TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

21 inch wheel lug nut size?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Brick Pilot, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Brick Pilot

Brick Pilot Member

#1 Brick Pilot, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    EDIT: Yes, it is 21mm. ;) I removed the plastic cap on the lug nut to reveal the lug nut. I had no idea it was a cap!

Thanks for the help, guys.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

On my vehicle, both the 19" and the 21" wheels use 21mm lugnuts.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

You say it's not 21mm (which is the proper socket size), so does this mean you're looking for the widest point at the shoulder?

It might be simpler just to measure the width of the wheel's mounting hole and use it instead.

4. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#4 wycolo, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    I keep a 13/16 inch deep impact 6 point socket in the car on a ~24 inch breaker bar. This socket is *sliiightly* snugger than a 21mm which results in a bit less nicking into the lug surfaces, but it does tend to stick slightly too.

Edit: Nicks MORE with the 13/16. 21mm is much better and leaves no scars. Always use a 6 point impact which is easier to purchase than a 6 point non-impact. Never use an impact air tool !!
    --

5. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I would recommend caution when using an impact wrench on these lug nuts. Unless the factory has upgraded them since February, these lug nuts have a pressed-on chrome foil coating that will wear through, unlike conventional chrome plating. (I'm surprised Tesla used these on a vehicle of this quality.) Use a breaker bar instead, and a protective nylon-lined socket.

6. Brick Pilot

Brick Pilot Member

Agreed, that is why I am using a torque wrench. it is very different than an impact wrench.

I figured out my problem: The plastic lug caps. I didn't realize they were NOT the lug heads. I pried them off to reveal the shiny chrome lugs. My thin-walled socket worked fine.

Socket: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L23AIK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Wrench: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KL4H80/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

8. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

#8 vgrinshpun, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    Could you elaborate on how (what tools) you used to remove the plastic caps? I have 21" silver wheels which seem to have the caps. I've bought 19" Rial Lugano turbine wheels/Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 winter tire set that I plan to switch to for winter.
    Thanks.

9. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

If you have silver wheels, I doubt you have the caps. I've only seem them on new gray wheel deliveries. The caps are black plastic (I pulled them off with my fingers--no tools required).

10. dratifk

dratifk Sorry Sold my *****

Whats the size of the lug nuts for the 19" Rial Lugano Wheels?

11. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

The aftermarket rim supplier should provide you with appropriate (from his point of view!!) lug nuts. Often these will require an adapter extension which then fits your lug wrench.
    --