TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

21 inch Wheels

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by mdevp, May 20, 2016.

1. mdevp

mdevp Member

Is there a problem putting 21in wheels on a MX? Anyone going to try this setup? I'm sure this has been asked before, I searched but got nothing.

2. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Not that I can think of. Just make sure you get tires that match as close as possible to the proper circumference. Elon had 21's on his X for press reviews and the reveal back in September. Although I'm sure the SC can reset the speedometer and odometer to reflect whatever tire size.

I've been thinking of doing the same as a compromise between the Tesla offered 20" or 22" versions. Really starting to like the TSportline TS112's.

TS112 Forged Tesla Wheel - T Sportline

3. mdevp

mdevp Member

Have you thought about using the OEM 21s? Can you use 9in for the rear, I think they are 10in width OEM.

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Not really. They're pretty expensive from Tesla. I guess I could look for some used ones. I don't know that I want them in Gray either.

I wouldn't worry too much about the widths as long as the offsets are compatible. It might affect performance on the very high end of the handling spectrum but not in day to day driving.

Unless you can find a staggered width setup from a P85 when they had wider rears. Which is probably why that TSportline option I linked is available with a 9.5" rear option.

5. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

I think the bigger issues is going to find suitable tires. Most of the heavy weight handling tires are SUV/truck tires that are more common in 20 and 22" sizes.

• Helpful x 1
  6. mdevp

mdevp Member

I like the turbine look on the MX but the 20's are too small, the 22's look too stretched and going to have the road rash problems. You can get 9inch wide 21' turbines on ebay for pretty cheap, and the offset is 40 which is spec for the MX. Prly have to powder coat the 21's though.

7. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

the T Sportline look great but at that price i would highly consider HRE Wheels.