Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Pirelli PZ4 tires for Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many others, I am seeing premature inner edge wear on my rear tires at 5000 miles (will be lucky to make it to 8000).

Knowing the rear tires are often on backorder, thought I might order them now so they arrive by the time I need them....

Unless I am missing something, it looks like the Pirelli PZ4 tires are now available in our stock 21" sizes and include the acoustic foam....

I searched and found a references to using this line on other models or previous year S and / or in other sizes (19 / 20) but found no posts with the latest 21" versions on a refreshed S Plaid or LR...

Anyone have any thoughts? Good / bad? Wondering if they may have a more uniform wear than the Michelins?

1663626951325.png

1663626985587.png

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Load ranges are different too.
I noticed that, did not figure it was enough to be an issue. The HL is the next higher range, originally speced for the Lucid. Only thing I might worry about is how much extra weight they might add. The tread compound should be the same though so I would THINK they would handle the same front / back. But unsure.
I don’t see how different tires would eliminate the inner wear, given this is apparently a camber issue?
Different compounds and side wall flex. Those with the 19s are not having this issue....

And similarly, (but opposite) on my previous vehicle, the OEM tires could handle the factory camber settings fine, they wore relatively even, but I hated how loud they were so I tried other brands / models....

3 different sets tried, the first 2 wore very unevenly from the inside out, the 3rd was ALMOST as good as the OEM tires but eventually I had to get aftermarket arms and flatten out the factory camber a couple degrees.

I also have the n2itive camber arms on order and will get a couple degrees dialed out when they come in but my hypothesis is that this issue is a combination of camber and a rubber compound / manufacturing process that are just not playing well together and we may can improve the situation with a different tire.

Its just a hypothesis though of course, which is why I asked others if they had tried them.

Reactions: WilliamG
This is a 1.5 month old thread you bumped @Tdriver ;), but if @Daniel454 or anyone else is still considering the PZ4, I suggest skipping it.

My 2021 M3P came with PZ4 and I felt they were lackluster for a "max performance" category tire. Cornering grip was disappointing, and they squealed a lot in hard driving. At 1000 miles I switched to Bridgestone Potenza Sport in the same category (as part of switching to smaller diameter wheels) and they fixed all that - easily better grip dry and wet, and no more squealing. With the change I did go up 10mm in tire width, but also down 0.5" in wheel width. I ascribe most of the grip difference to the tire being better, not the minimal size change. (M3P stock is 235/35R20 stretched onto 20x9", I switched mine to 245/45R18 on 18x8.5".)

On the upside the foam-lined PZ4 were pretty quiet for a performance tire when driving normally / casually and not making them squeal. :) The Potenza Sport are a bit louder on the highway, not bad as performance tires go, but not the very quietest. The PZ4 certainly gripped better than a non-performance tire like the MXM4 that often comes on non-performance-model Teslas...they just weren't as high performing as I wanted or expected.

I might switch our S P85 to summers again after being on all-seasons for a while, but it won't be to the PZ4. I kept it on "max performance" tires for its first couple years, but I'm thinking that's really more tire than an ol' P85 needs, so I might go for something a bit more mellow. Maybe UHP or HP summers, or even UHP allseasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel454