Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" winter/snow tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great find artsci. I think I'll try these this Winter. Will the Service Center have a problem (re: will they do this?) mounting the snows on the same wheels as the Summer Performance and then switching back in Spring?

Jerry knows best but I think he's said in the past that doing that too many times can damage the tires so best to have a second set of rims. If you get a second set of rims then you have many better options in the 19" size most likely but the rims may not look as cool.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought of doing the same thing....Problem is I don't want to ruin the 21" rims in NY winter weather with all the salt and sand AFTER it snows. So I wanted the Tesla 19" rims and Pirelli tires for $2400. I just went to link that page and TODAY the price went to $4000.00!!! I just checked this 2 days ago! What happened? New they were too cheap.....

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/winter-wheel-and-tire-set-pirelli

Darn. I was going to at least get those. Price keeps going up on everything.

Jerry knows best but I think he's said in the past that doing that too many times can damage the tires so best to have a second set of rims. If you get a second set of rims then you have many better options in the 19" size most likely

Yes, I think I've heard Jerry say this. I was going to get the new 19" wheels because I like the turbine look, and put the Nokians on them but it doesn't seem as if they'll be available in time for Winter.

I have an email into merchandise@ asking about the price increase. Haven't heard back yet. I didn't do the package last winter because with an early February delivery I figured it was close enough to spring that I didn't want to just have to swap them back out again. Frustrating though. . .sold out. . .sold out. . .sold out. . .BAM! $4k. I have to say that a 67% price increase is pretty damn annoying. Anyone know how the 21" Sottozero's will hold up to potholes? I assume not much better than our summer tires?

Just found these: Pirelli Winter Sottozero Series 3 tires available at TireRack in 21" to fit the Model S 21" wheels. I'm tempted to put these on the 21" wheels during the winter and forgo buying the 19" Lugano turbine wheels, which I have on order from TireRack. Any suggestions?

Depends on what the winter and roads are like where you live. Normally you want less expensive wheels in the winter because they are likely to get dinged up and eaten by road salt anyway. The most cost effective thing to do is to find some used wheels.

Assuming you're thinking of using the same wheels bear in mind that every time you mount and demount a tire you risk damaging it. It's generally best to not mount and demount tires more than you actually have to.

Also if you live where there is a real winter, you need to check the reviews of those tires. Some tires are more for looks and are somewhat lacking in traction.

Has anybody here managed to order the 21" Pirelli tires? I tried to order them in a European Online Shop, they accepted the order but canceled it afterwards due to non-availability. I called then Pirelli directly and they told me that the status is "preparation for production", but no one could tell me when I will be able to buy them. Would be interesting if they can be delivered in the US, maybe they have separate production?

Has anybody here managed to order the 21" Pirelli tires? I tried to order them in a European Online Shop, they accepted the order but canceled it afterwards due to non-availability. I called then Pirelli directly and they told me that the status is "preparation for production", but no one could tell me when I will be able to buy them. Would be interesting if they can be delivered in the US, maybe they have separate production?

Winter tires are generally sold to the dealer during April-June. Then the order is placed with the factory for delivery in the fall. It doesn't sound like these tires will be available this winter.