Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

215/50R18 Tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Researching this more there just aren't many tires made in this 215/50R18 size with XL load, so I don't believe this will be an option. 225/50R18 has quite a few sizes; but they require an 8" wide rim and will not fit 8.5" wide rims. Most model 3 18" rims are 8.5" or larger. I'm not sure if the larger diameter of a 50 series tire would lower range, potentially negating some of the benefit of 225 width.

So I'm thinking the stock 235/45R18 size is likely the best selection if range is a high priority. Below is a list of the # of XL load rated tire options on discounttire.com - this includes products that are out of stock on backorder.

215/50R18
2​
225/50R18
25​
235/45R18
81​
235/40R19
67​
245/40R19
94​
255/40R19
81​
235/35R20
23​
245/35R20
60​
255/35R20
62​

Researching this more there just aren't many tires made in this 215/50R18 size with XL load, so I don't believe this will be an option. 225/50R18 has quite a few sizes; but they require an 8" wide rim and will not fit 8.5" wide rims. Most model 3 18" rims are 8.5" or larger. I'm not sure if the larger diameter of a 50 series tire would lower range, potentially negating some of the benefit of 225 width.

So I'm thinking the stock 235/45R18 size is likely the best selection if range is a high priority. Below is a list of the # of XL load rated tire options on discounttire.com - this includes products that are out of stock on backorder.

215/50R18
2​
225/50R18
25​
235/45R18
81​
235/40R19
67​
245/40R19
94​
255/40R19
81​
235/35R20
23​
245/35R20
60​
255/35R20
62​
Keep in mind that a really big piece of the efficiency of the M3 w/18 inch aero wheels is the wheel covers. So research fast EV wheels or talk to the Mad Hungarian - he's got some wheels that might give you a bit of the best of both worlds, with the appearance of larger wheels and the consumption of the 18 inch aeros.

Keep in mind that a really big piece of the efficiency of the M3 w/18 inch aero wheels is the wheel covers. So research fast EV wheels or talk to the Mad Hungarian - he's got some wheels that might give you a bit of the best of both worlds, with the appearance of larger wheels and the consumption of the 18 inch aeros.
Yeah, the FastEV EV01 is the only aero wheel I see that fits M3 Performance calipers. FastEV EV01(+) Wheels for Tesla Model 3 18

If stock wheels fit I'd probably just buy a set of those, they don't fit M3 Performance. I'm not sure how much 3rd party covers or the EV01 helps. I've seen some different 3rd party Gemini wheel covers for Model Y and on some reviews those products are all even worse than bare stock wheels; except the Tesla covers which only add a couple percent.

If those EV01 gave a 10% range boost I'd probably buy them and live with the look not being my favorite. But if its only a 1-2% boost I'd rather just have something like TSportline TS5. TS5 18" Tesla Model 3 Wheel (Set of 4)

Just doesn't seem like theres a lot of data out there of different 18" wheel options impact on range.

@MacO512 There's a fair amount of published test results for the effectiveness of OEM aero wheel covers. The benefit is real.

For example, with the Model 3 specifically:

Now if you're talking about aftermarket covers from eBay/Amazon/Alibaba to stick on wheels that weren't even meant for them, sure, I can't say I'm surprised if they're bogus. Tesla takes aerodynamics very seriously though, there is no way they're going to phone in the aero covers.

(I don't feel a need for aero wheels/covers, the range and efficiency of this car is pretty great already just with non-aero 18s and I like having some airflow around my brakes, plus the visual aspect, but if highway efficiency is your top goal then real aero wheels are definitely worthwhile. Not eBay/Amazon hubcaps though.)

Reactions: MacO512
@MacO512 There's a fair amount of published test results for the effectiveness of OEM aero wheel covers. The benefit is real.

For example, with the Model 3 specifically:

Now if you're talking about aftermarket covers from eBay/Amazon/Alibaba to stick on wheels that weren't even meant for them, sure, I can't say I'm surprised if they're bogus. Tesla takes aerodynamics very seriously though, there is no way they're going to phone in the aero covers.

(I don't feel a need for aero wheels/covers, the range and efficiency of this car is pretty great already just with non-aero 18s and I like having some airflow around my brakes, plus the visual aspect, but if highway efficiency is your top goal then real aero wheels are definitely worthwhile. Not eBay/Amazon hubcaps though.)
The Tesla Aero wheels don't fit on a model 3 performance so that's not an option for me.

That article is good, shows about a 2.5% improvement with covers on. I can live without that benefit. However I'm not sure of efficiency difference from stock Tesla 18" wheel naked vs aftermarket 18" that fit.

The Tesla Aero wheels don't fit on a model 3 performance so that's not an option for me.

That article is good, shows about a 2.5% improvement with covers on. I can live without that benefit. However I'm not sure of efficiency difference from stock Tesla 18" wheel naked vs aftermarket 18" that fit.
I think the Fast EV01 aero wheels you linked to are legit, and should about the same efficiency as the Tesla aeros. To me that's the wheel to get for max efficiency on M3P PUP. Personally I'd much sooner run aero wheels if I really wanted that extra efficiency, than resort to terrible performing eco tires like the MXM4. Those tires are a line I won't cross anymore (tried them once on our P85, never again).

The Tesla 18s without their covers are a fairly open spoke design. Without the covers I doubt there's any significant difference vs a similar looking aftermarket wheel.

