Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" vs 19" Wheels on P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered with 19" wheels. The 21" look too big and have that rubber band look that you start to see with ridiculous sizes. My Infiniti FX50S has 21" wheels, but the tire's are higher profile, so it looks proportional. That said, the 19" wheel look a little too small. It's a shame they didn't have a 20" option. To me that would have been exactly the right size and I would have paid extra for those.

completely agree, 19s look a touch too small. 20s would have been perfect. Having said that 19s on one of my older cars were perfect but as the model S is so big i think thats why they look smallish

From our side of the fence, I've received plenty of calls from (non D) owners looking to get out of the 21" wheels and go to 19" after replacing at least two factory 21" wheels due to impact damage......With only one exception, we've had little issues with the 19" aftermarket wheels we sell standing up to the elements......We also have a good selection of 20" (non turbine style) aftermarket wheels if needed ! :wink:

I think a lightweight 20" option is the balance you're going for. The 20" gives the proper balance of form and function on the Model S. You can run 245s or 255s in the front which both have substantial sidewall to protect the wheels. A stronger flowform or forged option will help mitigate wheel damage which seems is an issue with OEM 21"s. I've yet to see a forged 19" setup, which is definitely the safest (and stylish) bet.

Agreed, I just swapped out my OEM 21" staggered with 20" Rohana rotary forged; the handling loss is acceptable compared to the better ride and cheaper tires for penny pinchers like me :tongue:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ce-Summer-to-Max-Performance-All-Season-tires

I just switched from the staggered 21" on my P85D to the 19" (T Sportline) with Pilot Sport A/S 3. I went with 245/45 R19 all around. I was very concerned about the loss of performance, and didn't want to have to live with the traction control coming on every time I accelerated aggressively, like it did in the P85+ that I test drove. I am happy to say that they grip of the Pilot Sport A/S 3 is awesome, it hasn't slipped yet despite numerous hard starts off the line. I find the ride better, and road noise improved also. In a tire which is half the price to the PS2s, and is rated to last 45k miles, versus the 10K miles of the PS2s in the staggered setup.

I have both 21's and 19's. I use the 21's until the temperatures drop below 50 degrees, then I switch over to the stock 19's with Michelin primacy tires. As some else already stated the 21's do give you an advantage, but you have to drive at hyper extreme speeds on turns to actually notice it. (3 X the exit ramp speed). I do notice the car rides quieter on the 19's and they cost half as much as my staggered 21's on my P85+. If I were going for a compromise, I would buy these rims ESE Carbons (most likely would increase range, reduce noise, and handle better).

Also the 21's with sport tires are useless once the temperature drop below 50... they slip, slide and lose the summer time stickiness... I have only had one crack - I had it repaired and its doing fine ($800, plus I PVD black chrome refinished all 4 wheels). If I were buying today I would get the 90D with 19 inch rims.

If anyone is looking to switch from the 21 inch tires and rims to the 19 in ones I'm selling my 19inch original model S Tires and Rims. The tires are practically brand new. 245 - 45 - 19 Michelin Tires. The rims are absolutely positively perfect.
20191201_131311.jpg
I'm asking $1,200 I live in Los Angeles California

Attachments

• 20191201_131311.jpg
    20191201_131311.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 47