Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Turbine wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm currently waiting for delivery of my inventory 75D and I've had a sudden change of heart!

I went for the 21" grey turbines, but am thinking the silver ones would look better (midnight silver). I even think 19" might be better as I hear the range, ride quality and tyre longevity are all much better!

So.......what do you think the dealership will say if I ask them if I can swap to either silver 21"s or 19"s?

I switched from 19" silver to 21 grey turbine wheels (with all-seasons Continental tires, non staggered) and I love them (midnight silver car). Didn't not notice any difference in ride quality. Time will tell as to tire longevity.

Hi all, I'm currently waiting for delivery of my inventory 75D and I've had a sudden change of heart!

I went for the 21" grey turbines, but am thinking the silver ones would look better (midnight silver). I even think 19" might be better as I hear the range, ride quality and tyre longevity are all much better!

So.......what do you think the dealership will say if I ask them if I can swap to either silver 21"s or 19"s?

Stay with the grey turbines...I have the exact some color combination and it looks awesome. The silver would not look good with Midnight Silver in my opinion.

I have the lighter silver so not quite the same, but here's mine. I think grey would look better on the midnight silver would look better than silver. I thought about selling my 21's for 19's for the same reasons, but range on my P85 is roughly 260 miles at 90% with 21s which went up from 230 recalculating my driving.. D's have better range than that too. They did seem just a bit louder than the 75D with 19's I had as a loaner, but marginal difference. The top "concern" would be wear. Only about a month into mine so I don't know how long they will last (Continentals brand new at pick up) but they look soooooo much nicer than the 19's, I'll splurge a little and just keep 21's, even if they don't last as long.

PhotoGrid_1499301149422-01-01-01-01.jpeg

Different lighting (above was at sundown)
IMG_20170619_182322.jpg

The 21" wheels were the worst decision I made when buying my MS two years ago. I knew they weren't pothole friendly, however I rarely encounter potholes where I live, so no big deal right? Well I spent 6 months paranoid about potholes and then finally hit one on a pitch black road in a turn. One pothole and I lost two tires. This was 2 hours from my house, with my kids in the third-row seats, at night, with no other way to get my kids home besides having my wife drive our other vehicle to get us.

So $1,000 later I'm back on the road, and then I notice one of my rims is cracked. This was a wheel involved in the pothole incident. I still have no idea how it happened. Tesla price to replace it was $1,400. Instead I bought an aftermarket set of 20" wheels for $1,000 and a set of 20" tires for $1,000 (compared to about $2,000 for a set of the 21" tires alone). I dumped those 21" for cheap and have been happy ever since. Except for the ~$5k down the drain.

• Informative
Reactions: renshcp

I had a loaner with 21" wheels and found that it gave a less comfortable, somewhat noisier ride than the 19" wheels on my 2016 S. Also, the rims were easily scuffed by curbs, etc. - so much for the improved looks. Add to those issues the lower range and tire longevity and, for me, the decision to go with 19" wheels for my S was a good one. There are other factors, but I chose how the car actually rides and its efficiency over how someone I do not know thinks my car looks on the outside. It actually looks very good anyway.

Reactions: pilotSteve
So $1,000 later I'm back on the road, and then I notice one of my rims is cracked. This was a wheel involved in the pothole incident.

I can't figure out how to edit my post. What I meant to say was the cracked rim was *not* involved in the pothole incident (other side of the car). And it was about 2 months later that I saw the cracked rim.

And now that I have Autopilot (which wasn't out back then), I realize that it will not avoid potholes at all, so it was only inevitable that I would have hit one. Unless you live somewhere with literally no potholes (Phoenix?).

I can't figure out how to edit my post. What I meant to say was the cracked rim was *not* involved in the pothole incident (other side of the car). And it was about 2 months later that I saw the cracked rim.

And now that I have Autopilot (which wasn't out back then), I realize that it will not avoid potholes at all, so it was only inevitable that I would have hit one. Unless you live somewhere with literally no potholes (Phoenix?).
Do you know how it cracked?? That's crazy!

I would feel the same if my city didn't have much of any pot holes. When they appear, they are filled almost instantly. They are more sustainable to scratches, but the 19's aren't that much safer from all that.

I drove 15 miles to the SC with 19's and 15 miles back in 21's with just a few minutes in between the drives, and it really wasn't much different, despite already having it in mind that the 21's are louder and rougher. I think it depends on two things, suspension: both had air, and road quality. I was surprised at how they both were similar. 21's I feel drove better in control though. As far as aesthetics, I like the look for my taste, but I would certainly have had a bad taste in my mouth in your shoes.

I replaced the front and rear tires before I hit 8000 miles due to pothole damage. The 19" wheels and tires are much less noisy, but the handling feel is much better in the 21" wheel/tire combination. It depends what you're looking to optimize. If it's longevity, I wouldn't recommend the 21" set up.

As for the color, I have grey turbines on Midnight Silver Metallic Very sporty look. Personally, I don't think the silver wheels look good with the Midnight Silver Metallic.

Do you know how it cracked?? That's crazy!

No, that was probably the most concerning part. You'd think I'd notice something bad enough to completely crack my rim, but I didn't. That makes me think it wasn't all that hard to do.

I also notice on 21" wheels even going over a speed bump slightly too fast, or even off the edge of a driveway with a 2" lip, the car can hit pretty hard compared to 19" or even 20" wheels.

No, that was probably the most concerning part. You'd think I'd notice something bad enough to completely crack my rim, but I didn't. That makes me think it wasn't all that hard to do.

I also notice on 21" wheels even going over a speed bump slightly too fast, or even off the edge of a driveway with a 2" lip, the car can hit pretty hard compared to 19" or even 20" wheels.
That is worrisome. I have in mind to switch to 19's after some long term use on the 21's if I don't like the outcome. I was actually looking at 19's as one of my wants, but ended up with a almost fully loaded CPO that happened to also come with 21's.

TST matte black 19's look good on the car... and it make sit a bit more aggressive. I like mine.

That said, I run 21" grey turbines in the summer, and the TST 19"s in the winter. The ride quality is much better, as is the effeciency on the 19s. If i had to pick only one set, I would go with the 19" wheels as the best all-around wheel. I've shredded a couple tires on the 21s on potholes and the tires are way more expensive... easier to curb rash your rims as well.