TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

21" wheel impact on range and ride quality

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Doctt, Mar 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Doctt

Doctt Member

All,

I have already placed my order on 100D. I still have several more days to change my mind on options.

Now I am debating if I should get the 22" rim. It should look great but concern about range impact. Comparing to the standard 20" wheel, what % of range do you lost? I googled it and some said 10% to 15% penalty. It used to state on the tesla custom order site the amount of penalty when you choose the 22", but now this warning is gone. Not sure if Tesla has done something to improve it.

Any real life experience?

thanks in advance

2. Tjhappel

Tjhappel Member

I have a 90d with 22's and I can't break 200 miles by myself in Southern California(all freeway driving). Given a choice again I'd say 20 without hesitation but I drive a ton. If it was an around town car and range doesn't matter 22's looks very very nice.

They are noisier and the ride is much stiffer as well

3. rush6410

rush6410 Member

I have the 20 helix. Smooth and quite ride with maximum range. Very happy with them. I think the standard wheel is not appealing.

4. Doctt

Doctt Member

I am surprise to hear you could not even hit 200 miles with 90D. The "range penalty" could be as high as 15%

5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Tesla has recently removed this range advisory from the Model X configuration website ... :cool:

Model X range.PNG

6. Doctt

Doctt Member

Now the new price is $5500.....

7. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

T-Sportline has lighter weight options in 22" which should have about a 5% range loss I think? They also have 20" wheels that look better and bigger. Powdercoating/Dipping the stock wheels black are a much cheaper alternative, and make the wheels look a lot bigger too.

8. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete and lowering champion

I was going to get the 20'' tst from t sport line but instead powdercoated the stock rims. They look great. No range loss whatsoever. I vote for 20''. I got a great guy here in LA too.

• Like x 1
  9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

It's not something Tesla can improve. It's physics. The 22" wheels just weight more. You'll see mileage hits like this on any vehicle.

I'm starting to really see my avg Wh/m drop now that the weather here in the PNW is sort of warming up. I averaged 412 with the 22's from my end of June delivery until I put some 20" TSW winter wheels on in November. Since then my avg Wh/m has dropped to 409 but that includes a colder and wetter than normal winter with lots of short trips.

I don't think Tesla was far off in the 10% - 15% estimates in range reduction with the 22" wheels at all.

• Helpful x 1
  10. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

@zackmilo- could you please share who you used for powdercoat? I am in LA. Could you pm me? Thanks.

11. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

22" wheels have higher efficiency loss than wireless charging.
    Just saying ...

• Funny x 1
  12. Doctt

Doctt Member

I finally did it. I ordered the 22" because it completely transforms the look. At least now that I know what I get myself into. If i am not happy with the range, it is on me:). Hope 100d can mitigate some of the issue

13. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

I just swapped 20s to 22s with Goodyear summer rubber
    Ride is amazing!
    It handles light years better, surprisingly same level of comfort and extremely quiet (foamed inside)
    So far, i see a penalty in range (350 -> 400) since i switched, but it's too early to assess properly
    Winter tires in cold have way better rolling resistance than summer tires
    Once it warms up a bit, i'll have a better understanding on the range impact
    I need 50F or above to compare fairly

14. Doctt

Doctt Member

Does summer tire typically have better range than all season or winder tire?

15. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

For anyone looking for a lightweight option our 22" UP-02 wheels are about 8% lighter than the factory 20's and engineered specifically for Tesla. They're also available in 20" sizing as well

IMG_7745.jpg IMG_7767.jpg IMG_7785.jpg

• Love x 1
  16. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I was referring to the Tesla 22" wheel option. Obviously a lightweight aftermarket wheel will not have the same impact.

Do you make them in black? :p;)

17. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

Oh np just wanted to point out that our 22's are lighter than factory 20's which is not the case for many wheels on the market and yes we make them in any custom color and finish :D

18. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Member

Do you have pictures of the 20" version of your wheels?

19. Doctt

Doctt Member