Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Tread depth after 6000 miles on a P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is a data point for those considering the life of the 21 summer tires. Obviously, your mileage will vary, but this data point may help. My lifetime average is around 320 Wh/m if that helps you figure out my driving style.

I got my P85D with 21" wheels and summer tires in August 2015. In early December I popped them off myself and swapped them out with a 19" winter package (Rials + Michelin X-Ice). I don't know what the starting tread depth was but I think most new tires come around 9/32" or thereabouts (please correct me below if I'm wrong).

After 6000 miles between August - early December, here are the tire tread depths. I wrote down three readings per tire from the inside edge to the outside edge. For each reading, I sample three times in slightly different spots to average out the readings.

Tire Setup: Michelin Pilot Sport
Front: 245/35 ZR21 (96Y) Extra Load
Rear: 265/35 ZR21 (101Y) Extra Load

At 6000 miles, Dec 2015

Tread depths are from inside edge to outside edge.

Driver Front: 8/8/8
Passenger Front: 8/8/8
Driver Rear: 7/7/7
Passenger Rear: 7/7/7

I don't really do any full on launches and I tend to cruise just above the speed limit. On highways with 65mph, I'd typically do around 70 and let everyone else go around me. I would say that the tires are still good for another 6000 miles at least and I was expecting/budgeting for around 12,000 miles. That's pretty much what low profile, high performance summer tires have gotten me on my Porsches. Clearly, this car is much, much, heavier, so maybe that wasn't a fair expectation. Nonetheless, so far I'm on track.

PS2 or PSS? Huge difference in wear.

How does the inside edge of the rear look? The wear people have gotten here doesn't really count as tread depth.

Not sure how your math works 2/32 in 6k, another 6k until the tires are done? If you have another car for rainy days run them down to nearly bald...

How does the inside edge of the rear look? The wear people have gotten here doesn't really count as tread depth.

Not sure how your math works 2/32 in 6k, another 6k until the tires are done? If you have another car for rainy days run them down to nearly bald...

PSS do not come in 265/35R21, so I assume OP has PS2.

Pretty sure it is PSS as I don't recall seeing PS2 anywhere on the tire.

The inside shoulder of the tire looked good. Definitely no visible un-even wear issues. My estimate of the remaining life of the tire is a total guess. I really don't hold on to cars long enough to totally wear out tires. With the Tesla though, I might. I like this car enough to actually drive it enough to replace tires. What is a conservative estimate of when I should replace the tire? at 5/32? 4/32?

The inside shoulder of the tire looked good. Definitely no visible un-even wear issues. My estimate of the remaining life of the tire is a total guess. I really don't hold on to cars long enough to totally wear out tires. With the Tesla though, I might. I like this car enough to actually drive it enough to replace tires. What is a conservative estimate of when I should replace the tire? at 5/32? 4/32?

Based on your description, you indeed have Pilot Sport PS2 (PS2 is shown in small letters just below "t" in Sport - see attached picture). Pilot Super Sport is actually fully spelled on tire side wall (see picture below). So PS2 it is.:smile:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    659.4 KB · Views: 119
  • image.png
    image.png
    661.2 KB · Views: 86
PSS do not come in 265/35R21, so I assume OP has PS2.

That's unfortubate considering how much better PSS is, with double the tread life despite that fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Check your state laws. Probably 2/32. For summer tires that's fine.

That's unfortubate considering how much better PSS is, with double the tread life despite that fact.
Yah, I was thrilled to get PSS on the 21". Then upset that they ran out of stock (globally) for a while after the second replacement, so I went with the OEM-flavored Contis. (Apparently they're back in stock now)

On the 19s, they don't offer the PSS which is annoying. Currently I'm on the OEM Michelin MXM4s but I'm always planning out the next replacement when it comes to Tesla tires.

Tell me about that! I have staggered setup, and run Pilot SS front, Pilot PS2 rear. My rears down to the bars on the inside edge of the tire (about 14k miles), and I've just ordered Contisportcontacts 5P ContiSilent (with the foam strip inside) to try...

I had about 12,000 miles on my summer tires when I changed them out, the fronts were at 5/32 and the rears were at 6/32 so there just about toast. I figured about 16,000 miles per set, I drive pretty aggressively launching just about every chance I get.

Last edited: