Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'21 Plaid Model S | Creaking/Grinding Sound When Stopped + Brake Activated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi y'all. Long time lurker here, and now glad to finally be a part of this community.

I consider myself a lucky one out of the bunch, given that my Plaid (Oct 21 delivery) hasn't given me any major issues... until now, seemingly. This post will be detailed, and I hope it will either a) articulate an annoying issue that someone else may be also experiencing, or b) allow the brainpower here (from folks who are way smarter than me) to chime in and assist in diagnostics.
  • After the fine folks at EUDM Autosports (shoutout to Phil) put on Vossen HF3 (20x9.5 / 20x10.5) with Pilot Sport 4S tires (265-40-20/295-35-20) on the car, a few days later, I started hearing some awful creaking + high-pitch sounds coming from the front of the car whenever I would turn the yoke (full rotational turns) left or right. I first thought something may be rubbing against the suspension, given that these are bigger wheels with beefier tires, so I brought the car back to Phil and he inspected it thoroughly.

• He didn't find any issues with the installation of the wheels, and was able to isolate the occurrence of the sound issue. Turns out, the creaking/high pitch/grinding sound only happens when the car is a) not moving + b) the brake pedal is pressed (or the brake hold is activated) + c) the yoke is being turned left or right.

• I took it to the Smithtown, NY Service Center, and they inspected the car for a day. When I went to pick up the car, the techs notified me that they pulled the wheels off the car, and inspected the suspension + brakes. Their conclusion is that the brakes aren't faulty or degraded by any means (the car only has about 7,500 miles), and that this brake sound is a common, but normal, issue on Model S cars. I questioned them about this, but the techs did not seem to be concerned by this "issue" and assured me that this sound, while annoying, does not affect braking performance nor compromises safety.

• Attached a vimeo video from when I brought it back home after Phil inspected the car and isolated the issue. However, since getting the car back from Tesla, I'm convinced the sound is much more painful to hear, as it now has a grinding effect, on top of that high-pitched sound; both of which happens as the yoke is being turned left or right.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a coincidence that it began happening after the new wheels were put on? Is this truly a Model S "thing" that we're forced to just accept? Should I buy new brakes?

Any feedback/input is appreciated! Thanks everyone.

I can't comment on your issue, but I'd love to see pics of the "beefy" wheels and tires?

As many angles as possible please. Thx😁
haha, this is all i have unfortunately at the moment. Will get more angles eventually.
IMG_1902.JPG
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 3.00.26 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: SilverGS
I’m no mechanic but I think the noise is due to the brake “hold” being active. Try pushing the brake to release the “hold,” then turn the wheel and see if you still hear it. Car looks great!!!

I was going to suggest you borrow some 19’s from another owner and see if it changes or eliminates the sound. At least teaches you if it is or is it related to the wheels.

It was a well known problem on the original turbine 21s that they would moan and creak on a car while 19s were quiet. Thoroughly cleaning and lubricating the brake calipers helped. We theorized you were somehow generating a vibration at a natural mode of the wheel and it would “ring”.

Another trick is to park with the front wheels in some soapy water and see if it still makes noise. The reduced friction should reduce the load on the steering rack. If the sound went away, it points to new wheels are extra grippy and the rack isn’t liking it. Don’t know if that is a Tesla problem or not…

I was going to suggest you borrow some 19’s from another owner and see if it changes or eliminates the sound. At least teaches you if it is or is it related to the wheels.

It was a well known problem on the original turbine 21s that they would moan and creak on a car while 19s were quiet. Thoroughly cleaning and lubricating the brake calipers helped. We theorized you were somehow generating a vibration at a natural mode of the wheel and it would “ring”.

Another trick is to park with the front wheels in some soapy water and see if it still makes noise. The reduced friction should reduce the load on the steering rack. If the sound went away, it points to new wheels are extra grippy and the rack isn’t liking it. Don’t know if that is a Tesla problem or not…
Thanks for this feedback. This sound was not occurring when I had the factory 19's on the car. I picked up a Model X Plaid last week, and I'm already starting to hear the same sound in very identical scenarios 🙃. Will try the soapy water suggestion.

Anything I should specifically mention to Tesla service regarding the rack (should it be related to it)?

Did anyone find a solution to this?

I have the same issue, and also a loud honking sound just as the car fully stops (on the “rebound”) when the brakes are fully depressed. A few hard brake stops gets rid of the issue for a while, but may come back the next day or week.

Edit: didn’t have this problem on my 19” winters. Started happening when I switched to the PS4S summers.