Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

210K!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see two kinds of thinking by Tesla on this. First is the one they mention in the P100D release: expensive cars funding the development of cheaper cars. But now that other manufacturers are finally stepping up and building (or at least planning to build) decent EVs, Tesla will be facing serious competition for the first time, and they want to keep their place in this many-vendor world as the high-end premium EV company. As they have always said, the market is plenty big for many players, but Tesla may prefer to be a company that focuses on innovation, premium new technology and performance rather than high volume. I'm not sure what that says about the Model 3, but I would guess that it will be the "premium mid-price" EV and Tesla may leave the job of building really basic, inexpensive EVs to others.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
800KM in the summer on highway and 600KM during winter. This is going to be a real killer for ICE cars. There is a reason many ICE cars can achieve 800KM on highway without going to the gas station.

Yes, everyone hates stopping for gas, so the less you do it the better. ;)

Whereas EV owners start every day with a "full tank", and refuelling in the garage is a few seconds to plug in and walk away (no need to hold the nozzle).

I don't see the need for 600 km of range. 350 real world km is all I can drive before I need a bio break!

Yes, everyone hates stopping for gas, so the less you do it the better. ;)

Whereas EV owners start every day with a "full tank", and refuelling in the garage is a few seconds to plug in and walk away (no need to hold the nozzle).

I don't see the need for 600 km of range. 350 real world km is all I can drive before I need a bio break!
unless the time spent on a bio-break is enough to replenish the energy for 300km, whereas in most cases, a no for me. also, as I have said, 4 hours at 120km/hr is a sweet point for me