel your pain, but what's beautiful isn't always practical. It know it's a salty salve, but you're always free to buy aftermarket rims if you feel those are superior.

Factory rims should be superior, which is my point...i don't want to pay for aftermarket rims on a vehicle that was designed for these 21' turbines made by Tesla.
I empathize with how you feel. That's why I went with the forged arachnids on my new MS. Live and learn. Let go of the rest - Elon ain't gonna give you a refund. (Though I would gladly take a "not a flamer thrower," if he has an extra one of those lying around....)

I’ve had my tesla model S less then a year and just finished a road trip driving 2500 miles. When I came home I notice my tire wasn’t holding air, I took it down to a tire center and they noticed My a rim was cracked. I don’t recall hitting potpoles what so ever. I’m in the process of ordering a new rim as we speak. I really don’t feel comfortable driving on a welded rim. Sucks that there isn’t a mobile team in my area.

Attachments

• A635EA28-97FB-4015-9348-D85261C37848.jpeg
    A635EA28-97FB-4015-9348-D85261C37848.jpeg
    397.9 KB · Views: 125
E63B0D8B-9D0C-4FFF-AEC6-F9416C027CBC.jpeg
02C25AB1-757C-4D32-96D3-09DF83DACEA3.jpeg
5C1B65FB-0439-4277-8893-E283C89EC041.jpeg
USA CPO P90D almost 50k mi. Only about 5k of them mine. Last week on smooth new asphalt at 65 mph felt like I hit a brick. Neither I nor my passenger saw anything in the roadway before or after. Tire deflated. On inspection found cracked rim. No tire damage. Traveled over 100 miles of fairly rough patchy asphalt secondary roads earlier in day. 35-55 mph. No memorable pothole impacts. Apparently structural failure. Seems as if the 21 inch turbine OEM is not quite robust enough for travel on rough secondary roads. May need to get aftermarket rims as Tesla declined my request to install the 20X9.0 OEM slipstream available for the MX. The only other Tesla option, the 19X8.5 is less than optimal for a performance configured MS. Disappointing. Pictures:

The only other Tesla option, the 19X8.5 is less than optimal for a performance configured MS. Disappointing. Pictures:

Remember the Ferrari F40? 17" wheels.

Unknown.jpeg

For fun I looked up one of the most radical no-holds performance oriented cars of all time:
Porsche 917: 1100 hp, 0-60 in 2.1 sec (this is back in 1969!) Wheel size? 15"

Unknown.jpeg

A 2010 Porsche turbo has 19" wheels.

01_2010911turboreview_opta.jpg

So what is wrong with 19" wheels?

Last edited:
Thanks DC - good point and just the sort of feedback I was looking for. Perhaps I should just go ahead and replace with the OEM19" slipstreams paired with performance all season radials. What is on your P85D? How are the secondary roads in BC?

We have our share of potholes for sure in mid-BC. Strange part of the world where it gets up to 40 degrees Celsius (104F) to -22 C in the winter (-8F). So for sure two sets of tires are needed; I always have 2 sets of wheels and I change them myself every 6 months. Odd thing is on my last trip to Vancouver I noticed how bad some of the roads were down there; all that tax money from all those 3 million dollar homes and they sure don't put much of it re-paving roads!

Before shopping for my Model S I read multiple threads on TMC regarding the 21" turbines and its inherent problems. As I said previously even if the 21" rims proved to be durable I don't like to play that game of buying $500 tires that wear out in 6 months of driving. Unless you are racing your Tesla....

I love the looks of the Arachnid's, but if I buy those in the future they will be my third set of wheels, and I will use them for maybe 4 months a year so the tires last long enough for me to justify it. They are a forged wheels so they should be more road worthy. Probably try a different longer wearing tire than the Michelin's but that has been posted on by others before.... maybe in a few years.... but is it worth $3000 to me?? ...thinking out loud..... who knows...

Upon delivery of my used P85D (non Tesla CPO) I asked if I could swap the turbines for some 19 slipstreams on a 2016 P90 vehicle they had; they obliged. I now have a set of cyclones that will be my summer set (Michelin MXM4 after the Goodyears wear out) and the slipstreams will be my winter set (Nokian WRG4) I do like the look of the cyclones more than the slipstreams but I am of the philosophy that when I am driving my car I don't see the wheels; so who cares. Function before form. Engineering before cosmetics. Part of my racing background where a saying was "run what you brung".

Check out this thread for some other info and my impressions of the Goodyears: plenty of them for sale:

Any advantage to upgrade to performance summer tires for 75D?

I did check out that other thread - as well as many more. I live in mid coast Atlantic US and make occasional forays north to the border but not much else .The OEM turbine 21 summer performance Michelin setup performs awesomely on good smooth roads in a temp range that can be expected for about 8 months of the year. The problem is that they are proving too delicate for real world conditions and could be down right dangerous at the cold end of the range - especially in snow. This suggests that a single set of rims with high performance all season would work best for me. I am disappointed that Tesla will not mount their OEM MX 20X9.0 turbines on the MS. It really seems like an ideal compromise, with perhaps the P7 Cinturato or Scorpion ASR. The OEM MS rims are +40 offset, but the MX OEM turbines are +35 as most aftermarket 20" options seem to be. (example Tsportsline TST), Granted, it is a 1" (25.4mm) wider rim than the 19X8.0; but shouldn't it be possible to pair properly sized tires to meet clearance specs, say a 245/40? Or am I missing something here? After all the OEM 21 turbines are 8.5" in front and 9.0 in the rear, paired with 245/35 and 265/35 Contis respectively. Definitely not racing; have never even enabled insane mode. However I did buy a Tesla PMS, so almost by definition am a fairly spirited driver. Definitely interested in maintaining the CPO warranty, so will probably end up getting a set of OEM 19" slipstreams installed with whatever performance ASR Tesla will mount. Live and learn...

Just because Tesla won't mount the 20" on the S doesn't mean it won't work... don't think different wheels will void any warranty??

and my cyclones are 19 x 8.0: 245 is the largest size that should be fitted on a 8 inch rim.

Speaking of Pirelli's I owned a set of the All Season Plus' on an Infiniti QX50 and they were awesome; I should have saved them as they were the exact same size 245/45/19: another option. Here is a review of them against the Michelin A/S 3+, another great all season; lots of choices in 19" size

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230

Yup, the Michelin AS3+ were on my radar. The only warranty issue re the MX OEM 20 turbine the TSC could identify was with the TPS. I looked at the settings control and there are options for only 19 and 21 inch. So that could be the reason. Saw some other reports that there could be tire minor rubbing at acute angle in reverse. But I experience that with the OEM 21s now. Thanks for the excellent Tirerack link. Looks like the Pirellis are the best fit. Advantage of the 45 v the 40 in your view?

Part (most?) of the reason there is so much force breaking the 21" turbines are the low profile of 35%; which is a sidewall height of 86mm. A 245/45 will have a sidewall height of 110 mm, or 22% more cushion. (Not a directly linear comparison due to the actual sidewall construction; probably ends up being more) So why reduce that by half and get 40 profile?

Also I would prefer another 12 mm of ground clearance; I have scraped the underside over some road to parking lot transitions before I could manually raise the suspension. I would only consider a 245/40 if they didn't make the 245/45