Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meso

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Hey guys,
I needed to hardwire the V1 in my Plaid X and couldn't really find any info on install/wiring for the refreshed models. Hopefully this post helps the next person out:)

PARTS USED:
-Valentine V1 (gen2)
-Blendmount BV1-2035
-6Ft 14AWG red+black wire
-2 Wire taps

After installing one on my 2018 X, I was hoping the wiring in the overhead mirror was the same on the refreshed. Nope. I couldn't find any stable switched power in the mirror so unfortunately the power wire will need to go down to the center console. Inside the console is the CIG lighter, which is a switched 12V feed and on it's own fuse which will be perfect to tap off. Down side, install is a little more tedious(not hard) as you will have to route the wire a little further.

Install;

remove the small plastic bezel around the mirror base(unclips) then rotate the entire mirror counter clockwise and it will pop off from the base. Final step is to unclip the larger plastic surround. exposing all the sensors/wires mounted on the glass
q2BHAtk.jpg

pop the center plastic bar off(that holds all the wires) and route the new radar power wire through
SzgBtxN.jpg

Reinstall plastic and have wire exit
GjXmvUp.jpg

the wire will be routed this way. It's small and easy to tuck in between the panels
hBhlDkX.png

The power wire for my V1 was a little short and ended up at the drivers B pillar. I didn't feel like ordering a longer one and waiting, so I opted to mount the power connector/junction in there.
fIINtlK.jpg

more than enough room to mount it
kRkWyx1.jpg

I used about 6ft of power/ground and enclosed it in some wire loom
H4aqLOB.jpg

solderless connectors into the main box
vHnuMvi.jpg

Route the power wires down and under the door sill panel. there is a split in the carper under the seat that is perfect to tuck the wire in
Wsg5Bwr.jpg

Under seat pic.
ql5KMzW.jpg

The wire will end up going forward under the seat and into the console
csY8iOE.jpg

In the center console the whole panel that holds the USB-C and CIG outlet pops off.
QLctbzR.jpg

Fish your power wires up into the cavity and Unplug the grey connector so it's easier to work with. Now you can use the wire tap method of your choice. Tesla made it easy, RED +12V and BROWN- Ground.
RRCAJUP.jpg

Install the bracket for your radar detector and plug it in! Done
pECx3ND.jpg

There is a lot of info on Model S Refresh.

There is a spot to tap in the mirror that powers the camera board in the mirror. I can’t imagine that same power source doesn’t exist on the Model X Refresh.

See 12V Access: Model S 2021 Refresh
Thanks for the info. I metered those wires with my Fluke and I got 15V constant. Circuit wouldn't shut off when doors were closed and locked.(although I didn't check/wait until the car went to full sleep mode). I feel more comfortable tapping off an AUX power like CIG lighter and know 100% it's switched.

Thanks for the info. I metered those wires with my Fluke and I got 15V constant. Circuit wouldn't shut off when doors were closed and locked.(although I didn't check/wait until the car went to full sleep mode). I feel more comfortable tapping off an AUX power like CIG lighter and know 100% it's switched.

Alternatively you can pop the right side center console and tap the same aux wire that runs to the back. Then you can just run wire up the front A pillars, up to the headliner, and down the center channel.

Reactions: meso
I've searched through your past threads to see if one started out mentioning how you hard wired from your prior X. I've got a '17 and I just picked up a Uniden detector that I'd like to hardware. Do you have a writeup for dummies (parts needed to buy, wire colors, etc) somewhere that I missed? Also, did you have to buy an aftermarket cord or did you cut up the phone style connecter at the cigarette lighter plug?

I feel more comfortable running way less wires for service to spot and void warranties. ICE cars often run above 14V because that’s what they charge the 12V at. So V1 handles the 15V fine. Turns off and on perfectly. Cigarette lighter sockets have had issues not “turning off” too. So it does not mean your immune to those types of issues. On Model 3 folks tapped cigarette socket and then later a software update changed the behavior and it didn’t turn off.

I feel more comfortable running way less wires for service to spot and void warranties. ICE cars often run above 14V because that’s what they charge the 12V at. So V1 handles the 15V fine. Turns off and on perfectly. Cigarette lighter sockets have had issues not “turning off” too. So it does not mean your immune to those types of issues. On Model 3 folks tapped cigarette socket and then later a software update changed the behavior and it didn’t turn off.
mswlogo - I am a new owner of a new 2023 model S plaid refresh and have the mirror housing off. Which wires did you tap into? See photo. Thx!

Attachments

• teslawiring.JPG
    teslawiring.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 385
mswlogo - I am a new owner of a new 2023 model S plaid refresh and have the mirror housing off. Which wires did you tap into? See photo. Thx!
I have an HW4 MXP and did try the black and red wire one with the black connector in your picture - I am guessing you removed that from the cable management that goes around the housing. No success but didn't have much time to try. If you do find out please let us know!

Nobody tried a hardwire with the mirror tap lately? 🔌

No need for the long wire runs to the kick panels or center console. 👍

Pair with a Blendmount and you'll have an ideal under the mirror position.... looking to transfer over my Uniden R7 from my Model 3 this way to the soon-to-be X.