Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Costco tire center today asking about replacement tires for my 21" wheels (I don't need new tires yet, but I'm curious about supply and prices). Besides being excited to see a Tesla, the guy taking care of me was very helpful. When he didn't see the size of rear tires (265/35/21) on his computer, he called Michelin in Tokyo. Michelin Japan does not carry that size tire. They have the 265/30/21, but that knocks another chunk off the already low-profile sidewall.

Now I wonder if Tesla will be the only supplier for the tires...

I was at the Costco tire center today asking about replacement tires for my 21" wheels (I don't need new tires yet, but I'm curious about supply and prices). Besides being excited to see a Tesla, the guy taking care of me was very helpful. When he didn't see the size of rear tires (265/35/21) on his computer, he called Michelin in Tokyo. Michelin Japan does not carry that size tire. They have the 265/30/21, but that knocks another chunk off the already low-profile sidewall.

Are there aftermarket tire sites that deliver to Japan? In the US we use tirerack.com and save quite a bit of money when our Porsche or previous BMW X5's needed new tires. Best of luck!

When I had to have a 21" replaced at the end of winter, Tesla was the only supplier I could find. Charge was around ¥65,000 for 1, compared to around $290 on some US sites... but I didn't have time to wait for delivery and I assume air freight would have been expensive too.

(Also in my local area at least it seems some places cannot deal with fitting 21" tyres, even if I had managed to source one myself...)

Why did you have to change the 21? Did you get any nails?

I clipped the corner of a brick in our very narrow parking area while reversing at about 0.3 metres/second speed :( But in cold weather, outside temp near to 0C and the tyre was slashed and unrepairable :(

It took several days to fix, but I am just happy that it happened at home and not while out somewhere.

Now that I remember, I also have had one nail in a separate incident. Actually more like a large bolt, but firmly stuck deep into the tyre. Tesla did a repair for this one rather than full replacement. It was also a front tyre but different side to the replaced one, and I have no idea where the bolt came from. (And it seems like a lot of tyre troubles so far considering I have only driven just over 4,000km in this car... but I guess this is partly bad luck and partly a consequence of the 21" tyres where we previously had at most 19" tyres on our other cars).

I've just ordered a set of gray 19" wheels from tsportline. I'll fit them with some Michelin all-season primacies in the fall and see how the tread is on the 21". The timing may be good them to exchange the rears at least. I'll probably drive 4 months on the 19" and the other 8 on the 21". I don't see enough snow here for winter tires.

Of course Tesla is not the only supplier for tire and other accessories. In China, my friends, he is a super Tesla fans, he offered many accessories for Tesla, They also have 21'' tires, but the tire is 245/35/21, can you double check the model? Is that in China the Tesla tire size is different from Japan. They sold about 50 set this Month. Most car is Model S