Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Rim or 22" Rim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any members here have experience to change the rims to 21" or 22"? I have asked a tyre shop today. They say that only 21" rim can be changed to Model S. I read some articles that some onwers changed to 22" rims. Can anybody share his experience?

A lot of tune shop in US fit 22" for Tesla. I know Causewaybay advan shop have a set of 2nd hand Vossen CVT 22 inch fits tesla model S. But personally I won't go for 22". Because its degrading the performance too much. too big the wheels, higher mass, higher unsprung mass, slower, lower acceleration, use more energy, noisy, bumpy, faster wear, tire easy to blow by sidewall damage run over pot hole or curb rash, Only pros is cosmetics and less tire wall flex (reduce heat during aggressive corning)

I ordered 19" stock wheel. I am struggling with either just stick to 19" and change tyre to Michelin PSS or up to 20" wheels for a better look. The stock tyre is All season which is not suitable in Hong Kong, I will sell them once I get the car. Probably 245/40/R20 Front, 275/35/R20 Rear with any max / ultra performance summer tyre. Performance and comfort probably 19" is the best.

I run a forged 21" with 245 front and 285 rear, personally, I love it! My wheels are lighter than factory 19". I think 22 is too big for HK. You can achieve close to 22 look with 21 if you slam the car. Plus, 22 is heavy, unless forge! If you have P85D, I think it can handle 22.

Have you guys ever heard Tesla service say about void warranty on suspension, drive unit and brakes if we change to wheel size not the same as OE. This is the answer I got some time ago. After some six months later another Tesla guy told me that only if damage is caused by the aftermarket wheel will void warranty. But they did mention they will refuse to service on cars that they need to touch the aftermarket wheels, like changing brake pads, etc. You will need to change back to stock wheel before they will work on it. The biggest struggle for me to upgrade is that, I need to keep that four wheels somewhere in case I need service. I probably need to rent a mini storage to hold on to them. I live in an apartment with non-fixed parking rental car park means I cannot put the wheels at the back of the parking And no way I would put four wheels in my home either.

22" is ok for MS but my opinion is only good for non-D model in HK.

you may know that Tesla is deliveiring a squared 245/21 setup instead of staggered 265 for P85D if u took the 21" option........... Properly they finally realized that is downright dangerous to run staggered setup in AWD. So if u have a D model, suggest u to keep the same size or similar rolling radius for the front and rear.

After u found the right circumference and fitments to suit for AWD, u would realise that not much choices on tyre if u decided to go for 22" and I don't think u would consider to put all seasons rubbers in HK.

I have a P85D, and recently installed DPE ES5 22x9.5 (255x35x22) front 22x10.5 (295x25x22) rear. I have also lowered it 0.5" with airmatic lowering links.

The front rubs in reverse when when steering is in full turn and car set at lowest setting, the ride & performance is about the same. But otherwise, love the look and no other complaints

21" Rim or 22" Rim

Lower to 1 finger gap, no rubbing!

bca7050ea98553db09039a2dfdd690a8.jpg