TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

21" Tire Blow Out (Shout out to Jerry33)

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by rlawson4, Feb 6, 2013.

1. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

As he predicted I have my first tire blow out today. I have the 21" inch rims. I had to then destroy the RIM to get home and switch cars because I could not miss court for my client. I have ordered the 19" rims today. The 21s are not practical for me. I have to be places that I cannot be late. People are counting on me. I am sorry I did not take Jerry's advice. The pot hole was rather small and it was still a total blow out.

2. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

That really sucks...are the roads that bad in Atlanta?

3. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

You might want to consider putting run flat tires on your 19" rims when you get them...

4. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

Well that road was bad. It's odd because all the years I lived here its my first blow out.

5. kinddog

kinddog Banned

you should have been prepared with the trusty Tesla Tire Repair Kit!!!

or does it suck? anyone know?

6. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

That tired looked like it was torn to shreads. Only God could have repaired it.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Mod note: Thread title updated to be more descriptive. b.

8. drees

drees Active Member

+1. If you can't be late because of a random flat, run-flats are a must. They'll cost a bit more (though in 19" the cost will be similar to 21" non-run-flats), will be less efficient (though I'd expect them to be similar to the stock 21" wheel/tire) and don't handle quite as well, but at least you can typically drive up to 50 miles at up to 50 mph on a flat. Looks like there's a good selection of run-flats in the stock 19" tire size.

Yep, a blowout of any kind will be way too big to fix with a can of goo, especially one from from a pothole is very likely to have torn the sidewall to a degree that a can of fix-a-flat isn't going to do anything.

9. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

That's likely just a rebadged Slime air compressor. You'll also want a plug kit.

But, pothole blow-outs are not repairable by anyone, and certainly not in the field. The plug kits are for nails and such in the tread only. Sidewall damage is unrepairable.

There's so much storage on Model S - maybe carrying a spare is the way to go.

If I had a Model S, I'd be looking into a set of 20" wheels. The 21s are too aggressive and the 19s don't handle well enough.

10. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

First off...glad to hear of no injuries to you but how far was the drive back home and was the damage to the tire on the sidewall or in the treads?

11. dtich

dtich #P708

ack. sorry to hear about that. i personally love the 21s, but yes, they're sports car wheels, no likey the holes. avoid potholes with extreme prejudice.

12. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Anyone looked for space-saving temp spares? I've been looking through a few BMW places for the equivalent, but I'm wary about the size of the Model S brakes...

13. kinddog

kinddog Banned

does a full OEM 21" spare wheel/tire fit in the frunk? if so i might put a 5th wheel in there...

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No, it's a little too big.

15. Sigma4Life

Sigma4Life Member

Exactly. I still love my 21" wheels and wouldn't have it any other way. To me they look much better than the 19" wheels. It's worth the risk to me.

16. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

It was 5 miles to home. The tread and side walls are damaged. Maybe some of the damage occurred on the way home.

17. childressmd

childressmd Member

Was there a pic I missed?

The pothole flat that I had a number of years ago (on a different car) and all the others I've see as a result of holes have been the same: The wheel is bent, and the tire instantly loses the bead contact with the rim and all pressure. Whether or not the tire sidewall is damaged at the pothole strike is moot. It is certainly irreparably damaged when it gets folded up and creased by the edge of the rim by the time you get the vehicle stopped.

I'm not sure run flats are gonna hang around any better once all the pressure is done, and the bead contact is messed up along a bent wheel.

18. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I've had run flats for the past few years and I hate them. Harsh ride and VERY noisy. With the MS they would sound even louder. I'd look into compact blowup spares.

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it would be cool if Tesla Roadside Assistance actually carried spares. They could swap out your tire, take yours in for repair/replacement, and you could then come back later to exchange the spare for your own wheel and pay for whatever services were rendered.

20. strider

strider Active Member

There's a belief that a deflated 19" would fit in the frunk but don't think anyone has actually done it. I would just install run-flats before going this route.