Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21% SOC - Charging complete - Limited - After MCU died

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to help someone with a 2014 S85 which has/had the charge limit set at approx 80% but when you attempt to charge it, it says "charging", and about one second later "charging complete". It's sitting at about (I can't remember exactly) either 7 or 9 % or miles range (can't remember which but the pack is almost empty either way). Basically, the car is useless/un-drivable until it's been charged. There appear to be no other signs of imminent MCU failure. The car has 19,000 miles on it, which would seem to infer that it hasn't been powered up long enough in it's life for the eMMC failure to be likely?

This sounds like the same problem as you guys in this thread? Has anybody proven that a new eMMC replacement has resolved this for anybody?

I have the contents the SD card out of the MCU (which is currently on the bench) to see if I can see anything in the logs, but they are not ASCII files so I haven't yet figured out if they are readable (let alone contain anything of value)

Any thoughts/help/suggestions would be most appreciated!

Cheers.

The SD cars don't contain logs, depending on which one you are looking at, you either have the gateway or maps card, neither that you would find any important info.

Some cars do have trouble charging without a tegra, or a bad eMMC. Working MCU allows it to charge.

mutant_matt, ask your '14 friend if he had charging set for scheduled charging. There's been reports that this limited charging issue is caused by failing eMMC but particularly related to reduced charging when the owner had the car setup for scheduled charging.

Its been recommended for those of us that think we have a upcoming eMMC problem to remove scheduled charging and plug in when ready to charge and also to turn off Pin2drive. As Pin2drive can impact charging and sometimes driving because the eMMC can't bring up the Pin2drive screen.

Many Thanks all for the comments. I spent some more time with the car yesterday with some other friends (who are clever and work in the auto industry). I have now pulled both the 16GB SanDisk MicroSD card (which has two "Linux" (etx3) partitions on it) and seems to be just the SatNav stuff, and more importantly, the standard 4GB (unbranded) SD card with lots of interesting "car" stuff on it.

From the card, I can see lots of DTC codes (which isn't a good sign), but currently, haven't found a resource/way to find out what the codes mean/refer to. On the card I can see the logs, but they are in binary, so can figure out no way to "decode" them to read them (you presumably need a tool that only Tesla have for that). I can see a copy of the firmware and some other car config files and a UDS log file which looks like was created when the car was last at Tesla for diags (it's out of warranty, so all they will say is "the MCU is the "wrong" one for the car and they can't get any logs off of it (not sure I believe the 2nd part), and that the car needs a new main battery pack (not sure about that yet either)). The car was originally a "Cat D" (economic) write off, fixed, put back on the road, sold at auction, and has been happy for the year or so and 3000 miles driven since. Supercharging and Fast Charging was working, until a few weeks ago (not sure if that's part of the whole "Tesla turning off ex-salvage fast charging" thing, or part of the actual problem).

Based on the cost of the above, we're trying to see what we can figure out what the problem really is, as the owner doesn't have GBP22k to spend on fixing the car. I have to say, the MCU has shown zero of the usual signs of imminent failure, and the car has clearly not been powered up much of it's life, at 6 years old and 19,000 miles (though I do wonder if there is battery pack problems due to the fact it must have spent too much of it's life sitting idle). A very cheuqered history for this car, to be sure.

We've got the kit for "Scan my Tesla" on order, so we can have a look at the battery cell stuff, and yesterday we got onto the CAN bus via the daig port with a home made CAN tool and wiring. A mate is going to write a Windows app to read the data coming from the CAN to work with the specific CAN adapter he already has, so we can hopefully start reading the info that way also.

One other thing, I am wondering if the problem is coolant flow/pack temp related, as it will charge on a 3-pin (240v) UK plug for a couple of minutes (at about 5 amps, even if you select 9/10A), before saying charge complete, if the car has been standing. After that, if you try again, you get a few seconds of charge before it says charge complete. We managed to get 2 miles of range into it (from 10 miles to 12 ;) ) yesterday, by repeated plugging/unplugging (which clearly isn't the answer).

To answer the question, he did have charge scheduling turned on, but I turned it off last week when we started trying to figure out this problem.

I've not heard of Pin2drive, I'll do some digging on that one.

The car did say the pack was cold (and has the frost symbol on the screen), but it correctly reported the ambient as 18 degC. Does that sound normal? I can hear the coolant pump spin up when it is charging (though it's quite "whiney" and sounds quite small), and spin down again when "Charging complete" appears on the screen.

Cheers,

Matt.

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. I wonder / hope MCU2 will be available soon in Europe as I do not want to spend 2500 EUR on and old MCU1 with the same design flaw. My car was "just out of warranty" (80K kms). Although I had been experiencing different type of glitches for a while, I have only reported the issue when the screen was black. Pretty frustrating and not getting a lot of useful support by the service center. This is not what I expect from Tesla.

Hello from Canada,

I have the same issue. Vehicle trickle charges at about 3 to 5 KM every 24 hours and stops at 75 to 80KM. No hope in hell on getting a loaner. And will probably be SOL for a month.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried supercharing?

I have a supercharger 10KMs away, but if I give it a try it and back, it will take a week to get any of those KMs back.

Incidentally, I bet for a fraction of the cost that the SC would have charged to get the car back on the road.
What this means is while it will last you 4+ years if you choose to leave it that way, it would certainly tide you over with restored capability until Tesla makes MCU2 available to your area regardless of how long it takes.