TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

21" Wheel Rotational Direction

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by JakeP, Oct 20, 2012.

1. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

The new splash image on the Tesla homepage shows a Silver Model S whose turbine wheels appear to be installed in the "wrong" direction of rotation, compared to all the other images I recall seeing:

TMS Silver hero_motortrend_2012-10-19.jpg

Question for owners: is there a direction of rotation to the 21" wheels themselves, or does one side of the car always look like a jet engine, and the other side looks like a windmill, in terms of blade orientation? In other words, are there two wheels intended for the left side and two wheels for the right side, or are all four wheels identical?

If these are "backwards", would that impact aerodynamics or range at all?

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

From my trip to Dania Beach it appears there are not 'right hand' and 'left hand' turbine wheels. So one side will blow out and one side will blow in.

This is displayed in your photo, because almost all of Tesla's photos are of the drivers side.

3. Zextraterrestrial

So, to draft properly, you should be a very, very slight bit offset to one side of the vehicle. + your cornering performance will be better on right turns, barely :wink:

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Hence the wheel holes in the car cover :)

5. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Excellent, I'll have to watch some of the old Get Amped walkaround videos and look for this on the passenger side.

6. Brian H

Brian H Banned

There's a better term for that.
    The Model S sucks and blows at the same time!
    :redface::biggrin:
    :cool: