TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2170 battery cell production has begun!!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ModelNforNerd, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

• Like x 2
  2. bradbrok

bradbrok Member

Called it! I'm going to guess a 100kWh pack on the Model 3 as well. We'll see ranges up to or approaching 400 miles on their higher end packs.

3. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

I am super curious whether tesla can sel Powerwall and Powerpacks to match 2170 production until they can start stocking cels for Model 3.
    I bet they can (and thus, have to) ramp up quick enough to start making Model S/X packsfrom 2170's. Beginning with a 120-130kWh one of course. Most appropriate for the Model X with its higher drag factor and towing capacity. With 2170's being much cheaper than 18650's, NOT making as many 2170's as soon as possible to get them into S/X cars car will be equal to saying NO to profits and higher stock prices. Did Faraday Future just announce as 130kWh car? How long can Tesla afford to not offer what others are promising?

I'd love to know what kind of production volume rampup we're talking about here. How much will GF1 eventually be able to put out, and when should it hit 10% or 20% of that?

• Like x 1
  4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Until these others actually deliver something with the announced/promised battery capacities? So far, only the Bolt EV comes anywhere close to Tesla.

5. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

I can only agree, Tesla is ahead. But still, if an almost-startup company wants to sell 500,000 Model 3 a year, it will do well to make sure the luxury cars are still in the lead then.
    Other companies are working on long range battery technologies. Tesla has commited, doubled down, to the 2170 format. It needs to make the very best of it. And needs to make and sell as many as they can, before others hit the market with competing cells or units. See how Tesla buyers are waiting for the 100D. Others may hold out for a Faraday Future if Tesla holds back the good stuff.

6. larmor

larmor Active Member

Really would like to have another 80-100 miles range for the X. The 300 mile range is a sweet spot for US traveling, d/t distances in the US, family requirements with more energy usage, luggage, bags, and weather issues, a 330 rated miles for the X would give 300 usable miles. The downside is 'are we there yet' chanting will increase.

7. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

While I agree there will be competitors to challenge Tesla's dominance of the premium EV market, I feel pretty confident that Faraday Future will not be among them.

8. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

300 Miles would be great on the M3

9. ModelNforNerd

I think we'll get more than 300 on the biggest pack, even if it's just to to thumb his nose at GM and the Bolt.

Because clearly the base model is going to come out with more than 238.

• Like x 2
  10. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

I so hope you are right. If the base battery could squeeze out 250 miles, I would be so pumped. All my family is now here in PA, so I would mainly be doing local driving, an occasional trip to Jersey (once or twice a year) to visit my wife friend is pretty much all we do.

11. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Getting back to original thread topic, here's a short video of 2170 cells coming off the production line at the Gigafactory. It was originally posted by Tesla on Facebook, but since removed. This copy was saved and posted on Twitter by Model3OwnersClub:
    Twitter

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  12. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I might poo myself if the base 3 has 250 miles of range plus a 400+kW charging capacity.

• Funny x 1
  13. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

400 kw charging is pretty much impossible with current technology. And tbh atm we cant even fully utilize the 135kw the supercharging the superchargers provide. Youll be lucky to get 120kw from 10-40%

14. ModelNforNerd

current technology....as in the packs in the S and X?

the 3 is getting an entirely new pack to complement its new battery form factor. so who knows....maybe 400kw charging will be a software update away.

15. FloridaJohn

FloridaJohn Member

I wondered what happened to that. I saw it on FB and was going to paste a link in this thread, but could never find it again on FB.

16. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

I'd like to hear from someone with slightly deeper battery tech insights on how the bigger cells might impact charge speed. The cells are reportedly of very similar voltage (unconfirmed, right?),but due to the bigger size logically much less numerous. Let's say roughly 6,000 cells vs 8,000 or so currently in a P100D. But net, there would be a bigger energy capacity with a similar layout, not in the least due to the 70mm vs 65mm length of the 2170 cells.
    How will the LOWER number, BIGGER cells, with equal chemistry, impact C rate? Even with equal Crate, we know that the more optimal size of the 2170 will boost pack capacity quite a bit. And there's the 5mm(7.7%) additional height utilization.
    But how does 100kWh in BIG cells compared to 100kWh in counter proportionately MORE SMALLER cells in terms of charge and discharge rate? I'd love to learn how this typically works. Say, for AAA vs AA which seems relevant.
    Thanks!

• Like x 1
  17. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Oh, is that how it works?

In that case I promise an autonomous, pressurized, 6 seat EV flying car quad-copter with a 60'000 ft surface ceiling, 5000 lbs useful load, that can circumnavigate the globe twice on a single charge, and recharge in 5 minutes! Oh, and FAA certified. (Funnily enough, the last one is the really difficult part...).

But since I now promised it, Tesla has to build it!

• Like x 2
  18. ModelNforNerd

Faraday Future is currently running an internal competition.....can they achieve as many vehicle reservations as they have executive defections.

Honestly, until the Faraday Future factory is more than a flattened patch of dirt, I wouldn't worry too much about what they've PROMISED. You'd be better off focusing on what Tesla has actually DONE.

• Like x 1
  19. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Surely you've noticed that Tesla is never assessed on a level playing field?

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  20. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

Earlier this week Tesla announced the current production run will supply the Powerwalls, which are also built in Nevada. They also indicated cell production will begin for the Model 3 later this year.