Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Tire Blow Out (Shout out to Jerry33)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off...glad to hear of no injuries to you but how far was the drive back home and was the damage to the tire on the sidewall or in the treads?

It doesn't take long for runflat damage to disintegrate a tire. Even without seeing it, it's almost certain the original damage was to the sidewall.

It doesn't take long for runflat damage to disintegrate a tire. Even without seeing it, it's almost certain the original damage was to the sidewall.

I may have been the first to have to replace a Model S tire. I cut a sidewall by curbing the tire in late November; no blow-out, but it was clear the tire had to be replaced. Not a fun purchase.

As he predicted I have my first tire blow out today. I have the 21" inch rims. I had to then destroy the RIM to get home and switch cars because I could not miss court for my client. I have ordered the 19" rims today. The 21s are not practical for me. I have to be places that I cannot be late. People are counting on me. I am sorry I did not take Jerry's advice. The pot hole was rather small and it was still a total blow out.

I found you a fix that will allow you to keep your 21" rims , 21" run flats
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&autoYear=2012&autoModel=Model S&autoModClar=

As he predicted I have my first tire blow out today. I have the 21" inch rims. I had to then destroy the RIM to get home and switch cars because I could not miss court for my client.

Sorry this happened, especially when you had somewhere you needed to be. I'm wondering, for the S community, is this the first pothole-related blowout of a 21" tire on the S? If so, has anyone taken a crack at estimating the total miles driven so far on the 21" wheels for all cumulative S deliveries so far? It would obviously require some big assumptions and be more of a guess, but I'm wondering if a blowout was "due" and that the implied overall frequency may be good or bad, depending. It still sucks for anyone getting a blowout after only xxxx miles, but the bigger takeaway perhaps is still to be determined.

No, it's a little too big.

OK, has anyone tried fitting a full OEM 19" spare wheel/tire in the frunk? Everyone says the 21s are too big, but are the 19s also too big?

- - - Updated - - -

There's a belief that a deflated 19" would fit in the frunk but don't think anyone has actually done it. I would just install run-flats before going this route.

Run-flats are reported to have a really harsh ride. Since I want a cozy, soft-riding land boat, that would not be suitable.

OK, has anyone tried fitting a full OEM 19" spare wheel/tire in the frunk? Everyone says the 21s are too big, but are the 19s also too big?

Too big means too tall to fit in the frunk by a couple of inches (as far as I've heard). As both tires have the same nominal section width, I'd say the 19" are also too big. The 19" tires do have a smaller tread width, but it's not two inches smaller. The well in the back looks like a better fit (from memory) although there's no way the tire won't stick up out of it. If that doesn't work, then I put the stuff in the well and lay the spare on the back for trips. I know it will fit there :)

Well I have had the 19s since Friday and they are a better choice for me. The ride is better for sure. I have the unique experience of 4000 miles on the 21s and now 400 on the 19s. One interesting thing is that you cannot floor the car in the 19s without screeching the tires. They do not grip as well as the 21s. That being said, I only floored the car to show off to friends. As long as I go with a rolling start, then I can still floor them. Overall, I am very pleased and even more pleased that the tesla service guys came out the next day to swap the tires. It was great customer service. The guys in Atlanta are extremely nice.

If you put a pair of conti DW, or michelin pilot super sports then you could enjoy the grippiness of the 21's with the higher sidewall of the 19's.

Well I have had the 19s since Friday and they are a better choice for me. The ride is better for sure. I have the unique experience of 4000 miles on the 21s and now 400 on the 19s. One interesting thing is that you cannot floor the car in the 19s without screeching the tires. They do not grip as well as the 21s. That being said, I only floored the car to show off to friends. As long as I go with a rolling start, then I can still floor them. Overall, I am very pleased and even more pleased that the tesla service guys came out the next day to swap the tires. It was great customer service. The guys in Atlanta are extremely nice.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it would be cool if Tesla Roadside Assistance actually carried spares. They could swap out your tire, take yours in for repair/replacement, and you could then come back later to exchange the spare for your own wheel and pay for whatever services were rendered.

That's a great idea. Maybe you should email Tesla.