Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21% SOC - Charging complete - Limited - After MCU died

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 P85D.

After MCU died completely, charging was limited to 21%. Independently if I am charging over UMC, CHAdeMO, or SUC (speed is full, almost 120kw at the begining) it charges to 21% and then report message "Charging complete" !
No charge limit set to this point before ! I leave it at 80%, and after MCU gone blank I set it to 100% to secure myself if I loose connection over mobile app. After one day connection to car also gone, and charging become possible only to 21%.
My black&white screen of mobile app show last data, and there is visible limiter pointer set at 100% for sure.

Does anybody experienced something like that ?

I dont see any technical reason for this situation, except some strange safety feature ?
But then all people with bad MCU will experiance the same, and I cant find documented information about that.

Answer from SC is that they will be able to see when they get new MCU ?!
Im sure they can connect to BMS at least or something ?!

One month without car, in Graz SC. No loaner. It will not be MCU2, MCU1 but with 4G internet. As I was told right now is 70 Teslas across Europe waiting for MCU replacement, because they ship it from USA in bulk, not one by one. As I dont knew how more long will be without car, I went to pick up a car, 200 km from home, and will use it at least with 21%.

Thanks for any info & advice.
I will update also when I see what will be in the end.

2015 P85D.

After MCU died completely, charging was limited to 21%. Independently if I am charging over UMC, CHAdeMO, or SUC (speed is full, almost 120kw at the begining) it charges to 21% and then report message "Charging complete" !
No charge limit set to this point before ! I leave it at 80%, and after MCU gone blank I set it to 100% to secure myself if I loose connection over mobile app. After one day connection to car also gone, and charging become possible only to 21%.
My black&white screen of mobile app show last data, and there is visible limiter pointer set at 100% for sure.

Does anybody experienced something like that ?

I dont see any technical reason for this situation, except some strange safety feature ?
But then all people with bad MCU will experiance the same, and I cant find documented information about that.

Answer from SC is that they will be able to see when they get new MCU ?!
Im sure they can connect to BMS at least or something ?!

One month without car, in Graz SC. No loaner. It will not be MCU2, MCU1 but with 4G internet. As I was told right now is 70 Teslas across Europe waiting for MCU replacement, because they ship it from USA in bulk, not one by one. As I dont knew how more long will be without car, I went to pick up a car, 200 km from home, and will use it at least with 21%.

Thanks for any info & advice.
I will update also when I see what will be in the end.
I am sending my tegra board off for an emmc replacement. Currently I am charged to 80% with the charge limit set to 100%. this can be seen on the IC, as with yours. As soon as I plug in, I see “starting to charge,” then “charge complete.” I will see if it charges tomorrow after I drive it down a little lower. I’m hoping I get more than 21% as that is what I need for a one way trip to work.

I'm at about 70% SOC and just pulled the tegra board to send to Tony.

When I try to charge the car just says charging compete as well. I have no idea if 21% will be there magic number or not. Agree, I'll need more than that to get to and from work for the few days...

Any chance a connection in the back of the MCU could be to blame? Is anything in the MCU working with the eMMC removed?

Tony suggested a 12v charger to avoid trickle loss overnight so I'm at least using that

I'm at about 70% SOC and just pulled the tegra board to send to Tony.

When I try to charge the car just says charging compete as well. I have no idea if 21% will be there magic number or not. Agree, I'll need more than that to get to and from work for the few days...

Any chance a connection in the back of the MCU could be to blame? Is anything in the MCU working with the eMMC removed?

Tony suggested a 12v charger to avoid trickle loss overnight so I'm at least using that
Do you recall what your charge limit was set to prior to removing the MCU?

Mine was on miles, I only tried charging when at around 140 miles on my 90D and with emmc in it would say charging at 2kw but I would actually lose charge. With the emmc out it would just say charge complete. When I get back home next week I can try plugging in to see what it says. I left with 25 miles remaining. Expecting it to be basically dead when I get home.

Mine was on miles, I only tried charging when at around 140 miles on my 90D and with emmc in it would say charging at 2kw but I would actually lose charge. With the emmc out it would just say charge complete. When I get back home next week I can try plugging in to see what it says. I left with 25 miles remaining. Expecting it to be basically dead when I get home.

I hope that's not the case. Using a 12V tender usually supplies enough power so the HV battery is not needed to charge the 12V.

I am trying to help someone with a 2014 S85 which has/had the charge limit set at approx 80% but when you attempt to charge it, it says "charging", and about one second later "charging complete". It's sitting at about (I can't remember exactly) either 7 or 9 % or miles range (can't remember which but the pack is almost empty either way). Basically, the car is useless/un-drivable until it's been charged. There appear to be no other signs of imminent MCU failure. The car has 19,000 miles on it, which would seem to infer that it hasn't been powered up long enough in it's life for the eMMC failure to be likely?

This sounds like the same problem as you guys in this thread? Has anybody proven that a new eMMC replacement has resolved this for anybody?

I have the contents the SD card out of the MCU (which is currently on the bench) to see if I can see anything in the logs, but they are not ASCII files so I haven't yet figured out if they are readable (let alone contain anything of value)

Any thoughts/help/suggestions would be most appreciated!

Cheers.

I am trying to help someone with a 2014 S85 which has/had the charge limit set at approx 80% but when you attempt to charge it, it says "charging", and about one second later "charging complete". It's sitting at about (I can't remember exactly) either 7 or 9 % or miles range (can't remember which but the pack is almost empty either way). Basically, the car is useless/un-drivable until it's been charged. There appear to be no other signs of imminent MCU failure. The car has 19,000 miles on it, which would seem to infer that it hasn't been powered up long enough in it's life for the eMMC failure to be likely?

This sounds like the same problem as you guys in this thread? Has anybody proven that a new eMMC replacement has resolved this for anybody?

I have the contents the SD card out of the MCU (which is currently on the bench) to see if I can see anything in the logs, but they are not ASCII files so I haven't yet figured out if they are readable (let alone contain anything of value)

Any thoughts/help/suggestions would be most appreciated!

Cheers.
Replacing my emmc did allow me to charge again but the emmc was definitely failed.