If anything, I'd guess an especially light aftermarket wheel (typically forged) might have a small efficiency advantage when accelerating and decelerating just from the weight savings.

But it is up to you to decide, but I would check for sure with my insurance company first.
Fun stories about insurance:

Falling off a trailer while washing it counts as "using" a trailer and insurance must pay:

Getting an STD in a car is a covered situation:

But yeah, longer than stock braking distances? Denied.

• Funny
Reactions: rcnesneg and tm1v2
I'd love to see the insurance contract that covers this and what it says.
If it does, it would also cover any changes, even if they "improved" performance. Like wider tires. That are more likely to hydroplane.

Does anyone actually know of a case where this happened, where an insurance company denied coverage on the whole accident because of a mod to the car?
Your gut is right; this is an internet myth.

You could be high on every drug imaginable and drive your car at 100mph into a school, and your insurance will cover up to your contract. Yes, your insurance company will at best deny future coverage and at worst sue you for additional damages, but it is a complete myth that insurance companies will just arbitrarily deny your contracted payout based on any non-stock alteration.

What is a bit more plausible is getting sued in civil court for negligence or even wreckless endangerment after the fact. In most cases, as long as you check basic numbers (like the tires load rating), it will likely just be a waste of money for everyone. If you have 245s instead of 235s and hydroplane into oncoming traffic, it would be REALLY) hard to prove that your 245s were the culprit or even a notable contribution. What is more likely is that you’d be cited for driving faster than the conditions allowed.

I found one extreme case where a guy caused an accident that killed a van full of people on the highway. His truck was lifted 12”, he was towing above his truck’s limits, and driving 15mph over the speed limit at the time. Insurance wasn’t an issue, but I believe the victims’ family took everything but his skin in civil court.

So I was looking at the Crossclimate 2 in stock 18 size; then I it is available on backorder in 215/50R18 92V SL BSW. Would have to buy an 8" wide rim though.

92 load tire is 1389lb x 4 = 5,556
Model 3 Performance curb weight is about 4000 lbs so thats ~1500 lbs for passengers and cargo. Can't imagine I exceed that. But I'm not sure why normally model 3 is matched to XL load tires if this SL tire could work. Maybe I'm missing something.

Seems if this is feasible it could provide a range benefit, especially on winter trips. Bonus that the tire can be used year round, one of the only all season tires that has 3 peak winter tire designations. Perfect for a long trip that could go through snow in the winter but hot temperatures in southwest as well.

So I was looking at the Crossclimate 2 in stock 18 size; then I it is available on backorder in 215/50R18 92V SL BSW. Would have to buy an 8" wide rim though.

Model 3 Performance curb weight is about 4000 lbs so thats ~1500 lbs for passengers and cargo. Can't imagine I exceed that. But I'm not sure why normally model 3 is matched to XL load tires if this SL tire could work. Maybe I'm missing something.

Seems if this is feasible it could provide a range benefit, especially on winter trips. Bonus that the tire can be used year round, one of the only all season tires that has 3 peak winter tire designations. Perfect for a long trip that could go through snow in the winter but hot temperatures in southwest as well.
XL tires allow for higher pressure (41 psi) at max load vs SL tires (35 psi). Teslas run high pressure for efficiency, therefore XL is needed.

• Informative
Reactions: MacO512 and tm1v2
XL tires allow for higher pressure (41 psi) at max load vs SL tires (35 psi). Teslas run high pressure for efficiency, therefore XL is needed.
But only if one cares about efficiency. If one wants more comfort and plans to run 35 psi anyway, no real reason bother with XL-rated tires.
But in doing so, don't expect manufacturers to honor their road hazard warranties on a car that came with XL-rated OEM tires.

Reactions: Skavatar
Imho, 18x8 is a perfect all rounder for the m3p. I went with two different designs of 18x8, a bUberturbine and a C4EV.
The bUberturbines currently have Nokian hakka EV snows
20230125_110916.jpg

The C4EV have PSAS4's
20230113_063206.jpg

Yes just pray you don't ever have to make a panic stop. If you do just allow an extra 50 ft and you'll be good! 😀

• Disagree
Reactions: rcnesneg

Good insight, thanks. Yes the whole reason to get 215/50R18 would be for efficiency; so I'd want to run ~45PSI.

So appears stock 18 size is likely best; or perhaps 225/50R18 if I happen to get a wheel that is 8".... but I'm not seeing many 8" options I like.

For snow tires I'm really liking the idea of CrossClimate2.... yes they are an all season, but they are the only all season to have the 3 peak snow tire logo and review better than any other all season in snow. Being in Texas, there's ski trips to Colorado where I can hit a ton of snow but on the same trip hit hot temperatures in the south so having "snow" tires that don't melt in the heat would be great. Plus just the general flexibility to use any time of the year is nice too.

Not certain what range impact they will have, appears everything is ~5-15% worse than MXM4's for range.

Good insight, thanks. Yes the whole reason to get 215/50R18 would be for efficiency; so I'd want to run ~45PSI.

So appears stock 18 size is likely best; or perhaps 225/50R18 if I happen to get a wheel that is 8".... but I'm not seeing many 8" options I like.
You need 15% lower pressure than stock on 21t/50 r18. So target ~35-36 psi according to Tire Pressure Calculator

And there are no XL tires in such size exists in nature.