Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

215 miles one way - Reassure me pls....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done enough trips in my Roadster but always trips where destination and back was less than 160 miles. Now I'm thinking about a trip across the state which is 215 miles from home..It's a little scary contemplating that there are no known chargepoints along the way (there is a Tesla store and an HPC at the other end) but I'm sure many of you have done that in range mode lots of times without difficulty....right?

P.S. I'm sure I can control my right foot not to be heavy when driving the Interstate.

That's funny you post this. I'm planning on a similar road trip in April but hadn't put the actual addresses in to see how far it was. It's 217 miles so I'd like to know as well. I've only done 160 mile round trips as well. I'm not sure if I'll be able to drive 60 mph on the highways here though.

I've done enough trips in my Roadster but always trips where destination and back was less than 160 miles. Now I'm thinking about a trip across the state which is 215 miles from home..It's a little scary contemplating that there are no known chargepoints along the way (there is a Tesla store and an HPC at the other end) but I'm sure many of you have done that in range mode lots of times without difficulty....right?

P.S. I'm sure I can control my right foot not to be heavy when driving the Interstate.

• Full Range Mode charge obviously! Hit Top Up before you leave.
  • Don't go over 55 mph.
  • Use the cruise control to make sure you keep your speed down.
  • Set the VDS so you can see the Wh/mile display.
  • Keep the average Wh/mile no more than 235. That should leave you 20 miles spare range.
  • If you want to go a little faster, try drafting a truck. But keep an eye on Wh/mile to make sure you're getting what you need.
  • Set your GPS to show distance remaining. After 30 miles of the trip start comparing Estimated Range with Distance to Go from the GPS. If the former is bigger than the latter, you're good. Keep an eye on it - very comforting!
  • If it looks like you're going to fall short, SLOW DOWN.

That's funny you post this. I'm planning on a similar road trip in April but hadn't put the actual addresses in to see how far it was. It's 217 miles so I'd like to know as well. I've only done 160 mile round trips as well. I'm not sure if I'll be able to drive 60 mph on the highways here though.

Usually there are secondary highways that allow for slower speeds. Plan your route accordingly.

Keep your EM at or above your IM. If the terrain is hilly, the Wh/m will vary quite a bit and may even freak you out -- let it average out and stick to all these recommendations. Always leave room for mistakes, detours, etc ... and no HVAC.

I've also noticed Wh/m showing very high during the first portion of the trip while regen is disabled due to range mode charge. Again, don't freak out when you see that happen. (speaking from experience)

Make sure you have a charged phone and various phone numbers to call (Tesla Roadside, your CA, etc.) and bring the spare mobile with a long *heavy duty* extension cord in case you do get into a situation where you just need to put a few miles of charge in.

If you hit "unknown range" left, remember that you have about 20 miles (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but drive very gently and no more than 40mph.

Have you made this particular trip before? (are you familiar with the roads?)

Usually there are secondary highways that allow for slower speeds. Plan your route accordingly.

Hi Nigel,

Following Doug's advice, you might consider taking Clark Rd (SR-70) East to Arcadia, then Rt-27 South past Palmdale, at about 2/3rds of the way there's an RV Park in Belle Glade a few miles off of Rt-27. Then back on Rt-27 to I-75, then I-595 to I-95 to Dania Beach.

I've never taken this route, but its still 215 miles along much slower roads with an RV Park (Lotts Trailer Park) along the way just in case. I can't picture driving at 55 mph along Alligator Alley. :scared:

Food for thought.

Larry

While I have gone that far on a charge it can be stressful if there is no plan B. You do need to set the cruise and drive for range. As I can tell people I can go far or fast but not both. If you do not run the HVAC and keep the speed at 60 or below I think you will be fine. The unknowns that have bitten me is driving into a strong headwind, or bad rain where I have to run the heat and AC to keep the windows clear. Things like the weather are out of your control.

Great tips guys...Thanks Doug_G especially for the details. Everything in Florida is flat and warm, I know the roads and fortunately if I make the trip it will be later this month when there's no need for HVAC.

Larry, yes Alligator Alley is the scary bit as it's 85 miles (late in the total distance!) and there's pretty much nowhere to charge from start to finish, but plenty of gators...:crying:

Good information. Thanks as well and thanks NigelM for starting the thread. Useful information. There's a Nissan dealership halfway along my route. I'm going to see if they'll let me charge there for an hour so that's my backup plan.

I've driven over 230 miles on a charge twice, no elevation changes to speak of, no A/C, no heat, soft top on. At 55, I can consistently match ideal miles, especially if I use cruise control to keep me disciplined.

Larry, yes Alligator Alley is the scary bit as it's 85 miles (late in the total distance!) and there's pretty much nowhere to charge from start to finish, but plenty of gators...:crying:

Hi Nigel,

Yes, I might consider Alligator Alley with a 300 mile Model S battery, but with the Roadster that would be very scary to try without stopping to charge at an RV park near Naples.

On the route I mentioned earlier for the return trip, there's also an RV park located in Arcadia, (Toby's RV Resort) about 3/4 of the way back from Dania Beach.

Larry