Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 inch wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The performance 3 apparently comes with 21 inch wheels. My Porsche Cayenne turbo has 20 inch and came with 19 inch originally. 21 inch for a car the size of the 3 seems like massive overkill. Am I missing something? Some claim that the 21 inchers have a greater blowout potential and greater rim damage potential. Any truth to that?

I love the large rims on Tesla's. They make the car!! Overkill or not they are beautiful on an S. If I had a 3 I would try to put the Model S 21" on it.

IMG_1133.jpg

Reactions: GOOCHY
I agree that while they do look very good, they are not practical!

Your ride will be less comfortable, as you have less sidewall to work with to help absorb imperfections in the road.

If you go over a pothole or even a curb, you risk a bent rim or even a crack due to not enough sidewall!

I like 20 inches max on the S or X, and 19" max on the 3!

Either the Tesla 20” wheels are weaker than other manufacturers or we’re just hearing more about the bad experiences. More people talking about 20’s? More media coverage bring attention to it?

I’ve driven on 20’s for 3 years and 3 winters in a snowy state with heavy cars, 2 different BMW M5’s (F10). I never blew a tire or bent a wheel until this last winter in my BMW 340i which had 19’s. Maybe it’s more about luck of the draw than anything. 20’s do increase car ownership costs substantially over time and bad luck will only amplify the total cost of ownership.

I’m in the camp that thinks the larger wheels look amazing so I plan to use 20’s year round.

Either the Tesla 20” wheels are weaker than other manufacturers or we’re just hearing more about the bad experiences. More people talking about 20’s? More media coverage bring attention to it?

I’ve driven on 20’s for 3 years and 3 winters in a snowy state with heavy cars, 2 different BMW M5’s (F10). I never blew a tire or bent a wheel until this last winter in my BMW 340i which had 19’s. Maybe it’s more about luck of the draw than anything. 20’s do increase car ownership costs substantially over time and bad luck will only amplify the total cost of ownership.

I’m in the camp that thinks the larger wheels look amazing so I plan to use 20’s year round.

I have heard more complaints about the 21s than the 20s. I wonder if the rims of the 21s are not of the best quality. One person in an internet youtube said he bent two rims in one pothole (or perhaps one set of potholes).