Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(21 Plaid) Something is popping when my wheel turns or the car moves at low speeds.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The noise is getting unbearable... I am going to do something about the bash/skid plates next week. But instead of applying thread locker, using felt tape, and/or over torquing the bolts, I am going to try something different: I am thinking about using some type of sealant around the bash plate to prevent any dirt particles from getting in. My hypothesis is that the noise is caused by debris (as oppose to general unwinding of the bolt, as some has tested that overtorquing alone doesn't do the job as I initially hoped it would). My criteria for the sealant are clear, elastic, and high temperature resistant. Something like this below:

I will let you guys know how it goes. Meanwhile, anyone has any other suggestions for the sealant, I am all ears.

1698440970679.png

For me, it was the bash/skid plate.
I removed the cover, the skid plate with the alu bar and separated them. Cleaned all the dirt and grime and dried them. Then added some tape like below.

Also added tape to the rear inside edge that touches the battery pack front.

Bolted it all down in sequence (inside to outside) to 70Nm (aside from the small bolts that are ~10Nm).

Result: car is silent! Huray!

View attachment 952910
Just picked up my X and within 500 miles, the ticking came in. Thanks for the visual as I will attempt to fix this myself. What ape did you use? Look like electrical, but doesn't look like it.

I just got back from taking the bottom panel off. I did not have time to take the brace off.
Some of the bolts was out of spec, I torqued it 70nm and hand tighten others.
Roll off the ramp and turned the wheel, and it's silent.
I'm sure this might come back in the future, I'm just happy I know where the sound is coming from.
If it comes back, for sure I will thread lock it.

Reactions: byeLT4
Read this thread from start to finish. Thank you to EVERYONE that provided their experiences, feedback, details, and fixes. On my '23 MSLR, I'm just starting to get the noise. It's possible it has been there for a while and I didn't notice or had the radio on while parking or maneuvering at low speeds. I will see how far out an appointment might be. Thanks again!

My creaking noise has been getting worse and worse. I tried some of the fixes myself but didn't make any noticeable difference. Decided to take it to Tesla (again), even though previous experiences were mixed.

I have to say I am positively surprised by the quick results: I got the car back in one day, and car is quiet as a mouse! The rep was even nice enough to go out of his way to exchange my loaner to a 2023 X!

Definitely a huge contrast compare to some of my previous experiences.

Keep it up, Tesla!

Reactions: n2mb_racing
My creaking noise has been getting worse and worse. I tried some of the fixes myself but didn't make any noticeable difference. Decided to take it to Tesla (again), even though previous experiences were mixed.

I have to say I am positively surprised by the quick results: I got the car back in one day, and car is quiet as a mouse! The rep was even nice enough to go out of his way to exchange my loaner to a 2023 X!

Definitely a huge contrast compare to some of my previous experiences.

Keep it up, Tesla!
What did they do to fix it? I tried to get my service center to fix my squeaky suspension seven times. They had it for almost two months and never could fix it.

From Tesla Tech:

"Diagnosed and Performed Post-Repair Validation Test Drive. Technician was able to retighten and torque the sub frame bolts and eliminate the squeaking from the sub frame and suspension. Also, the bash bar was lubricated again."

In retrospect, mine was definitely a bit more serious than the typical bash plate noise - not sure if I would be able to find and tighten these subframe bolts myself, so glad I let Tesla do it. Still not sure how the bash bar was lubricated... Maybe they are referring to the anti-seize looking type of gel which I found before when I opened up the bottom?

Oh last thing, I think one of the reasons for the drastic improvement in service quality is this time I went to the newly opened Service Center, vs. previously it was at the much short-staffed delivery center. I am hopeful that as Tesla open up more and more Service Center, service quality will improve.

Went to the SEC today.

Work order: Skidplate cracks again. This has already been
revised twice. Please find a permanent
solution.
Findings: Customer complaint could be reproduced.
Remedy: Replace ski plate and clean and lubricate contact surfaces.
lubricate. Quality: Skidplate replaced according to manufacturer's specifications
and contact surface cleaned and lubricated according to
lubricated.

Part No: 1420509-00-b

The cracking occurred again when I picked it up. I drove over a speed bumper in the SEC parking lot. Nice!

Went to the SEC today.

Work order: Skidplate cracks again. This has already been
revised twice. Please find a permanent
solution.
Findings: Customer complaint could be reproduced.
Remedy: Replace ski plate and clean and lubricate contact surfaces.
lubricate. Quality: Skidplate replaced according to manufacturer's specifications
and contact surface cleaned and lubricated according to
lubricated.

Part No: 1420509-00-b

The cracking occurred again when I picked it up. I drove over a speed bumper in the SEC parking lot. Nice!
Yeah, they never fixed mine.