Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 kW Three Phase Tesla Model S Compatible Home Charging Stations Now Available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the TrioCharger looks like a good idea but am curious why it's AC for Tesla and DC for CHADEMO and CCS Combo.
I would have thought it could be lighter, simpler and cheaper if all 3 were were DC.
Perhaps Tesla does not publish charging protocols?
Given Tesla's stated goal to advance the uptake of EVs I would be surprised if they didn't.
If there is a long delay on the Tesla 3 phase wall connector I may be interested in the E-station.

I think the TrioCharger looks like a good idea but am curious why it's AC for Tesla and DC for CHADEMO and CCS Combo.
I would have thought it could be lighter, simpler and cheaper if all 3 were were DC.

so far after searching the web, you can only get a supercharger from tesla even then I doubt they sell them to the public the fastest you can charge a Tesla using your own gear is to buy a 50kw (or maybe 100kw) CHAdeMO unit and wait for the euro spec tesla supercharger to chademo converter.

Given Tesla's stated goal to advance the uptake of EVs I would be surprised if they didn't.
If there is a long delay on the Tesla 3 phase wall connector I may be interested in the E-station.
I really wouldn't rush that decision. Teslas is likely to be the same form factor as the wall charger. If you have 3 phase going into it now as i do, the changeover will be a 10 minute job!! I strongly believe that it will be out by end of Q1 and the mobile connector well before that.

A fast charger at home is a nice thing to have but the average person drives around 50km per day. Single phase 16 amps (which is what I have) is about 3.5 hours of charging while you are asleep.

It would be interesting to find out what daily kms everyone on this Australian forum would average.

I would be interested in what "consumption" people are getting. Theoretically it should be 5km per KwH. In practice i am well above that, and i am driving sensibly (promise). 250watthours per km or so. Even when i deliberately set out to drive for range as a test. On a plain S85. So with a P85+ i would expect that to be worse. You can't get performance and better fuel consumption at the same time. Makes no sense.

I would be interested in what "consumption" people are getting. Theoretically it should be 5km per KwH. In practice i am well above that, and i am driving sensibly (promise). 250watthours per km or so. Even when i deliberately set out to drive for range as a test. On a plain S85. So with a P85+ i would expect that to be worse. You can't get performance and better fuel consumption at the same time. Makes no sense.

EVs you notice the outside effect more than a ICE car.

Rain and wind reduce range.
incline
speed between 50-70 is the efficiency zone for other EVs
temperature shouldn't matter as you have a actively heated/ cooled battery pack.

Yeah that's weird, most of my driving averages 200 in my P85+. My lifetime average is <210 and that includes a day of drag racing.

Because the Tesla Model S has native type 2 AC charging. No adapter required. The cable plugs directly into the car.

I would be interested in what "consumption" people are getting. ... On a plain S85. So with a P85+ i would expect that to be worse. You can't get performance and better fuel consumption at the same time. Makes no sense.

While this is true in ICE world, it doesn't necessarily carry over to electric drive train.
The performance model is capable to deliver 1200 amps to the motor where the standard version only can do 900 amps. So I would figure it has more IGBTs and beefier cabling, results in less resistance. Same current would be transported at reduced losses, although the effect is small.

Eberhard is driving his P85+ with 200Wh/km at 120km/h but he has a quarter million km experience under his belt.