Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'21 MYP How To Turn Off Regen Braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I should be able to turn off the Regen, but for the life of me, I can't find it on the touchscreen??

*** I really do Not want to turn it off. I just think I should be able to do so. :)

I'm a little concerned about not being able to disable it next winter. There are usually at least a few times a year I have to drive is a decent snow or ice storm. I thought maybe slip start would be helpful but I'm seeing that's really only for a temporary you're stuck situation.

I'm a little concerned about not being able to disable it next winter. There are usually at least a few times a year I have to drive is a decent snow or ice storm. I thought maybe slip start would be helpful but I'm seeing that's really only for a temporary you're stuck situation.
In winter temperatures, if you don't fully precondition the Tesla, warm the battery pack the Tesla vehicle will have greatly reduced regenerative braking. Also, when the battery pack state of charge is over 85% Tesla limits the regenerative braking.

Reactions: GtiMart
Can anyone comment on actual experience with excessive regen on slippery roads? I haven't noticed any problems at all during this winter, and we had a substantial amount of snow up here in the Great White North. Mind you, I have conditioned myself to be more alert for the need to slow down, and avoid lifting off the accelerator too quickly...

Can anyone comment on actual experience with excessive regen on slippery roads? I haven't noticed any problems at all during this winter, and we had a substantial amount of snow up here in the Great White North. Mind you, I have conditioned myself to be more alert for the need to slow down, and avoid lifting off the accelerator too quickly...
There will be no problem with regen in winter. The regen is subject to traction and stability control systems, just like acceleration. If regen causes the wheels to block, it will reduce, just like abs would do when you brake. The wheels might lock for a fraction of a second and will adjust. If you were in a turn, stability control will make sure the car stays straight.
You would not jump on the brakes hard on snow and ice, so don't let go of the accelerator hard either as that's equivalent to hitting brakes.

There will be no problem with regen in winter. The regen is subject to traction and stability control systems, just like acceleration. If regen causes the wheels to block, it will reduce, just like abs would do when you brake. The wheels might lock for a fraction of a second and will adjust. If you were in a turn, stability control will make sure the car stays straight.
You would not jump on the brakes hard on snow and ice, so don't let go of the accelerator hard either as that's equivalent to hitting brakes.
Yes, that's been my experience. I read lots of posts suggesting bad consequences from the use of regen in winter, but I never had any problems whatsoever.

I have a 2020 M3 and have slipped a few times in the snow and ice. Normally I will turn the setting to low if it's snowing pretty heavily or if they haven't taken care of the roads yet. I like the regen and pretty much drive with one pedal but in the winter I think it would be a good idea to have the option.

Just got my Model3 P yep days ago. Absolutely love it, but I’d defo like to be able to reduce or remove the regeneration braking when not in track mode. In the first 70 miles or so of driving, I’ve barely had to use the brakes. That’s ok most of time, but it’s taking some of the fun out of twisty back roads for me.

Just got my Model3 P yep days ago. Absolutely love it, but I’d defo like to be able to reduce or remove the regeneration braking when not in track mode. In the first 70 miles or so of driving, I’ve barely had to use the brakes. That’s ok most of time, but it’s taking some of the fun out of twisty back roads for me.
Not currently possible since Tesla removed the Low Regen setting. Just wait until winter, you will get your wish as regen will be reduced due to battery temperature.